FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518765 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4395 on: Aug 09, 2021, 05:57 AM »
1000… :w00t: :w00t:  :flex: :flex: :flex:
 I only have 1  8x4 foot raised bed to do mine.  You must have 10 long rows or more planted..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishinator

« Reply #4396 on: Aug 09, 2021, 07:31 AM »
What do you guys use for pesticides? For the 3rd year in a row my gardens has been destroyed by squash bugs. I tried a neem oil solution last year and it helped a little. This year it seems to have had no effect.  My zucchini,  cucumbers, squash and melons are dead.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4397 on: Aug 09, 2021, 09:28 AM »
I very rarely use any pesticides. When I absolutely have to I use Malathion. I start with a very weak solution. Usually does the trick. I do use it at a max solution on my ornamentals. My asiatic lilies are prone to red lily leaf Beatles. They’ll strip a plant in a couple days if I don’t catch them.

It wipes them out.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinator

« Reply #4398 on: Aug 09, 2021, 12:34 PM »
Trust me, I don't want to use any pesticides but at this point I don't have a choice.  I have tried just about everything.  It's a bummer to spend all the time in the garden just to have bugs wipe it out over night.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4399 on: Aug 09, 2021, 02:07 PM »
Been there….didn’t like it either.

Good luck.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #4400 on: Aug 09, 2021, 04:22 PM »
Some recent visitors to my gardens.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4401 on: Aug 09, 2021, 04:52 PM »
Your grandson I assume…handsome boy. What a gift.

The others are great , but pale in comparison.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4402 on: Aug 09, 2021, 05:02 PM »
I haven’t seen a hummingbird mouth in a couple years .., Great pictures.,,
Especially the tomatoe 🍅 picker..  ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

taxid

« Reply #4403 on: Aug 09, 2021, 08:17 PM »
This forming ear on one of my 12 1/2 foot corn plants is 15 inches long. Or will the ear itself be normal size once it's husked?

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4404 on: Aug 09, 2021, 08:18 PM »
I haven’t seen a hummingbird mouth in a couple years .., Great pictures.,,
Especially the tomatoe 🍅 picker..  ;D

Saw my first one the other day.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Pequod1

« Reply #4405 on: Aug 10, 2021, 02:09 AM »
Nothing better than having your grandson help in the garden.  Something he will always remember. Nice job Bart.
    Thought I might up date my garden news from last year - a disaster.  After all my hard work with raised beds and fencing, I bought a truck load of garden soil from the local Garden Factory  for close to $300.  Nothing grew in it!  I had the soil tested and the PH was 7.8.  It was like planting in drano.  You can imagine how I felt.  This year I emptied most of the soil from the beds ,added organic acid and filled the beds with coast of Maine raised bed soil.  Expensive, but great. My tomatoes probably cost me $500/ lb!  In the picture, if you look at the soil behind the tomatoes, that’s the original garden factory soil.  Not even weeds grow in it! 
You would think I learned my lesson, but no.  I bought some tomato plants from the garden factory and they developed curly leaf virus. Pulled them out and burned them just in time. 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4406 on: Aug 10, 2021, 06:15 AM »
Tax are you sure that’s sweet corn and not cow corn???

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4407 on: Aug 10, 2021, 06:16 AM »
Garden looks great PQ..  To bad about the bad soil…

fishinator

« Reply #4408 on: Aug 10, 2021, 07:10 AM »
those squash bugs got me a couple years ago.  read up on them.
I have read all I can stand to read. Most recommend pulling them off by hand. Or using a neem oil and soap mixture. I had some success with the neem. It's not possible to pick them out of a large patch of cucumbers.  After checking out the suggestion of malathion  I think that's my best bet. I just replanted zucchini,  squash and cucumbers.  I know it's late but I'm hoping to attract them so I can kill them.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4409 on: Aug 10, 2021, 01:57 PM »
It works systemically as I understand it. They recommend waiting 5 days or so to harvest as I remember. You might try some diatomaceous earth as well. It’s completely harmless ( provided you don’t  suck up a lung full. ( I wear a respirator) Crawling pests don’t like it. It’s my go to for slugs. To them it’s like crawling across a field of broken glass.

Don’t really know if the squash bugs would be affected by it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.