FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...  (Read 340571 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: SALMON RIVER 2015 SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD
« Reply #210 on: Aug 31, 2015, 03:46 PM »
WOW..  Thats a pig for this early.  Isn't it?   

in a normal year it would be normal, but after the two back too back crazy ice coverage winters Ontario had , and lagging cold water in spring... its amazing really, 25 lber.  many others are thin though, there running in that 16-18lb range, heres another one from yesterday. a lot this size.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

filetandrelease

« Reply #211 on: Aug 31, 2015, 06:17 PM »

Well snag makes dragging much easier , as long as there are some fish to catch all is well

KingPerch

« Reply #212 on: Aug 31, 2015, 07:21 PM »
Got me thinking a trip to the river is in order! ;D
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

SNAGGER

« Reply #213 on: Aug 31, 2015, 08:33 PM »

Hit rt 3 on way back from doctors today, those fish that were in the port yesterday were missing today, dsr report said everyone hooked fish today, water goes up tonight, could be some action at ball park again tomorrow.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #214 on: Sep 01, 2015, 12:23 PM »

4th day and more salmon in the River, that pod we seen in the estuary 2 days ago is moving threw the River now , alot harder landing them today in higher flows, this pod has some healthy lookin fish 22 and 23lbs.... still cloudy and cool, wheres this heat everyone is talking about?  71 degrees at 1pm.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Mac Attack

« Reply #215 on: Sep 01, 2015, 01:39 PM »
Don't even tell me you are planning to eat that rotting meat Snagger.

Gotta be garden fertilizer and even then I would balk.

I can see saving the eggs for steelhead, etc. in the river over the Fall and Winter, but eating those things after they turn black and start heading up the rivers to spawn.

:sick:

Even in the spring in the colder waters I always had trouble eating them.
Grilled, baked, smoked, they all tasted way too oily when compared to fresh salmon bought at the market from the North Atlantic or Pacific NW.

Love salmon on the grill.
But the stuff I caught for 20 years out of Lake O never got me going.
And when I see guys filleting the spawners it brings back that gut wrenching smell they had every time.

Tell me aren't going to eat that............please!!!

Otherwise, nice fish and glad you're getting them.

Ravo_Himself

« Reply #216 on: Sep 01, 2015, 02:55 PM »

I can see saving the eggs for steelhead, etc. in the river over the Fall and Winter, but eating those things after they turn black and start heading up the rivers to spawn.

Grilled, baked, smoked, they all tasted way too oily when compared to fresh salmon bought at the market from the North Atlantic or Pacific NW.

And when I see guys filleting the spawners it brings back that gut wrenching smell they had every time.

Those are actually some of the nicest filets I've seen. Great color. I've never had an issue eating the salmon out of those rivers. Tastes great to me
Every fisherman is a liar. Except for me of course!

-Ryan-

fishinfred

« Reply #217 on: Sep 01, 2015, 03:03 PM »
Those are actually some of the nicest filets I've seen. Great color. I've never had an issue eating the salmon out of those rivers. Tastes great to me

Next time try bleeding the fish by cutting the gills.  They will taste much better and the fillets and eggs won't have blood in them.

Pequod1

« Reply #218 on: Sep 02, 2015, 03:57 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #219 on: Sep 02, 2015, 06:10 PM »
the  salmon you buy  if  wild  run  and  not farmed  are  caught in streams  turning black also .....I'm not a  big fan of  salmon  but  i'll eat it   smoke  it up  ;D

and those are   super clean  fish and   nice looking  fillets ...it hits me  as strange  as  sportsman   we  belittle any fishermans catch and  what  he  likes as table  fair  not to mention snagger makes apart of his living  cleaning  fish ......
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

dimebrite

« Reply #220 on: Sep 02, 2015, 06:27 PM »
This is the "I" "me" "mine" generation trap :D if someone does or likes differently from another's way its considered taboo!!!

Mac Attack

« Reply #221 on: Sep 02, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Settle down Trap.
Untie your shorts.
I know what Snagger does.
My son Jeff converses with him here and there.
I was simply bustin his jimmies.

But I did go back and reread my post and thought it sounded like you said it did.
Sorry for that.

I still think freshwater salmon tastes like crap compared to the stuff that spent its life in saltwater.
Even 1st or 2nd year stuff caught in the spring out in the lake.
Also never could stand the stink of spawning black rotting salmon.
Made me gag.
And I spent 9 years working on an ambulance where I saw and smelled things that didn't effect me as bad.

Carry on.

8)

Drifter_016

« Reply #222 on: Sep 02, 2015, 10:23 PM »

I still think freshwater salmon tastes like crap compared to the stuff that spent its life in saltwater.

Personally I think all salmon tastes like crap!!!
Even fresh out of the salt.
I've had fresh Alaskan salmon still twitchin' when filleted and still didn't like it.
I would much rather have Halibut and rock fish out of the salt and burbot and arctic lakers out of fresh water.  ;)

tomturkey

« Reply #223 on: Sep 03, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Attack
Have you ever looked at the packages of wild caught Alaskan Salmon. It is all processed by the Chinese. With the way things are going they are not going to have to tell us where any of our food was raised or processed.

dimebrite

« Reply #224 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Have to say, if the salmon are still lake bright in the river my pallet has no problem eating them. Desliming and bleeding is a staple for me though. Also prefer keeping the gutted fish on ice for at least 12 hours before taking the knife to it.  Wild Atlantic filets are almost unheard of in the grocery, and who knows if you're really getting wild pacific even when its marked "wild" in the grocery store.  Food is just like music, its subjective rather than objective... Either you like it or you don't   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.