FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Casting Videos  (Read 966 times)

icefisher45

Casting Videos
« on: Mar 16, 2010, 05:49 AM »
Any recomendations on casting videos. I keep getting tangles and its getting very frustrating.
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work, Take a kid fishing

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: Casting Videos
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2010, 07:12 AM »
practice is more important then videos. When I picked up my first bait caster I had a hell of time with it blowing up on me. A buddy recommended setting up a casting course, a few objects like mugs, or pots at different lengths, and I would spend an hour whenever i could pitching and casting into the objects.

remember to adjust your reel to match your lures weight, i think that was always my biggest mistake. I would tie on a new jig and crank and fire it out with out adjusting and bang im tangled up for the next 15 minutes.

to answer your question, no sorry I dont know of any good casting videos, but it you go to youtube and type in "baitcaster" i got a bunch of training videos pop up

Got2FishToo

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2010, 10:16 AM »
practice is more important then videos. When I picked up my first bait caster I had a hell of time with it blowing up on me. A buddy recommended setting up a casting course, a few objects like mugs, or pots at different lengths, and I would spend an hour whenever i could pitching and casting into the objects.

remember to adjust your reel to match your lures weight, i think that was always my biggest mistake. I would tie on a new jig and crank and fire it out with out adjusting and bang im tangled up for the next 15 minutes.

to answer your question, no sorry I dont know of any good casting videos, but it you go to youtube and type in "baitcaster" i got a bunch of training videos pop up

Same answer as Bassjunky: practice, practice, practice. go out in your yard. I remember doing just that years ago. neighbors would look at me a little strange as I would be out there with all my rods, flipping, pithin, castin, fly castin, great way to enjoy a warm day when you can't hit the water yet.  I like to to this around bushes also that way I can get the cast right with out the threst of losing tackle, if you get into the bushes you can walk over and pluck it out. Just remember to take the hooks off.  I also would try to set up a pallet on blocks to simulate a dock, and try to land it right under the front of the pallet. I always have the kids get out there too, so when it is time to hit the water they have the confidence to make the casts. Just like any sport we need to practice also.

Got2FishToo

slipperybob

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2010, 01:06 PM »
It also depends on equipment too.  I know I get far fewer bird's nest on my most expensive combo compared to my cheapest combo.  I will say that learning to become tangle free or tangle-less on the cheaper combo's also makes you a better caster on the more expensive combo's.  I like to practice over winter time in the snow as well or on the frozen lakes when the bites are slow.

Using thicker and more stiff lines helps to reduce tangles for practice.  14# mono isn't to bad for practicing.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.