FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Is there any rules to fish on reservations?  (Read 4831 times)

warren77

Is there any rules to fish on reservations?
« on: Jul 05, 2010, 09:27 PM »
I have no clue if there are any rules to fish on reservations...Can somebody help me out?

bushnell

Re: Is there any rules to fish on reservations?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2010, 10:31 PM »
Common logic would apply here,unless you have treaty status general regulations would apply to you.

The Anvil

• MFF Mod Team
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Regular fishing regs apply everywhere...

only thing I would suggest is get permission from the band if you want access to their land.

I used to fish the Narrows at Lac. St. Anne for many of years, one day I was approached by a few of the younger members of that particular reserve and was asked to leave as I was no longer welcome unless I paid them $10.00 to park there.
I just said that's only fair, walked away and went and got my canoe from my papa's cottage over in west cove and anchored off shore by the narrows and fished the rest of the day, they stood there on the bridge for at least 20 mins telling me that i still had to pay them, they left when I reminded them that NO ONE owns the lake  ;D

So be weary, I'd get their permission just to ease things out.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Jonny Anvil

~Gone Fishing~

warren77

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Common logic would apply here,unless you have treaty status general regulations would apply to you.

I guess i have no common logic because i asked a simple question and was to lazy to look at the regs. Thanks for not helping me out.

bushnell

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2010, 10:28 PM »
You're welcome

warren77

« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2010, 05:21 PM »
The reason i asked is my buddy said u can keep 3 walleyes at Saddle lake.

akt.duguid

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2010, 12:11 PM »
Section 30 of the Indian Act sets the offence for trespass on an Indian Reserve for non "Band" members.  So, only Band Members, people acting under the authority of a permit, lease or by invitation/ permission of Chief and Council, are actually non-trespassers.  Obviously this cannot be enforced by a Band member, it has to be a special constable appointed under provincial legislation.

warren77

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2010, 07:46 PM »
There are some lakes that u can fish as long as the reservation isn't surrounding the entire lake...just gotta fish the open side...I'm sure u can get a permit  if the lake is surrounded by a reservation etc...There are ways around it.

Thanks akt.duguid ,at least u gave me a civil answer. I was to lazy to look at the Regs.

bushnell

« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2010, 10:45 PM »
Warren my apology's I should have given you a proper answer, and not a smart ass reponse.
Tom

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2010, 11:08 PM »
One summer when i was working as a biologist aid in Indiana, the biologist told us about something he had heard about somewhere out west. It's been 30 years so I don't remember the details. But I will never forget he said a young game warden decided he was going to arrest a couple of young Native Americans for something on a l lake that was apparently not entirely an Indian reservation. Anyway, to make a long story short the Native Americans overpowered him, pinned him down, dropped his pants, and shoved a small walleye up his ***.  Allegedly it had to be surgically removed. Ouch!  :o
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

warren77

« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2010, 07:59 PM »
No worris Tom. I know absolutely nothing about fishing on reservations. I should have taken the time to look at the regs. I have heard some bad stories about people fishing Heart lake...locals are pretty hardcore. Come back to your truck and tires are missing etc...

The Anvil

• MFF Mod Team
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Warren

The two cents that I imputed may not have given insight into the regulation side of things but rather just personal opinion.
Did you ever make it out to the lake?

Edit: Hmmm??? with a walleye up the arse, could that still be counted as poaching? Do you think you would get a fine for that one? lol That poor bugger.

~Gone Fishing~

warren77

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Which lake do u speak of?

bushnell

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2010, 09:48 PM »
The only place that I know of where you get constantly asked for a parking fee would be ,at the Narrows of Lac Ste.Anne.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.