FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...  (Read 340269 times)

Drifter_016

Re: SALMON RIVER 2015-2016 SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD
« Reply #645 on: Mar 21, 2016, 01:59 PM »
to be honest I lean toward freds side  ....for what ever reason the amount of fish  sure appears  lower to me and the  fish  generally are smaller  ......in the 90's  15 pound fish were common , I think the only reason  fisherman may be spoiled  has nothing to do with steelhead populations  its  the newer tactics of fishing for them......  the average fisherman today  is  a lot better equipped  then 20 years ago.... hell we had  to  tie our own rods  just to get a noodle rod and most of them were fly rod blanks  tied with  spinning  seats .....no one had any idea about pinning or beads .....even eggs were not cured as well ...I remember  first time estaz was used  for  flies on salmon river  ......  I agree with you fred ,it's my opinion the  numbers just aren't there ....

Your timing might be off Trapper or maybe The States was lagging behind Canada back in the day. ;)
We started pinning back in the early 80's in Ontario with it really taking off in the mid 80's. It was then that we were using custom noodle type rods as well.
In the late 70's we were using the old flyrods with either a Martin fly reel loaded with mono or a spinning reel.   ;D

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #646 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:01 PM »
why was the  run so good  in Oswego  they  drop the  fish in the  lake  there .... 

I heard it was ok at best, they do pen rear there as well.  ask the charters like buffa and burke or allen how lake was in front of oz, ok at best.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #647 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:04 PM »

ask any charter from buffalo too Rochester too oz too watertown last year was worst season since 1979.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #648 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:09 PM »
oh so the  old farts  with  flyrods  I control?  shane   excuse me  for asking this  but have  you  ever  heard the  term "delusions of grandeur"

neither of  us  control or  own anything here we are  guest ...and  I'm not being mean snag  you jumped on me  because  I have  a  opinion that the  salmon and  steelhead    run every trib and stream in lake  Ontario ......my opinion isn't going to  change ....and  come  sept  the  prove  will be  running   the water ways  again
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SNAGGER

« Reply #649 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:10 PM »
oh so the  old farts  with  flyrods  I control?  shane   excuse me  for asking this  but have  you  ever  heard the  term "delusions of grandeur"

neither of  us  control or  own anything here we are  guest ...and  I'm not being mean snag  you jumped on me  because  I have  a  opinion that the  salmon and  steelhead    run every trib and stream in lake  Ontario ......my opinion isn't going to  change ....and  come  sept  the  prove  will be  running   the water ways  again

why would I contribute too a page that's in the toilet , I won't.  unlike you trap, I can admit when I'm wrong, I forgot, I can't control whats said on this thread, I thought you could delete it, but I just tried and you can't... good bye.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

trapper2000

« Reply #650 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:11 PM »
i just called  allen  buffa  and  the  fleet they said  come  sept  those  fish  run  every  trib on lake  Ontario  

SNAGGER

« Reply #651 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:11 PM »

read back trap, argue was never about you bud.  I'm done, have fun boys.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

trapper2000

« Reply #652 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:15 PM »

so fish have never flowed over a dam before in high waters?  I don't care about rice creek anyways.

so  250  brown trout stocked  in granby  swim 10 miles  down stream to  jump a 10 foot water  fall and  dam  to  get to lake  Ontario  so  me and  HT  can  catch  steelhead  after  steelhead ?????  I guess the  brown trout showed them the  way?????

and  of course you don't care  proves  you are mistaken

trapper2000

« Reply #653 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Your timing might be off Trapper or maybe The States was lagging behind Canada back in the day. ;)
We started pinning back in the early 80's in Ontario with it really taking off in the mid 80's. It was then that we were using custom noodle type rods as well.
In the late 70's we were using the old flyrods with either a Martin fly reel loaded with mono or a spinning reel.   ;D

and  moochin rods  lol

coachwarner

« Reply #654 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:26 PM »

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #655 on: Mar 21, 2016, 03:12 PM »
the fish run up random creeks (no one is arguing that) , but can get physically imprinted on where they are physically stocked, seperately from where they were raised...

here's some facts
http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/publications/scipubs/techmemos/tm30/quinn.html

DEC does stock fish above barriers they intend the fish to go back down through

not sure why you need to have the last word trap, everyone already knows your full of hot air...

trapper2000

« Reply #656 on: Mar 21, 2016, 03:23 PM »
first big red  this didn't involve  you  second  from the  start  the  entire  discussion  was  about  fish running places they "were not stocked"  snagger used  the  250 browns  stocked  in rice  creek as a smoke screen to change  the  direction of the  discussing  ...250 6 inch  brown trout   above a  dam in granby  do not  change  the  fact  I been  fishing these  things since  day one and the fact remains  these  fish  run in LARGE numbers  up streams that were  never stocked they  run  ever water that flows  into lake  Ontario .....and they do so in great numbers  ....this  isn't about me  every  fisherman that lives in this area  knows this !!!!  shane  knows  what Im saying is  true that's  why he  sents  his guest to those places  like  the  sandys  and  doesn't post it .....

it's  simple  fact now  bigred I'm done  fighting about this ...you talk what ever  you wish

fishinfred

« Reply #657 on: Mar 21, 2016, 03:38 PM »
I hesitate to post this after my last post, but I fish Oswego and the Tribs more than I fish the Salmon and they didn't rock, they were worst for me than the Salmon.  Kevin as always got his share from his boat in Oswego, other than that it was a poor year...

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #658 on: Mar 21, 2016, 03:58 PM »
I wasn't invited, simply sharing facts on a public forum.   We are so lucky to have a resource like Shane on this website,  more people have become better fisherman because of him than the rest of us combined.  Not a lot of fisherman make the observations and take the kinds of notes Shane does..and then freely shares this info with us, and comes off without any attitude or sounding like a curmudgeon...

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #659 on: Mar 21, 2016, 04:02 PM »
mine is bigger than yours............thats great guys lets alienate more people that bring info to the site and make sure it really sucks ::)

waiting for it 2 be locked?

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.