FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rescue  (Read 3054 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Rescue
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2022, 08:40 AM »
Hope it survives.. :(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2022, 08:56 AM »
She’s very alert this morning. Hopping around the branches I put in the bucket. I’m going to give her a couple days and release her. Supposed to be single digits tonight and tomorrow and then warming up a bit. I don’t want to keep her too long, but I don’t want her to succumb to the cold not being able to get to where the she should be.

Have you considered taking her to a licensed bird rehabilitator?  If she's eating that's a good sign. One thing I learned about raising animals is an animal that isn't eating is in big trouble.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2022, 09:58 AM »
Well, the little bird was really active this morning so I decided to give it a try outdoors. It ran around the lilac and tried to fly but crashed. She did make her way onto the suet block and ate but fell to the ground when she tried to get back in the tree.

I found a rehabber in Honeoye Falls and took it there. A really nice old guy. He said to call in a week or so for an update. I feel better that it's in the hands of someone who knows how to care for it. It was trying to peck its way out of the box I put in all the way there. So, other than a damaged wing it’s healthy.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2022, 10:58 AM »
Well, the little bird was really active this morning so I decided to give it a try outdoors. It ran around the lilac and tried to fly but crashed. She did make her way onto the suet block and ate but fell to the ground when she tried to get back in the tree.

I found a rehabber in Honeoye Falls and took it there. A really nice old guy. He said to call in a week or so for an update. I feel better that it's in the hands of someone who knows how to care for it. It was trying to peck its way out of the box I put in all the way there. So, other than a damaged wing it’s healthy.

You're a good man! :thumbup_smilie:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2022, 11:37 AM »
Nice Bob…
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

jperch

« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2022, 01:10 PM »
You did all that you could, kudos to you.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2022, 01:15 PM »
Thanks. We’re hoping if it recovers we can release it back into our yard. In any event I’m going to send the rehabber a donation for his time and effort. Gonna miss seeing her at our feeders.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2022, 01:18 PM »
Thanks. We’re hoping if it recovers we can release it back into our yard. In any event I’m going to send the rehabber a donation for his time and effort. Gonna miss seeing her at our feeders.

Give him one of your birdhouses.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2022, 01:50 PM »
It’s an idea but he could probably use some cash more than a decoration.

iceman260

« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2022, 07:33 AM »
Good work Bob, hope the bird heals. Your a good man.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2022, 01:46 PM »
I just hope we get to release it back into our yard.

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2022, 02:24 PM »
I just hope we get to release it back into our yard.

Could end up back in your yard even if it isn't released there. All birds have incredible homing abilities that still aren't fully understood.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2022, 07:47 PM »
I’d be really surprised from 25 miles away.

I’ve always said that woodpeckers aren’t the “smartest” passerine. They’re  slow to figure new things out from what I’ve seen.

Hey….that kind of rhymes!

Mac Attack

« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2022, 01:43 PM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2022, 01:45 PM »
I’ve seen that and I have several bags of corks.

Foolish me was making bobbers out of them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.