FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...  (Read 339958 times)

Peacefrog

Re: SALMON RIVER 2015 SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD
« Reply #360 on: Sep 24, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Most guys just spool up with mono, seems to be the way to do it eh?

dimebrite

« Reply #361 on: Sep 24, 2015, 10:46 PM »
92-98 showed a lot of lakers with late 97 and (early winter) 98 being the most... Haven't touched one since but had days of lakers only all the way up to far stretches of Altmar. Started calling them fakers... Boot in the current explained their battle at best. But some were as large as mid teens!

filetandrelease

« Reply #362 on: Sep 25, 2015, 06:11 AM »
D-B fakers I like that they don't put up much of a struggle , they are much more fun through the ice

bigal409

« Reply #363 on: Sep 25, 2015, 06:53 AM »
Most guys just spool up with mono, seems to be the way to do it eh?
I'm new at this fly fishing myself. I thought the fly line is for the weight to carry out the hook. If it's only fed with mono, how does the hook cast? In the fly area we are only limited to 1/8th oz weight. If there isn't any fly line to help carry out the hook, how can mono help?

tree-on

« Reply #364 on: Sep 25, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Tree on , Didn't realize anyone accused anyone of snagging , I did report I did see a fly fishermen pulled  a salmon off due to being foul hooked was all which was better than fighting the fish to total exhaustion , that was only one of 2 fish I and KP saw hooked while we were spectating in 3 different spots on the river , the other was a med sized steelhead a guy hooked on a egg bag it was a screamer and a jumper , and broke the poor fellow off

I was being sarcastic. I actually like the tone on this site, no one accusing anyone else of fishing wrong. I use to visit the SC site a few years ago, could not stand it anymore, anytime anyone posted catching a fish they would be accused of snagging it, being the scum of the earth.

As far as the river goes, has the leaf hatch started yet?

Pliskin1

« Reply #365 on: Sep 25, 2015, 09:38 AM »
I'm new at this fly fishing myself. I thought the fly line is for the weight to carry out the hook. If it's only fed with mono, how does the hook cast? In the fly area we are only limited to 1/8th oz weight. If there isn't any fly line to help carry out the hook, how can mono help?

The mass, or weight, of the fly line is designed to propel your fly.

If you spool it up with mono only, then you either have to have a seriously weighted fly, or you'll have to attach split shot somewhere along your leader.

Yes, fly zone is limited to 1/8th oz.  If you have mono on, then you're not "fly fishing", and can't fish the fly zone anyway.

bigal409

« Reply #366 on: Sep 25, 2015, 10:08 AM »
The mass, or weight, of the fly line is designed to propel your fly.

If you spool it up with mono only, then you either have to have a seriously weighted fly, or you'll have to attach split shot somewhere along your leader.

Yes, fly zone is limited to 1/8th oz.  If you have mono on, then you're not "fly fishing", and can't fish the fly zone anyway.

That's what I thought. Think I'll just leave my fly line on. Then I can use the fly rod anywhere in the river that I want. Thanks

fishgalore

« Reply #367 on: Sep 25, 2015, 04:14 PM »

You can use sink tips as opposed to split shot to get the line down deeper in the water column. Also, mending the line can help you in that regard as well but is somewhat dependent upon lower/slower water flows. Do some Google research or talk to your local fly shop about how to use sink tips and other methods to get down in the water column with certain types of presentations.

Welcome from SC land Pliskin!

filetandrelease

« Reply #368 on: Sep 25, 2015, 05:06 PM »

Your right tree-on catching fish does some times draw some conflict

dimebrite

« Reply #369 on: Sep 25, 2015, 05:54 PM »
D-B fakers I like that they don't put up much of a struggle , they are much more fun through the ice

I'd love to catch one through ice one day. Know a guy who targets them on George... Also seen the blast you guys had this past winter... Looks like a lot if fun. Maybe one of these days. Back in their hayday of running the river, we used to pick up and leave if we were hooking up with them. Sometimes had stupid numbers of hookups on them. Like ten in an hour all the way til early January at times and as far up as rt. 52

Mac Attack

« Reply #370 on: Sep 25, 2015, 11:22 PM »
steelhead are a lot better thru the ice.

Here is Jeff with one I caught in Wilson about 10 years ago.

It was fun.

Mac Attack

« Reply #371 on: Sep 25, 2015, 11:22 PM »
It was also cold.

:D

filetandrelease

« Reply #372 on: Sep 26, 2015, 06:55 AM »
So Mac do the boys target them (steelhead)and how often are they caught ? We have also caught steelhead through the ice but didn't target them,nice trout Mac ,  dimebrite you should take the time and give lakers a try

dimebrite

« Reply #373 on: Sep 26, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Steel through ice have to be nuts. Heard of flukes being caught in the pond, did know a guy who said he targeted browns and steel through ice in early season over in fair haven...

Time??? That's the problem filet not enough of it :(  I'm banking on giving it a shot this year though

dimebrite

« Reply #374 on: Sep 26, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Might of been new haven... Can't remember

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.