FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...  (Read 340209 times)

Green_Drake

Re: SALMON RIVER 2015 SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD
« Reply #180 on: Aug 21, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Hey everybody, this is my first post but I've been reading here for the last year or so. I just wanted to ask all the centerpin fisherman out there what size rod and reel you were all using? Normally I take the fly rod but looking to try something new with my nephew this year.

J Miser

• Boy I miss home, AK, soon enuf
« Reply #181 on: Aug 21, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Hey guys,

Tell me, is there any truth to this.

Just got sent a message from a friend who states that there is a facebook post out there claiming that after last nights rain, there are eels swimming on the streets of Pulaski.  Said there has been a strong eel run this year. 

I know that Ontario used to have one hell of an eel fishery, I don't deny that, but it's been hurt like so many other fisheries.  Is it really so good that eels got flushed out of the salmon onto the street???

I'm a filthy Pocono eel fisherman, its what I do.  Actually headin out tonite to Stroudsburg to set up a few trot lines and speed up the end of eel season.  It's just been a frustrating year to say the least, so when you hear these sort of crazy statements, its just gets you frustrated and intrigued all at the same time. 

I'd pay for a picture and volunteer my time to clean up efforts.  But just knowing if its true or not would suffice over the interweb.  Thanx in advance guys, me and my pack are planning on coming up next weekend to keep up the tradition of August salmon with plan B being swim with the sheep in Oswego.  Enjoy guys, reading along with the rest.

Dr. JM
Why fight 10 guys for 1000 salmon when you can fight a bear for 100,000 salmon.  They call me crazy for fishin in 62 below zero - I think you have to be crazier to live in the Lower 48 and fight people for fish.  I'm coming home soon enough.  Alaska is Life!!!  All are welcome.

filetandrelease

« Reply #182 on: Aug 21, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Don't believe everything you read , I am just old enough to remember the eel boats

KingPerch

« Reply #183 on: Aug 21, 2015, 06:52 PM »
No eels that I heard of!
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

choo choo

« Reply #184 on: Aug 21, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Hey guys,

Tell me, is there any truth to this.

Just got sent a message from a friend who states that there is a facebook post out there claiming that after last nights rain, there are eels swimming on the streets of Pulaski.  Said there has been a strong eel run this year.  

I know that Ontario used to have one hell of an eel fishery, I don't deny that, but it's been hurt like so many other fisheries.  Is it really so good that eels got flushed out of the salmon onto the street???

I'm a filthy Pocono eel fisherman, its what I do.  Actually headin out tonite to Stroudsburg to set up a few trot lines and speed up the end of eel season.  It's just been a frustrating year to say the least, so when you hear these sort of crazy statements, its just gets you frustrated and intrigued all at the same time.  

I'd pay for a picture and volunteer my time to clean up efforts.  But just knowing if its true or not would suffice over the interweb.  Thanx in advance guys, me and my pack are planning on coming up next weekend to keep up the tradition of August salmon with plan B being swim with the sheep in Oswego.  Enjoy guys, reading along with the rest.

Dr. JM
I haven't heard fof any eels being caught on the Salmon river recently, but I have a friend who has a NYstate licensed eel rack (weir) and smokehouse on the east branch of the Delaware upriver of Hancock...I was there last week and they have started running pretty good.... last wed.40 and following day 60 fish(eels) ....should be running down your way in Stroudsburg soon too .....good luck and have fun.
I'm fishing my way through life .

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #185 on: Aug 21, 2015, 08:39 PM »
I haven't heard fof any eels being caught on the Salmon river recently, but I have a friend who has a NYstate licensed eel rack (weir) and smokehouse on the east branch of the Delaware upriver of Hancock...I was there last week and they have started running pretty good.... last wed.40 and following day 60 fish(eels) ....should be running down your way in Stroudsburg soon too .....good luck and have fun.
Choo Choo, is that the guy that's on TV that catches the eels and puts them in the smoker? It's gotta be! I think the show is called filthy riches. I enjoy watching that guy
Nice job findin em

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #186 on: Aug 21, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Hey everybody, this is my first post but I've been reading here for the last year or so. I just wanted to ask all the centerpin fisherman out there what size rod and reel you were all using? Normally I take the fly rod but looking to try something new with my nephew this year.
I run a 13' and a 13'6" rod and anywhere from 4" to 5" reels will get the job done nicely. I have a 13'6" custom built rainshadow rod and I run a kingpin imperial  (4 3/8" I believe) also a 13' St. Croix Avid with a Riverkeeper frogwater reel ( also pretty close to 4.5"). Hope that helps.
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

choo choo

« Reply #187 on: Aug 22, 2015, 05:16 AM »
Choo Choo, is that the guy that's on TV that catches the eels and puts them in the smoker? It's gotta be! I think the show is called filthy riches. I enjoy watching that guy
Yup, that's Ray. He's been catching eels for a long time....he's quite a character. They are going to do 5 more episodes this year...I don't get that channel, but will try to see it sometime....funny that he is on tv with those slimy eels.

UglyStik

« Reply #188 on: Aug 22, 2015, 08:08 AM »
Weren't/aren't the eels an invasive species that they are trying to wipe out? Lampreys, right? Used to see fish with big holes bitten out of their sides.

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #189 on: Aug 22, 2015, 09:15 AM »
The eels that are caught  in hancock are American eels (I believe) not lamprey eels. Although I have heard that people do eat lamprey eels.  :sick: :sick: :sick:
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

dimebrite

« Reply #190 on: Aug 24, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Filet gave good advice in saying don't believe everything you read :D. The water is low and no where's near the streets and no word of any eels... Haven't seen any myself

FL326

« Reply #191 on: Aug 24, 2015, 10:03 AM »
From a google search:

Differences between Sea lamprey and American eels o Sea lamprey are cartilaginous fish, eels are bony fish.

Sea lamprey have a disk-like mouth, eels have a hinged jaw.
    Sea lamprey have breathing holes, eels have gills and a gill cover.
    Sea lamprey have no pectoral (side) fins, eels have one pair.
    Sea lamprey have two fins on their backs, eels have one fin extending from the back around the tail to the stomach.

choo choo

« Reply #192 on: Aug 24, 2015, 12:47 PM »
American eels do not attach on and kill fish like the lampreys do.

American eels live in fresh water, then migrate Downstream to the ocean to spawn in saltwater.....lamprey eels migrate up freshwater streams to spawn in freshwater.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #193 on: Aug 24, 2015, 01:30 PM »
My grandma use to make the best Anguilla around..   She made it 3 different ways...   Baked, fried and cooked in gravy for a full day...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #194 on: Aug 24, 2015, 05:59 PM »
I used to trade a Ukranian lady eels for her home made Slivovitz. It was back in the early 80's. Man....what a deal. Had to be 100 proof.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.