FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...  (Read 339720 times)

fishinfred

Re: SALMON RIVER 2015-2016 SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD
« Reply #720 on: Mar 24, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Looks like a great day, congratulations!

Mrp2000

« Reply #721 on: Mar 24, 2016, 09:02 PM »
Nice fish.

jeffmac85

« Reply #722 on: Mar 25, 2016, 12:24 AM »
If natural reproduction of salmonid species doesn't occur in great lakes tribs, how would one account for the small number of coho salmon and the occasional king even (I can personally attest to a few Kings being caught in Buffalo Creek within the last 3-5 years) in Erie tribs when, as far as I know there hasn't been any salmon stocking in Erie in years, at least stateside.  How do these fish show up then year after year if there truly was 0 natural reproduction?  I'm not trying to say that there is enough to sustain the sport fishery at all, but there is a very small percentage of natural reproduction occurring.  So, of the fish that are stocked, Shane is correct, a very large portion return to the Salmon River and the hatchery where they were raised from, however not every single last stocked fish is going to make it back there, its just not possible, so some do take the easy route and enter smaller streams and creeks, like trapper is saying.  Erie is another great example of this, Ohio and PA both stopped their salmon stocking programs because a large portion of tagged salmon were being caught in NY streams so why should OH and PA supply NY waters with fish and they stopped.  So, this small portion of stocked fish plus the very small percentage of natural reproduction that is occurring (especially on small streams that don't get the pressure and it allows the fish to spawn in peace) is what keeps these small, technically unstocked Ontario streams, with runs of fish each year.  Gotta remember the size of the runs are relative to the size of the stream/river.  500 fish in a tiny little stream that is never fished by anyone but you trap may seem like a good amount of fish every year but put that same 500 fish run in the Salmon River and it looks dismal.  The point I'm trying to get at is both parties are somewhat right, yes not every single solitary salmonid returns to its natal waters, but its a proven scientific fact that most (something like 90-95%) make it back to their place of origin.   And as for the fish that are dumped off the barge, correct me if I'm wrong but are those not usually the fish that were from the pens, which are held in harbors (we have a couple in Olcott) and then dragged out to the lake once they have imprinted in order to add to runs in those waterways?  So although yes they are dumped into the middle of the lake they have been artificially imprinted through pen rearing by the DEC and then in fact would not spawn and die out in the middle of the lake but in the waterway that the pens were held in.  Again, I could be wrong on that fact, I'm not sure but that was my impression.  As for attacking Snag for posting false or misleading info to advertise his livelihood I find that to be completely false.  His info is usually spot on and based on his or his clients outcomes on the river.  Honestly, if anyone on here has a vested interest in keeping info a little more hush hush its Shane and the few other people that run businesses along the river.  By Shane putting up info on this vast thing called the internet he's basically advertising to the whole world you can come to the river and catch fish, but he stands the risk of creating a heard of people up and down the river, killing the fishing for his paying clients.  If his posts which in my opinion help the vast majority of us more than it hurts in turn helps him generate another client or 2 then more power to him it's a small return for as much as he contributes to this thread, I'm sorry if you don't see it the same but you don't really need this fishery to put a paycheck in your pocket and food on your table.  I sent a pm to my father back in the beginning of salmon season because he gave Shane a bit of grief about how many pictures of dirty old salmon he puts up, a lot of which aren't even his, they are just nice fish that come through his station a lot of times.  A little kidding between friends on the board is one thing but its a totally different thing to attack a man's livelihood, that's not right.  Rant over

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #723 on: Mar 25, 2016, 04:23 AM »
jeffman  again we are talking opinions!  I want you to keep that in mind ok ............. you have yours I have mine..... first read back a few of my post. I state I have caught salmon in creeks all the way up to phoenix ny ....in order to get there they travel threw  6 sets of locks ......last I knew the niagra  had locks! doesn't lake Huron flow into Erie?????  didn't the goby  rudd  and zebra mussel spread threw this same system ????  I don't believe natural reproduction could ever substain a population of pacific salmon in the great lakes ,neither does the state.....

I have posted pictures of barge stocking  some were pen fish I think but what I witnessed was stocking trucks on the barge  going out....it's interesting to watch....

again why doesn't 90 to 95 % of the pen raised fish return to the pen nursery and drop their eggs????.....

I just think different then you guys ...I don't believe in big foot , nor the loc ness monster ,nor alantis ,and I sure don't believe that salmon can naturally reproduce  in any numbers in the great lakes ......  I don't believe they always return to the same creeks  with a 6 since and built in GPS ....and I believe there was only one shooter in the JFK shooting ..... sorry

here is the best part Jeff you can have a totally different opinion then mine and it won't affect how many fish we catch today ...... fish on my friend  

and Jeff as far as Shane and myself we are friends we will fish again and Shane  can defend himself without your help .....disagreement  been over for days why are you getting involved ...go fishing have fun life is short .... Snagger  and I are  going too.........now enough said lets all behave and not get this tread in trouble ....nice fish guys
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #724 on: Mar 25, 2016, 05:20 AM »
as rg would say........oye  ::)

we are talking about half dead mud sharks and and a bunch of put and take trout that people floss all day long

can we please just let it go so we can continue to see the cool pics of the salmon river etc.

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

Mac Attack

« Reply #725 on: Mar 25, 2016, 05:28 AM »
shaddap and go fishing.

There.  That's my opinion.

;D

Browns Sunday Jeff.   But where do they spawn?  Who cares.  They look pretty and fight really well.
Maybe I'll even take a video of you catching one on my new GoPro.

Now, I'm going back to bed seeing that my coughing fit is almost over.  Gnight.   :sleep1:

coachwarner

« Reply #726 on: Mar 25, 2016, 09:13 AM »

few pics from last couple days.

Nice fish! :clapping: Were those caught in Sage creek?  :w00t: ;D

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

filetandrelease

« Reply #727 on: Mar 25, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Nice fish! :clapping: Were those caught in Sage creek?  :w00t: ;D
I'm thinking it might be little alder  :o

perchgypsy

« Reply #728 on: Mar 25, 2016, 09:36 AM »
Coach and filet...or bigspoon and littlespoon😂😂😂
nice fish pics I have grown up middle of oneida and Salmon river and never once attempted to catch a steelhead...after seeing these pics
guess it's time to catch one or five...just hate crowds main reason I've stayed away
just out of high school I did land surveying and did some work along the river and watched the crowds and said not for me...but I'm thinking
one time landing one of these steelhead be on a bucket list

filetandrelease

« Reply #729 on: Mar 25, 2016, 09:52 AM »

PG lots of other places to fish , the salmon and Oswego aren't the only places to try but there are miles of the salmon river to fish and with a little walking you can fish some unoccupied water

filetandrelease

« Reply #730 on: Mar 25, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Perch gypsy PM sent

kc

« Reply #731 on: Mar 25, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Coach and filet...or bigspoon and littlespoon😂😂😂
nice fish pics I have grown up middle of oneida and Salmon river and never once attempted to catch a steelhead...after seeing these pics
guess it's time to catch one or five...just hate crowds main reason I've stayed away
just out of high school I did land surveying and did some work along the river and watched the crowds and said not for me...but I'm thinking
one time landing one of these steelhead be on a bucket list

We fish the SR  Tuesday. Went 7 for 7 and Had 1 person fish within a hundred yds of us all day

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #732 on: Mar 25, 2016, 12:46 PM »
river isn't crowded right  now at all , you should go  and have  fun  and  couch sage  creek is  full of  fish   you  just have  to know people to  fish it 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

choo choo

« Reply #733 on: Mar 25, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Nice fish everyone. Weekdays are a better time to fish the SR, or anyplace for sure.... but today was pretty busy in spots because it is a long week-end.
Got 3 Steelhead this morning on what seemed like a tough bite. The first boat that came down and asked how I was doing, I told him I just nailed one. They immediately dropped their anchor and started fishin my water for 15 minutes before moving on. Another boat saw me fighting a fish and anchored within 2 rod lengths of me and started fishing my water also. I am not saying everyone is like that, but I found a few "bad apples" today.  I could have walked up or downriver and had plenty of elbow room, but It is still a little tough wading with the ice cold water. and I was In that spot first. 
Beads took the bites on floats....left a little early cause my feet were frozen ! Here is one pic from this morning

Here is a pic I took recently of a steelhead some "sportsman" hauled up to the parking area , but did not want to put it in his fancy SUV I guess. It was left for the buzzards to eat.

I'm fishing my way through life .

kc

« Reply #734 on: Mar 25, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Thanks Choo Choo, I was wondering where I left him.  :D :D  Nice job BTW

Years ago I was up with a buddy and when we got back to the parking lot, there was a steely in the snowbank. My buddy looked him over and threw him in the back of the truck. Didn't want to waste him.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.