FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...  (Read 340024 times)

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
Re: SALMON RIVER 2015-2016 SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD
« Reply #705 on: Mar 22, 2016, 07:16 PM »

I haven't had a cigarette since july 28th myself, still chewing Nicorette gum and a e cig once in a while, hard habit too break.

Way to go!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #706 on: Mar 22, 2016, 08:16 PM »

I remember when you quit trap, you told me that day we were coho fishin, I've got something wrong with my eyes, had MRI's done on my brain and neck looking for clots or an anurism, had every eye test done known too man, checked for detached retina macular degeneration, everything... its some sort of blood problem I see bursting vessles in my vision and floaters, can't be out in strong sun at all... its been slowly getting worse for 3-4 yrs, so I quit smoking, my blood pressure went up too at first, now its down, Ice seasons over , so back too getting tests done too see whats wrong.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #707 on: Mar 22, 2016, 08:22 PM »

Got a hot tip from KC tonight so I snuck out last hour or so, ended up getting 4 nice steelhead on beads and floats, but everyone came un buttoned. fun evening, kind of evening you live for.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #708 on: Mar 22, 2016, 10:57 PM »

Got a hot tip from KC tonight so I snuck out last hour or so, ended up getting 4 nice steelhead on beads and floats, but everyone came un buttoned. fun evening, kind of evening you live for.
BINGO!!  :w00t:  😜
Nice job findin em

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #709 on: Mar 23, 2016, 03:55 AM »
first 2 weeks I quit I felt good then I started feeling congestion in my chest and not being able to breath out .....now this  has gotten better  but now I have to carry a inhaler  and I have to use my head a little bit (which we all hate to do)  my BP like I said  went up  mine  has  to be  controlled with medication .....but I still feel better  not  smoking ,if you smoke ,and yes I believe it's a free country but don't be a knucklehead ...quit   if you got children  your not just hurting you you are hurting them ...they learn from you ....quit ! if you love to fish  and hunt or trap like I do ....nothing  is worse then having to slow  down to  catch my breath and  missing  doing what I love ...quit .....

I been sneaking  to one on my little tribs ...fish are there  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #710 on: Mar 23, 2016, 05:10 AM »
COPD - Chronic Obstructive Posting Disease

not joking about copd.........this is the post i was referenceing.........trapp......and maybe you know this guy but with 3 posts I guessed not?

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

trapper2000

« Reply #711 on: Mar 23, 2016, 05:22 AM »

not joking about copd.........this is the post i was referenceing.........trapp......and maybe you know this guy but with 3 posts I guessed not?

I have no idea  who he is but I think like bad pennys some  people return also....  the good news I'm finishing this coffee  then going fishing  ;D........I got a few wolly buggers I just did up now if I can't find a steelie that wants one real quick I bet I can a crappie

trapper2000

« Reply #712 on: Mar 23, 2016, 10:21 AM »
oh now stop that  you'll hurt my internet feelings    :rotflol:  someone else called me a troll  and I don't even know what that means .......on the past calling names was so much more original and colorful  ;D

no steel for me today but I hit a few spots  for crappies  and  I scored nothing be after perch after lunch

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #713 on: Mar 23, 2016, 10:24 AM »
oh now stop that  you'll hurt my internet feelings    :rotflol:  someone else called me a troll  and I don't even know what that means .......on the past calling names was so much more original and colorful  ;D

no steel for me today but I hit a few spots  for crappies  and  I scored nothing be after perch after lunch

Wow....you are lucky I only have 1 feeling  ;D ;D :-*

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

trapper2000

« Reply #714 on: Mar 23, 2016, 10:29 AM »
Wow....you are lucky I only have 1 feeling  ;D ;D :-*

lolllllll wise guy

Drifter_016

« Reply #715 on: Mar 23, 2016, 12:01 PM »
  although I don't know what fish in sage creek have too do with the hatchery

OK, take this for what it's worth. I don't know Sage Creek, or if it has been stocked but I do know that stocked fish will sometimes stray and end up in another river from where they were originally stocked. Probably the best example of this is The Grand River in Ontario. It runs into Lake Erie and has never been stocked with steelhead. Over the years strays from the US side have run up the river and now there is a very nice run of steelhead there due to these strays and now natural reproduction.

No matter how the smolts are imprinted on their stocked stream a small percentage will stray and end up in other rivers and creeks. If lucky a self sustaining and viable fishery can be created by these strays. The same goes with the sammins as there are plenty of US fish caught on the Canadian side of the GL's. ;)

trapper2000

« Reply #716 on: Mar 23, 2016, 12:44 PM »
drifter in return we have caught many fish with Canadian fin clips in the past but and this is "MY OPINION" I still think natural reproduction of the "salmon" is  over rated ...reason I say this is two reasons first  ....1967 was not the first attempt to stock Chinooks in lake Ontario in the 50's a attempt was made to stock salmon  and lake trout due to the lamprey  population this  didn't work well and no natural spawning occurred in 1968 cohos were introduced then Chinooks in 1969 ...I caught my first stream caught  salmon in little salmon river oct 1971 with a bullhead rod and  tribal hook  it was in littlesalmon fiver off ladd road  below what is now jelly stone park I got 2 that day with my brothers and dad ...what made this day special wasn't my first salmon  but it was the last time we all fished together ( sorry personal history) ....later in the 70's we had the great mercury and mirex in salmon scare , those of you that don't recall  stocking was cut to nothing  and fisherman were actually given 3 metal tags to tag trophy fish the state warned eat none! this ban didn't work and was lifted soon after however the damage was done few years later with such low stockings the returns were the worse  I ever recall  remember in those days we  drove the holes and force fish out to waiting snaggers ....you were lucky to see a couple fish a day .............. now no on has to agree with anything I say and most don't  my opinions are formed from what I seen of 49 years of this fishery most of the biologist  that make statements where not even alive when the stocking stopped then ...... since we have had directors  that  wanted to take that  natural reproduction route  in the  end it always goes back to lake Ontario salmon and trout are a put and take fishery .............I personally don't find  put and take as dirty words ...... I like it as matter of fact

NY_slay_team

« Reply #717 on: Mar 23, 2016, 01:18 PM »
If the Salmon River was patrolled during Steelhead season (Like It Should Be) DEC would run out of ticket books. I throw up every time I watch some stooge perform his blind hookset 500 times with 6 feet of 1x fluro tipit using a size 32 nympth, lol
I promised I would see here when the ice went off - Now what?

trapper2000

« Reply #718 on: Mar 23, 2016, 05:09 PM »
seeing there are only 6 dec officers in Oswego county and 3 in Jefferson county ,I think they do a pretty good job .....

SNAGGER

« Reply #719 on: Mar 24, 2016, 08:21 PM »

few pics from last couple days.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.