FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly Rod Carp  (Read 5394 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Fly Rod Carp
« Reply #30 on: Jun 26, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Skipped boating this morning and went to the creek. There were already 4 trailers at the launch when I finished my walk around 5:30.

Caught a beautiful mirror on a corn fly with my 10' 6 wt. Had the GoPro and thought I was capturing the whole fight. Got home and downloaded .........nothing!😡😡😡

Somehow I must have shut the camera off. Very aggravating to say the least. This better be a short learning curve or it's going to be recording in some very deep water somewhere.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #31 on: Jun 26, 2020, 03:24 PM »
That's happened to me too. I have the older "silver" version and you don't  know how it went until you get home. My son's have the blacks, they are more sophisticated.   

Congrats on the corn fly catch. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #32 on: Jun 26, 2020, 04:56 PM »
Thanks Bart. I still don't know how I didn't that other than I was pretty keyed up for the catch. Mine is the Hero 3+ silver. Takes great videos...if the operator pays attention.

I'll be back at the mulberries on Monday. We're supposed to get some decent rains tomorrow so Sunday could be another good day for the creek. It's so gin clear right now you need to be invisible not to spook a feeding pod of big carp.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #33 on: Jun 28, 2020, 02:00 PM »
Headed for the creek with my 10' 6wt. this morning. The creek was up about 8" with all of last nights rain and riled up. Chummed a little corn in front of me and they came in on a mission. This one was about 24" and I'd guess 8 lbs or so.

I'm still learning how to edit these videos so my apologies for the amateur look.

&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #34 on: Jun 28, 2020, 02:21 PM »
Great one Bob.   And the video was just fine..
 Is that a rod you built?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #35 on: Jun 28, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Thanks Dom.
Yes it is. An IM 6 blank. A very sweet fly rod.

Wish I'd have remembered to turn on the camera for the second one. It hit, made a right turn and screamed upstream. Broke off 14.4 lb leader.

I'll be back at the mulberry drop tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get some more video.

Rg

oatkasut

« Reply #36 on: Jun 28, 2020, 09:21 PM »
Great job Bob, fighting the carp and filming it!I wouldn't trust myself getting a carp on a fly rod!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #37 on: Jun 29, 2020, 03:58 PM »
Oh...we can hook you up a safety harness if necessary.

I've been puttering around with a DIY carp Rod Pod for a couple weeks.

I made it from an easel I picked up at Goodwill for a couple bucks. Bought a set of bite alarms and started playing. It's super adjustable for height, length and alignment. I'm hoping to give it a test run tomorrow......after I get through tossing mulberry flies at the carp.

I've got my eye on a couple 12' rods and baitrunner reels.......soon!

Think I'm becoming obsessed with carp.

Rg

Rg

OneBucketMike

• OneBucketMike
« Reply #38 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:22 PM »

Think I'm becoming obsessed with carp.

Rg

Rg

I don't know about Carp but you are obsessed! Lol.
One Bucket Mike

big_guy_13021

« Reply #39 on: Jun 29, 2020, 10:46 PM »
Nice vid rg little guy got a decent carp also wasn't on a fly rod but he used my small ice jigging rod with 4lb test took him an hour and 5 minutes to land but he landed it

mcully

« Reply #40 on: Jun 30, 2020, 05:23 AM »
Berries are dropping in Syracuse. Just saw a big woodchuck hoovering a bunch up on a sidewalk as I drove in to office at 5am. Early riser.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #41 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:28 AM »
Managed to hook one this morning. Broke me off in the trees. Must have been 6 squirrels in the trees chowing  down the berries.

Might go back and test the new rod pod.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #42 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:00 PM »
Went back with the rod pod and caught these two slugs.

The first one was huge. Maybe my best ever. All of 32" and  very heavy. The second one took me into the weeds after almost tangling in the other line. I had all I could do to hold on to it while trying to reel in the other line.

The method feeders surely do work. The hair rigs hooked each fish in the lower lip when they took the bait.

Fun stuff!
Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:36 PM »
Nice ones Bob... :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #44 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:36 PM »
I'm heading out in the early morning equipped for both types of fishing. It'll save me a trip back later. Besides, gotta head to the driving range with my neighbor when I get home. He retired recently and wants to play golf. Should be interesting on all fronts.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.