FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Golden Shiners  (Read 8373 times)

Flash_King

Golden Shiners
« on: May 30, 2005, 03:00 PM »
Recently found a local (Small) pond loaded with nice 7-9in. golden shiners-perfect PIKE bait. I can catch them in very limited no#'s with  a small pcs of worm under a bobber,but ofcourse you catch sunnies by the pail ful for each shiner caught. tried the minnow trap -caught only  smaller reg. shiner and small sunnies.State(MA) limits the size of the trap opening.Do I take a chance enlarge the opening,or would this even matter. Need suggestions PIKE are waiting!

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: Golden Shiners
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 03:26 PM »
I catch mine with hook and line I chum them with a piece of bread. And once I have a school around get out the ultralight and bait up a #10 hook with bread. Add a small bobber they also can be fun to catch especially when a bass  comes up behind the shiner has you are reeling him in. :o :o
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 03:43 PM »
If you've seen my picture thread, you've seen how I've been getting them, small worm pieces under a bobber have worked magic. I don't know what else you could do, maybe a seine? :-\

nitzer

« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:29 AM »
where can i catch them in new york?????
"sorry i missed your call...i was on my OTHER line!!!!!!

88fishing

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2012, 04:01 PM »
try a cast net throw out some bread to get a good size school going then toss the net over them just remember MA has a 3' limit on the cast nets i plan on getting one soon too. i to have the same problem sunfish get the bait first but i know i can get them with the cast net

nitzer

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2012, 06:59 AM »
thans for the info, but just looking for some small bodies of water where these goldies are

88fishing

« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2012, 09:27 AM »
thans for the info, but just looking for some small bodies of water where these goldies are

they can be anywhere just need to find them i got 2 huge ones the other day flyfishing for bluegill they were both 12-13" long they are fun on the fly rod lol

The Reel Deal

• Early Worm Gets The Lunker
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2012, 09:51 AM »
They are an awesome baitfish to target big fish and during the early spring when they spawn I try to load up on them! I would advise casting just in front of structure such as sticks, rocks, or trees just along the shore in about 2-3 feet of water because they lay their eggs on these structures and I find that this eliminates some of the bluegill that sit in deeper, more open water but, with a hook and bobber its almost impossible to avoid bluegill and sunnies.

nitzer

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2012, 01:23 PM »
thanks guys, but what bodiesof water?

88fishing

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 12:37 PM »
i mainly find thim in small ponds with feeder creeks but they are in lakes and rivers to i have caught alot below dams also

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.