FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 519136 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2370 on: Jul 04, 2018, 07:09 AM »
Thanks for reminding me....I have to go check a couple patches .

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2371 on: Jul 04, 2018, 07:57 AM »
I've never seen a huckleberry around here.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

filetandrelease

« Reply #2372 on: Jul 04, 2018, 08:11 AM »

There is a huckleberry Bush  in the yard that is older than I , many many pies and muffins have been made from its bounty

tomturkey

« Reply #2373 on: Jul 04, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Years ago we were at a trappers convention at Fred Bear's museum out side of Grayling. We were camped next to a big huckkle berry patch. One morning I was going to fix pancakes so I sent the three boys to get some berries to put in the pan cakes.  I think that there more berries in the pan cakes than batter. I have not have that good of pancakes since.

I have a small patch on my property. I have not decided to tell my son to look or keep them to my self. It depends on whether I want to be a nice dad or not. :-\

filetandrelease

« Reply #2374 on: Jul 04, 2018, 10:46 AM »

How else would you have pancakes 😉

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2375 on: Jul 04, 2018, 11:06 AM »
I do have an elderberry bush though. It's been responsible for many pies, cobblers, jams, pancakes, and wines. The biggest thing with that is getting them before the birds!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2376 on: Jul 04, 2018, 01:47 PM »
There was a whole hedgerow of elderberries on the farm I used to hunt. 4 generations of family......and it was one of the annual outings to pick berries. Recipes were passed down and followed meticulously. Sure hope the next generation is smart enough to pay attention.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2377 on: Jul 04, 2018, 04:38 PM »

Garden is starting to really take off with the sunshine and rain we have been getting!

My lovely bride has been the caretaker for the most part with me working out of town, she's doing a marvelous job! The "pest" battle has begun with birds getting the raspberries, bunny rabbits getting the strawberries, and the dreaded Jap beetles reeking havoc on everything, so as we speak I have the sprinkler on the veggies and before bed I will treat everything with neem oil. Hope everyone is enjoying the Holiday as much as I am, just being home with Lisa and the dogs and playing in the garden is my kind of party! Oh, Runnings has a sale of 50% off all live plants so I got 2 new blueberry bushes for 7$ each :D The one with all the berries was from a local nursery I paid 30$ quite the difference, but hey I have all the time in the world for them to grow. Time to start stocking up on the Pickling supplies  8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2378 on: Jul 04, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Enjoy my friend! Nothing much better then time spent in the gardens.

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #2379 on: Jul 04, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Enjoy my friend! Nothing much better then time spent in the gardens.

Rg
Sure isn't. And you appreciate it that much more when you're away for a while....

boondox

« Reply #2380 on: Jul 04, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Pictures of the garden
Ghost pepper.

Green peppers above the ghost pepper

Tomato plants

Squashes and cucumber plants

Any how dry year right now.. we been watering our grasz like crazy..  just noticed the watch dogs not doing her job..  the rabits got to the ghost pepper a tad..

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2381 on: Jul 04, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Looks awesome Ed...  Better than mine...   :P :P :P   You and Lisa have a great piece of property there...
Spent my day in the boat at raquette with my bride and son , tubing , swimming and showing them loserville good time... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

deerefishyfishy

« Reply #2382 on: Jul 04, 2018, 08:15 PM »
The gardens are looking great guys! I'll try to get a few shots of mine posted one of these days. I just mowed off the asparagus bed today so it can grow uninterrupted for the rest of the year. Thanks for the beetle replies RG and Dom. I found another idea that seems to help also, but you have to have bored neighbor kids with chickens! They carried 4 of them around my raspberry bushes tonight until the chickens quit eating and I got rid of a few hundred beetles. Unfortunately, it hardly made a dent. Hopefully this will become a nightly ritual! I also put 4 beetle traps out today on the outskirts of my yard... can't hurt anything to try

Do you think fish go home and lie about all the bait they stole?

Early to bed, early to rise
Fish all day and make up lies...

There's a reason they call it fishing, not catching.

zwiggles

« Reply #2383 on: Jul 04, 2018, 08:43 PM »
I found another idea that seems to help also, but you have to have bored neighbor kids with chickens! They carried 4 of them around my raspberry bushes tonight until the chickens quit eating and I got rid of a few hundred beetles. Unfortunately, it hardly made a dent. Hopefully this will become a nightly ritual! I also put 4 beetle traps out today on the outskirts of my yard... can't hurt anything to try

Get a few mason jars and have the kids just pick them off the plants and fill the jars. Then dump out the jars in the chickens pen. It is not super effective, as you mentioned, but I get a kick out watching the birds gobble them up.

drowndin dots

« Reply #2384 on: Jul 04, 2018, 09:28 PM »

I do have another garden of sorts.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.