FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bullheads by boat or from shore?  (Read 7601 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Bullheads by boat or from shore?
« on: Apr 17, 2004, 11:04 PM »
I recently saw a post refer to catching Bullhead from a boat. I wonder how common boat fishing for Bullheads is?

How do you fish for them? Do you fish by day or night?

By boat:
Do you boat to a spot and anchor up to fish for Bullhead?
Do you float until you find some, then anchor and stay put?
Do you float an area, fishing your bait dragging on the bottom?

By Shore:
There are only so many options, I guess?

-Reelcharacter

Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: Bullheads by boat or from shore?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2004, 02:50 PM »
I have never purposely fished for these fish but I have caught hundreds while fishing for walleye. I have caught them trolling with spinners but the majority have been on jigs or pickerel rigs. Man I had one sting me once with it's stinger. Ouch and did my hand ever swell. Must of had an allergic reaction. It went away after a couple of hours and a few beer. I mean ice. ;)
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

reelcharacter

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2004, 11:06 PM »
Big Walley,

That beer is necessary to slightly warm the ice to prevent frost-bite.  :)

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

hosscletuslulu

• PERCHPULLER
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2004, 06:13 AM »
We use the boat to get to some of our spots but then we set up on shore but Im sure once you found some you could just ancor and fish over the side nothing too scientific about bulls just give them something to eat on a hook(worms leeches hot dogs rotten meat)about anything works whene they're runnin'

reelcharacter

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2004, 11:32 PM »
That was my thinking. The fishing is usually either hot or not  for Bullhead. Wondered if anyone ever dragged a line or two in likely areas until a hit or two indicated a location where they were. You know, prospecting by boat. Then drop anchor, line and fish . . .

Or, just continue draging a weighted line with bait back and forth through an area.

-Reelcharacter

techyfisher

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2004, 10:30 AM »
A relative of my wife goes up to Dexter swamp using his 14 footer. He made a trip there last thursday and they came out with about 80 nice bullhead between 3 of them. There are places a boat is desireable.

hosscletuslulu

• PERCHPULLER
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2004, 06:45 AM »
No doubt boats are good but everytime I start a fire on board bad things happen ;D

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2004, 01:54 PM »
I only fished for them from the boat once. It was very discouraging. Keeping the lines taught was a challenge. Even with two anchors the boat still moved somewhat. The creek that I fish is very marshy and muddy. So what I do now is boat to the spot, push the boat up into the cattails and fish from shore in the boat. If there is nothing there we push out and move down a little till we find them and do it again.
Harold

cnyfishing

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2005, 02:07 PM »
I've never fished for bullheads from a boat. I think that it would be to hard to keep the lines tight. Plus it id to hard to have a fire on a boat.
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2005, 04:03 PM »
I can't ever imagine why anyone would fish for Bullheads on purpose.  I guess it's like fishing for pretty carp,  some knuckleheads have more time and money than brains. ;D :evil: :rotflol: :w00t: :flag:  Just pulling some legs fellas. ;)

Mike

Hookset

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2005, 09:05 AM »
some knuckleheads have more time and money than brains. ;D

Ouch, well I've been called worse than  knucklehead.  I don't necessarily target bullheads, but I do hook quite a few while catfishing.  They're still fun, albeit not nearly as large as their big cousins.  I fish from my boat.  I anchor with the bow pointing in to the current and fish off of the stern, casting downstream.  As you can imagine, the current of the river keeps the line tight.  I like to cast around structural lines that create a natural pathway for the fish to follow.  I catch many of the bullheads shallower than the cats, but they are mixed in everywhere.  I start fishing just before dusk and go until there is no bait or I am falling asleep.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

reubenpa

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2005, 09:40 AM »
I used to think it was crazy to Mike, until I tasted the spring run bulls here in the finger lakes. My wife baked some last spring and I gingerly bit into them as teh last time I had eaten one, I had about thrown it up!!!!!  I took one bite and couldn't get enough of them. They were awesome so I will be targeting them, and I think I will try my little boat this year
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Polar

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2005, 06:33 PM »
I used to think it was crazy to Mike, until I tasted the spring run bulls here in the finger lakes. My wife baked some last spring and I gingerly bit into them as teh last time I had eaten one, I had about thrown it up!!!!!  I took one bite and couldn't get enough of them. They were awesome so I will be targeting them, and I think I will try my little boat this year

Bullheads are great eating. I perfer to fish them from the bank,you could use a boat but I believe it's going to be more of a disadvantage. (keeping lines tight)

Pan Handler

« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2005, 09:21 PM »
I've done both. Do all of you guys forget that you can use bobbers to catch wooly bullies as well? I've caught many by fishing for walleyes, or perch, or whatever, with a simple bobber-bait setup. No tight lines needed there. Or else buy a Wolf River Rig, and let it sit on the bottom. Tight lines there, and its possible in a boat. ph.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.