FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: MORELS  (Read 1863 times)

abishop

MORELS
« on: May 08, 2020, 11:13 AM »
My son found 4 yellows today. They were small so I told him to put a jar over them. Suppose to get down to 28 degrees tonight.

reeleyz

Re: MORELS
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 11:55 AM »
I am curious what your daytime temps have been in the past 2 weeks? Also have you gotten much rain?

I plan on looking for them this year for the first time and I am trying to get an idea of when they pop.

Spooled85

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 12:43 PM »
If any of you are waiting to look your getting a late start ! We have been picking them greys black and yellows from south of Howard county to Michigan City . And alot that have been found are dried up because they have been up too long. Also have been finding alot of pheasant backs all for about 3 weeks now

abishop

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 06:49 PM »
Boy ended up with 28 total. blacks, greys, and yellows.

abishop

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 06:50 PM »
If any of you are waiting to look your getting a late start ! We have been picking them greys black and yellows from south of Howard county to Michigan City . And alot that have been found are dried up because they have been up too long. Also have been finding alot of pheasant backs all for about 3 weeks now
What do pheasant backs look like?

Spooled85

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 08:21 PM »

We slice them up about 1/4 inch thick. And soak them in egg flour salt and pepper fry them also I like to to cut them up and put them in eggs or on a steak. Do you have to pick them when they're fresh you only eat what is easy to cut otherwise they get a weird taste to them you can find them in the spring and fall

regulator

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 04:26 AM »
Im in central NY, been studying on this a bit, and seems to me we haven't had the weather for them. Read in an old thread on NY morels that consistent daytime temps in the 60's with overnight lows in the mid 40's is the temps to look for. Some of the videos i've watched also show pretty green fresh undergrowth. Snow on the ground here this morning! LOL

Gartoon

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 06:00 AM »

Morels and ramps

Hexagenia51

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 01:50 PM »
Found some Pheasant Backs this morning. Never tried them before, so I'm going to try some. Got a few morels but their getting dry, got froze this morning! We need rain and warm weather bad!Here's a picture of the Pheasant Backs. Hex

RoeBoat

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 07:35 PM »

These were from adams county almost a week ago.  Too dry and cold now.  I've lost hope for any more.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Posted this in another thread. But thought it was worth sharing hear also.

Just a heads up for you folks  that consume morel mushrooms.
 Several weeks ago I had my first batch of morel mushrooms. On the same night I also had three or four beers. Within about three hours severe nausea and diarrhea.
 Sidenote I have consumed morals in the past with no problems.

Well the same thing happened last night. Consumed a very small amount of moral mushrooms. And two or three beers. Three hours later same thing.

Look up on the Internet and find the information provided below.

Morel mushrooms are sought after for their earthy taste and meaty texture. But like many varieties of mushroom, morels can cause allergic reactions or stomach upset for some people, especially if the mushrooms are undercooked or eaten raw [sources: Cascio and Johnson, MDCH]. Even those who are normally able to enjoy morels without any ill effects may find that consuming them with alcohol causes nausea or vomiting. Stranger still, a trouble-free experience with morels and alcohol in the past doesn't necessarily mean that you won't have an adverse reaction in the future.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

RoeBoat

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Interesting,  I come from a long lineage of alcoholics, they never seemed to have a problem with this.

Spooled85

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 09:12 AM »
I ALWAYS have a beer with my morells and never had a issue either. But your can develop a allergy to things . Heck I never had allergies at all now I get them .and false morels never made me sick but now they do

reeleyz

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 06:47 PM »
mothers day is about the peak for me most years and the end some years.  you better get to it fast reeleyz!

We had 3” of snow yesterday and the temps have been 10 degrees below average most days with freezing temps most nights.

I would think that would delay things this year?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.