FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 519105 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1680 on: Sep 25, 2017, 10:55 AM »
interesting thought

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1681 on: Sep 26, 2017, 03:50 AM »
I have peppers , peppers and more peppers. All 3 jalapeņo plants are producing more and the purple and green bell have fruit . My zucchini plants have several new squash and I really have to pick my strawberries tonight.

This weather is crazy. Gonna be 90 again today. Sunday high of maybe 60. Suite me. We're making apple sauce and salsa this weekend ;D

Anybody ever use a pasta roller to make filo dough? I was thinking of baking up some apple treats like ravioli. Might even try deep frying some.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #1682 on: Sep 26, 2017, 04:19 PM »
sorry i missed it this year but next year the pickle challenge will be on bob....watch out. ;)
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1683 on: Sep 26, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Hah!
I ain't worried ;D

Just opened a new jar of the first batch. Quite zingy :)

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #1684 on: Sep 26, 2017, 04:32 PM »
 :sleep1:
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1685 on: Sep 26, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Hey Dom.....
Peppers are perennials eh?
What the chance of pruning one back, mulching heavy and having it come back next season?

Bob

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1686 on: Sep 27, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Not a chance unless you live in Mexico.......
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1687 on: Sep 27, 2017, 05:35 PM »
My brown leaves I have to walk through to get to the garden....

Lots of stuff to harvest.......

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1688 on: Sep 27, 2017, 05:56 PM »
There aren't many leaves falling here yet, but Monday morning I was chasing brookies high up in the Greens and it was a whole lot like fall there. 68° at 11:00 am when we headed down and 84° when we got out.   :D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1689 on: Sep 28, 2017, 04:12 AM »
Looks great Dom. Sure wish I had your space. We plan on cooking/canning this weekend. Sauce, salsa and applesauce. I'll be pulling the rest of the tomatoes and probably the peppers. I'll use them in the sauce and salsa.

I've got an idea to make some deep fried apple raviolis too. Been looking at making pastry dough with the pasta roller.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1690 on: Sep 28, 2017, 04:23 AM »
Question......
Any of you guys ever try freezing sauce or applesauce in a muffin pan and then vacuum sealing and storing the "sauce muffins"?

I ran across this technique on the Foodsaver website and thought I might give it a try on the next batch rather than canning it.

Rg

tomturkey

« Reply #1691 on: Sep 28, 2017, 04:55 AM »
I need to pick up my apples for sauce this weekend. I use a mix of Cortland's and Jonathans. I simply take out the bud end and slice. I then cook them up in one of my mothers Wear Ever Dutch ovens. They are then run through a Wear Ever sieve. The sauce ends up with a nice red color with no seeds or peelings.. I will only be doing a total of one bushel this year. I used to do more but since I have bought all of the kids the stuff to do there own, they are on there own.

To freeze I simply put it in a freezer bag, squeeze out the air and stack them in the freezer. It takes a little longer for the sauce to freeze but they take less room and stay stacked in a small box. I will be cutting down on the amount of sauce in the bags this year as the wife can not eat that much since her gastric surgery.

When I first made some for my step grandsons they would not eat the red apple sauce as they were used to the store bought anemic looking white sauce. Now they only want the red stuff as it tastes better.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #1692 on: Sep 28, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Question......
Any of you guys ever try freezing sauce or applesauce in a muffin pan and then vacuum sealing and storing the "sauce muffins"?

I ran across this technique on the Foodsaver website and thought I might give it a try on the next batch rather than canning it.

Rg

I have used ice cube trays to freeze pesto, prior to sealing and freezing. It helped to make portions out of an abundance of pesto. No we just pull out as many cubes ad we need, depending on the # of plates we are serving

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1693 on: Sep 28, 2017, 07:43 AM »
We like our applesauce a little chunky. Apples are peeled and cored and sliced with one of those twirly gizmos. Works great. I'm thinking I'm gonna freeze the bags of sauce and then vacuum them down. Shouldn't be too hard to do. It's just for my Bride and I. My Daughter likes that Motts stuff and my Son makes his own.

We like a mix of macs and cortlands.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1694 on: Sep 28, 2017, 08:11 AM »
We always freeze our sauces (apple and tomato) in a rectangular cake pan. Once frozen, we pop it out of the pan onto the cutting board, cut it into squares, and then vacuum seal it. Flat squares stack better in the freezer.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.