FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518772 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3540 on: Jun 16, 2020, 06:20 PM »
Must have been National BLT day. We had them too. The tomatoes were......well.....lackluster. Can't wait for my Mr. Stripey's.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3541 on: Jun 16, 2020, 08:19 PM »
Been eating off my garden like a king for weeks now. Lots of work.into it and she gives back.

Wicked Wec

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #3542 on: Jun 16, 2020, 10:48 PM »
man im jealous that garden makes mine look sick all i do is feed the rabbits with my pepper plants.Im three weeks from a tomato.Pumpkins havent even flowered
Try grating up a couple bars of irish spring soap and put it around the plants/garden. Believe it or not, it really works

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #3543 on: Jun 16, 2020, 10:52 PM »
My lettuce and spinach are done, they did great though. I'm going to do a fall crop of both. the rest of thbe garden is doing great. My barrel potatoes are going crazy, I can't wait to harvest them and see what i get.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3544 on: Jun 17, 2020, 01:18 PM »
My Brussels sprouts bolted and blossomed. I should have known better. Too early and warm for them. I'll plant more in the beds after I pull the spinach in a couple weeks.

Broccoli seems ok though.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3545 on: Jun 17, 2020, 01:28 PM »
My Brussels sprouts bolted and blossomed. I should have known better. Too early and warm for them. I'll plant more in the beds after I pull the spinach in a couple weeks.

Broccoli seems ok though.
Rg

Oh man, I planted my Brussel sprouts last weekend of May, hopefully it wasn’t too soon too.

Although they are mostly for my daughter’s pet rabbit

taxid

« Reply #3546 on: Jun 17, 2020, 10:48 PM »
Anybody have any recommendations for a electric pump to pull surface pond water to sprinkler feed a garden? I'm using well water via a garden hose, but it's really cold and seems to shock the plants even in the early morning or late evening. I have used a sump pumps in a five gallon bucket to move water, but they  don't have PSI needed for a sprinkler or garden hose nozzle. (30 psi minimum is needed and yes I've tried a sump pump). I have four ponds on the property so there isn't a lack of warm water.

Two gardens but neither is terrible big so pump does not have to be large. Electric power acmes is not an issue. I could easily bury PVC below the surface of the ground.

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3547 on: Jun 18, 2020, 02:25 AM »
I'd think a shallow well jet pump would do what you need it to. You could use a basket type floating intake to avoid any debris from the pond. Run black plastic pipe to hose bibs at your gardens. Probably in the $2-300 range from a farm supply..

I have the opposite problem. My hoses are commercial grade, black and exposed to the sun fate 10:30  am or so. Measured the water temp coming out of my 100' hose at 125 degrees yesterday afternoon. So...I let it run a while.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #3548 on: Jun 18, 2020, 05:33 AM »
I'd think a shallow well jet pump would do what you need it to. You could use a basket type floating intake to avoid any debris from the pond. Run black plastic pipe to hose bibs at your gardens. Probably in the $2-300 range from a farm supply..

I have the opposite problem. My hoses are commercial grade, black and exposed to the sun fate 10:30  am or so. Measured the water temp coming out of my 100' hose at 125 degrees yesterday afternoon. So...I let it run a while.

Rg

Thanks. Wow 125 degrees is hot! Could you have used white PVC instead?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3549 on: Jun 18, 2020, 12:56 PM »
That's just the garden hoses I haul around. I buried black plastic pipe to my back garden for supply. Everything gets watered by hand with hoses.

taxid

« Reply #3550 on: Jun 18, 2020, 09:16 PM »
That's just the garden hoses I haul around. I buried black plastic pipe to my back garden for supply. Everything gets watered by hand with hoses.

Got it.

taxid

« Reply #3551 on: Jun 18, 2020, 09:20 PM »
Experienced by first cutworm cut offs today. Came out this morning to two sweet corn plants that had been cut off clean at the base. I used Sevin powder the night before due to some leaf eating on other plants, but skipped the corn as the leaves were intact. Live and learn.

Will also start watering only in the morning as one sources says the cutworms like to travel across moist soil at night. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3552 on: Jun 19, 2020, 02:07 AM »
Diatomaceous earth will help a lot. Completely harmless to humans ( unless you snort a big nose full) . Crawling insects will not cross it. Cheap and very effective.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #3553 on: Jun 20, 2020, 01:51 PM »
Diatomaceous earth will help a lot. Completely harmless to humans ( unless you snort a big nose full) . Crawling insects will not cross it. Cheap and very effective.

Rg

Thanks, will give that a shot too. Coffee grounds and egg shells supposed to work too.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3554 on: Jun 20, 2020, 03:51 PM »
Such a small “crop” but this will hopefully soon be my first yellow raspberry, can’t wait to try it. It’s the berries off the one year cane I bought at a nursery, it was already blooming when I got it, and has now sprouted 4-5 new canes in the pot.

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.