FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: They killed our lake!  (Read 5781 times)

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

They killed our lake!
« on: Oct 03, 2018, 10:51 AM »
I heard thru the grapevine that they drained the lake in our private community. We have 2 lakes- one large and one small. I noticed a couple weeks ago they drew down the level on the small one to remove some larger trees that had uprooted and fallen into the lake. It was not totally drained and in a few days the level was raised back to normal levels. I assumed they were doing the same thing to our big lake.

What I found yesterday was shocking!  :o

Only a small amount of water left and a crane was fishing for the few remaining fish left!  :(

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: They killed our lake!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Ouch. Pretty level, shallow lake.
Wicked Wec

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Yes, most of it is fairly shallow but it was nice to have a place close by if the roads were bad and didn’t have to worry much about going thru the ice since you could stand most places.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Maybe done for dredging and/or maintenance?!?!

any ideas?

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2018, 02:44 PM »
No idea! That’s the issue............as homeowners, we should have been notified. The only way I found out about it was one of the lakefront homeowners posted something on Facebook and my wife told me about it.  ::)

I really doubt it will be dredged- don’t think we have money in the budget for that. (They used to stock the small lake with trout in the Spring but stopped that many years ago citing budget issues.)

My guess is it is a maintenance issue on the dam....................but did they have to drain it completely???!!!  :o

chris458wm

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2018, 04:44 PM »
That sucks big time I wonder what they did to try to save the fish that were in there.  Maybe the remaining water holds some fish in it.  If they drained it without a permit they could get hammered with fines.  I know a guy that broke a beaver dam that was ready to burst next to his house and DEP nailed him with $10,000 in fines.

seamonkey84

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Well that totally sucks!  But on the bright side, what fish remain or go in once they refill it, will have the place to themselves and be able to eat and grow like crazy. When they reclaim or when a winter kill happens, there’s usually a boom in the fishing a few years later.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Chris- I don’t think they did anything to try to save the fish. And it would not surprise me if they did this without a permit- the way our BOD operates lately.  ::)

And I really doubt they will approve the cost of restocking. I hope I am wrong, but I think this lake will be “dead” for many years to come.  :(

chris458wm

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2018, 05:29 PM »
That's sad very sad news.

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Found out they did have a permit...............to LOWER the level of the lake- not DRAIN it!  ::)

They said they were supposed to LOWER it for 10 yr dam inspection.

They didn’t do anything to save the fish since it was only supposed to be lowered. They said lots of fish were “flushed” downstream.

And like I suspected, no plans to restock!   >:(

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Bozo's

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Yep!  ::)

chris458wm

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Found out they did have a permit...............to LOWER the level of the lake- not DRAIN it!  ::)

They said they were supposed to LOWER it for 10 yr dam inspection.

They didn’t do anything to save the fish since it was only supposed to be lowered. They said lots of fish were “flushed” downstream.

And like I suspected, no plans to restock!   >:(

The permit to lower the lake doesn't give them the right to drain it, a huge difference that could cost them A LOT of money.  Seems to me that their plan was to drain it and figured they'd cover their butts by getting the permit to lower it.  It never ceases to amaze me how arrogant people are especially when you give them a title, it goes right to their heads and they think they're the rules don't apply to them.  This doesn't affect me at all but I'd love to see them get jammed up for doing that.  I can't say with absolute certainty but I think if they get nailed for draining the lake they could be forced to refill and restock it.  That'd be a beautiful thing.

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Actually Chris my money is on incompetence!  ::)

I think maybe they only meant to lower it but somebody screwed up.

Unfortunately, if we get a fine we(as in homeowners) will ultimately pay. They will assess each property x amount to pay the fine.

I never fished this lake a lot, but I really feel bad for the folks that bought lakefront properties here. That lake will only be good for ice-skating for years to come!  ::)

seamonkey84

« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Actually Chris my money is on incompetence!  ::)

I think maybe they only meant to lower it but somebody screwed up.

Unfortunately, if we get a fine we(as in homeowners) will ultimately pay. They will assess each property x amount to pay the fine.

I never fished this lake a lot, but I really feel bad for the folks that bought lakefront properties here. That lake will only be good for ice-skating for years to come!  ::)
If they pass the fine one to the association members/landowners that sounds more like a lawsuit against the people responsible.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.