FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kokanee Salmon  (Read 10721 times)

raleigh

Kokanee Salmon
« on: Mar 12, 2004, 10:55 PM »
Are Kokanee salmon as hard to catch in the summer as they are in the winter ? What methods & baits do you use to Catch them in the summer? Any info would be a great help. Thanks !!!

TroutFishingBear

Re: Kokanee Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:10 PM »
Raleigh, in the lakes around here, especially blue mesa, they are nearly impossible to find. Although I have never tried, that is what I here.
Abandon this idea, sorry :'(

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:17 PM »
They Clobber a wobbler and worm rig in up-state ny..
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

PERCH INC.

• Monster Perch Rulz!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2004, 05:30 PM »
I use a lake clear wobbler and a small gold hook. A 10ft. noodle rod with 4lb. line, run the wobbler 70ft. behind the boat. The speed of the boat is VERY importent!! Good Luck   8)
Pass it on !! "Hunting and Fishing"

PERCH INC.

• Monster Perch Rulz!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 12:36 PM »
Got only one out of Glass Lake througth the ice. Thay are hard to get under the ice. Do better going out now!!!   Maybe next week I might try to get out on Glass. Trying to catch some strippers this week, no luck yet!! :-[
Pass it on !! "Hunting and Fishing"

oldken

• oldken
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 07:07 AM »
i fished kokenee salmon for anumber of years. n.y. doesen'tsock them now that i know of. i have caught them trollinga lake clear but have had much better luck jigging for them with a swedish pimple and #6 eagle claw hook baited with a garden worm. night crawlers are to large. be ready to pull on any thing that even looks like a bite. don't try to use a net. also a little chumming with corn or oatmeal helps. old ken

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Kokanee have very soft mouths. Thats why kokanee trolls have a rubber snubber. I use "Gibbs Kokanee troll"
with good results. It has a nice red attractant snubber. I don't set the hook on them, just slight pull. They set the hook themselves. Much easier to catch in summer and find of course as they school up.

OUTHNTN

• "CRANK IT, YANK IT & SLAP IT ON THE GRILLE!"
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2010, 07:59 PM »
I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD POST, BUT THOUGHT I'D SHARE MY 2 CENTS.  HERE IN MT, AT A SMALL LAKE CALLED DEADMAN'S RES., THE KOKANEE ARE STOCKED EVERY YEAR.  SNAGGING THEM IN THE FALL WORKS GREAT AS THE SPAWNERS COME BACK TO THE PLANTING SITE, BUT THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER THEY CAN BE CAUGHT ON SMALL RAINBOW TROUT COLORED RAPALAS AND MEPPS SPINNERS TROLLED FAR BEHIND THE BOAT.  SPEED IS SOMEWHAT CRITICAL AT TIMES, BUT WE'VE CAUGHT THEM AT SPEEDS FROM 1.5 MPH TO 3.5 MPH.  SIDE PLANERS WORK EVEN BETTER AS IT GETS THE LURES AWAY FROM THE WAKE AND SHADOW OF THE BOAT.  SMALLER COWBELLS ALSO WORK WITH A BRASS MEPPS SPINNER BEHIND IT TIPPED WITH WHITE CORN.  AND AS FOR SETTING THE HOOK, AS TGF SAID, LET THE FISH HOOK THEMSELVES OR YOU'LL PULL THE HOOKS FROM THEIR MOUTHS.   JUST A FEW TIPS THAT WORK HERE! - OH

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.