FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing Show  (Read 3927 times)

Mac Attack

Fishing Show
« on: Jan 18, 2020, 08:46 PM »
Jeff and I went early this morning.
Attended a class on Smart Troll.
A device that mounts to your line with telemetry that shows you temp, depth, and also speed.
You can run up to 6 of them.
Kinda cool but big bucks.
Still really neat stuff

The show was good.
A stand had Bayrats for $5 each!!!
I bought a set of Amish Outfitters large planer boards.  Bought the entire kit with line, snubbers, and the giant flags.
I’m having a large rocket launcher built and will mount my planer board reels on it.
Big plans for the new boat.
Also bought a 7’ Daiwa fiberglass downrigger rod for only $15.  Guy only had the one.  Found a second one on line for $19 when I got home.
We want to go to glass rods because they bend more parabolic.  This allows you to really preload the rod way down.  Graphite rods simply have too stiff of a backbone.  The actions are just too fast.  A fly rod would actually give us what we want.
Jeff was going to build them but these were less than $20 each.  Building one woulda been $100+.
Jeff also bought some really spicy pickles.  Actually, I bought them for him.  He bought my entry ticket.
Good time and a pretty good show.
Saw a few buddies there too.
I wanted to do a few more classes but still had fun.

gotagetm

Re: Fishing Show
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:11 AM »
cool mac
i went for a bit friday but couldnt stay long gonna maybe go back today
theres a guy selling okuma reels, im looking for the cold water ones there a step up from my magna pros
i have to have left hand retrieve guy in his booth said the owner was teaching a class maybe i can catch up to him today

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2020, 11:07 AM »
cool mac
i went for a bit friday but couldnt stay long gonna maybe go back today
theres a guy selling okuma reels, im looking for the cold water ones there a step up from my magna pros
i have to have left hand retrieve guy in his booth said the owner was teaching a class maybe i can catch up to him today

Yup, go in doors and turn left.
Guy on left hand side there has the cold water Okuma's.
Sweet reels.

Thought about going back there today but decided to stay home and start wrapping the last 3 rods I have started.
Also watch a little football.

Stayed up till almost 2am last night laying out the design for my rocket launcher system I am going to build for the new boat.
Trying to stay busy in this crap weather time.

Have fun there today.

I like that show.
Only fishing.
No other BS to wade through.

gotagetm

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2020, 06:04 PM »
didnt make it back to show
but mac did you get plastic big boards or wood
when  bought my boat years ago it came with two scotty power planer board reels have not mounted them yet ,been in barn but didnt realize how much they cost,wow!!!! gonna get them mounted this year ,got buddies that are machiensts and welders and building me masts and rod holders ,bent tube and mounting plates so definetly gonna run big boards this year ,but have been told composite boards run much better than wood ,just what ive been told

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:03 PM »
didnt make it back to show
but mac did you get plastic big boards or wood
when  bought my boat years ago it came with two scotty power planer board reels have not mounted them yet ,been in barn but didnt realize how much they cost,wow!!!! gonna get them mounted this year ,got buddies that are machiensts and welders and building me masts and rod holders ,bent tube and mounting plates so definetly gonna run big boards this year ,but have been told composite boards run much better than wood ,just what ive been told

Composite.
Frank, the owner of Amish Outfitters, said he gave up with wood because he couldn’t get it reliably.  He also said the composite boards pull harder and also resist flipping compared to wood.  This is because they ride lower in the water.  Don’t have as much buoyancy as wood.
Not a bad thing overall.

Yea, running large boards is NOT cheap!!!
The board kit and some releases, etc. ran me $262.
The Cisco reel and pulley kits I’m buying from them are $603.
I can get cheaper reels but Frank cautioned me because of how hard his boards pull.
I have 2 single Cannon masts with reels and pulleys I was going to use.  I’m going to sell them to offset the cost of the Cisco stuff.
And the aluminum tubing and plate materials for my mortar launcher assy to run all this will run about $400 with the shipping.
A buddy of Jeff’s will handle the fabrication based on my design and drawings.  Jeff said he owes Jeff so he’ll probably do it for a case of beer.  We’ll see.
But I ran large boards years back on my big boats during the \80’s and 90’s.
I like them far better than inlines.
I’ll be selling my inlines too.

Yup
Good show.

wallyworld

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:28 AM »
Also went to the show, had a good time, learned some new "tricks of the trade" as always  :clapping:  to top it all off got this email yesterday
   :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:31 AM »
Congratulations WW. Thats sweet..
 Which one are you going to choose??
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

wallyworld

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:47 AM »
Definitely salmon  :thumbup_smilie: :flex: :clapping:

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2020, 03:45 PM »
sweet

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2020, 04:05 PM »

That’s super , congrats

wallyworld

« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:29 AM »
Thanks we’re excited!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Nice. I haven't won anything since an NWTF dinner 20 years ago. I won a really nice print of geese on nest. Still have it.

Enjoy your fishing trip.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wallyworld

« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2020, 06:54 AM »
Thanks, I can't wait  :thumbup_smilie:

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2020, 08:34 AM »
Another one coming up guys -

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2020, 02:59 AM »
Another one coming up guys -

I'm always puzzled when I see posters of events and they don't say where it's being held?  :cookoo:
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.