FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!  (Read 288211 times)

filetandrelease

Re: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!
« Reply #1575 on: May 09, 2020, 06:26 AM »

Nice score

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #1576 on: May 09, 2020, 12:13 PM »
That puts a whole new twist on "Hair Jigs" gotta love youthful enthusiasm for fishing

I took the little guy out again friday he got a nice pile in a hour and a half .here's the funny part..his mom cut his hair he saved a bunch got creative and tied a few tiny jigs with it...his results were pretty good ..and he says thank you.he is very good with fly rod..8 foot 3wt.he knows how to work the fly or micro jig just rite for crappies
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1577 on: May 10, 2020, 10:01 AM »
Got some panfish this morning. A couple real nice perch in there with a bonus bullhead.

Fun stuff!
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seamonkey84

« Reply #1578 on: May 10, 2020, 01:34 PM »
Gotta love the materials you salvage and tie your own with! My chinchilla use to give me a lot of nice dubbing material. I have a bag of squirrel tails I’ve saved from hunting, and a few feathers from my pet birds have also made it on a hook or two lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #1579 on: May 10, 2020, 10:24 PM »
A few years back I tied two ice fishing flies using bright green and bright yellow craft twine at 1 AM before walking on water in Tully the next morning. Ugliest looking things I've ever seen. Spent the day throwing live bait and all the store bought tackle I had. Would have been skunked for the day if it were not for the two perch I caught when I finally tried those ugly lookin things. Gotta love those scrap and salvaged materials.
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

grady95

« Reply #1580 on: May 11, 2020, 08:39 AM »
Best panfish fly I ever tied was using the undercoat fur from one of our Siberian Huskies.  They have two distinct coats and in the spring, they blow their undercoat.  You can brush shopping bags full of fur out of them almost day after day for about three weeks.  What makes it so good though is the undercoat fur of a Husky has a hollow core.  This is why they can lay there in the winter and have so much snow pile up on them that when you go to look for them outside, sometimes all you see is a raised mound of snow with two little black points sticking up!  It's amazing how sturdy they are.  Anyway, that hair floats.  Tie a bit of into your normal popper pattern and you have a really great little fly that sits up on the surface like a water spider.
They're so good, I think even my brother can catch fish with them!   :rotflol:
Grady

big_guy_13021

« Reply #1581 on: May 11, 2020, 09:11 AM »
That's a good dinner rg..

big_guy_13021

« Reply #1582 on: May 11, 2020, 09:13 AM »
Went sunday for a little while .mom had to work  I took the little guy out

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1583 on: May 11, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Fish tacos last night👍

Grady, your fly sounds similar to an Adirondak Ugly. I tie those using a coyote muskrat blend. Gills love them.

Went out this morning for some perch. Made two casts and it started pouring. Had my rain gear on and normally I would have stayed.  But at 40* my hands just cant take it.

Gotta do a little reel maintenance anyway. Maybe ill get out later.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seamonkey84

« Reply #1584 on: May 11, 2020, 07:14 PM »
Husky under coat huh, good thing I work in a pet store that has a grooming salon  :rotflol: :rotflol:
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

grady95

« Reply #1585 on: May 12, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Any wolf descendant will have this kind of undercoat.  So if you have access, grab some Samoyed, Malamute, Alaskan Eskimo, Akita or Chow fur, or of course Husky.  Works great!  I tie some flies that sorta' look like really ugly Muddlers on big hooks with the dog fur on the back half, silver Christmas tree tinsel and whatever red stuff I have handy for the body and fish them for bass on the St Lawrence.  To look at them, you'd think I was on glue when I tied them but they just work!
Grady

DANMAN

« Reply #1586 on: May 12, 2020, 07:30 PM »
Fish tacos last night👍

Grady, your fly sounds similar to an Adirondak Ugly. I tie those using a coyote muskrat blend. Gills love them.

Went out this morning for some perch. Made two casts and it started pouring. Had my rain gear on and normally I would have stayed.  But at 40* my hands just cant take it.

Gotta do a little reel maintenance anyway. Maybe ill get out later.

Rg

how do you cook the filets for tacos?  fryer or broil or bake?  any breading or seasons?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1587 on: May 13, 2020, 03:14 PM »
Sliced into strips, breaded with House Autry Cajun, pan fried.

Very good!

Rg

big_guy_13021

« Reply #1588 on: May 13, 2020, 04:11 PM »

Went today for an hour he got 5 here's his big one for the day other ones were nice size to

Here's a couple of them

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1589 on: May 13, 2020, 07:22 PM »
Spot burner!
You stay out of that young man's  fishin' hole Mike!

He probably got them on a home brewed fly.
Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.