FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cod confusion  (Read 1305 times)

porkpiehat

Cod confusion
« on: Apr 04, 2018, 08:22 PM »
I just read MA recreational cod regs and it says cod can be taken over 19” by private fishermen but it is closed to charter fishing.

I thought I just read in OTW that cod was closed “again” in 2018.

The MA regs were updated in summer 2017.

This was all north of cape. Can anyone clarify this?

Cheers

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Re: Cod confusion
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2018, 08:46 PM »
if you are fishing in state waters like boston harbor or cape cod bay you can keep one but in federal waters you cant take any like stellwagon.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2018, 08:57 PM »
if you are fishing in state waters like boston harbor or cape cod bay you can keep one but in federal waters you cant take any like stellwagon.
You can only take one cod in State waters until the end of April.

These are the Regs as of today.

April 4, 2018 MarineFisheries Advisory

Regulation Changes Affecting Recreational Groundfish:  Gulf of Maine Cod Prohibition and Status Quo Haddock Rules  Pending Georges Bank  Cod Measures

The Division of Marine Fisheries (DMF) is announcing the recreational fishing limits for Gulf of Maine (GOM) cod and haddock and pending rule changes for the Georges Bank cod caught in southern New England and Georges Bank. Rule changes will be implemented by emergency regulation on May 1, 2018 for a period of 90-days. A public hearing will be held this summer to implement these regulations beyond the 90-day emergency period.

The GOM cod and haddock rules apply within all state-waters north of 42° 00’, as well as all state-waters of Cape Cod Bay and the Cape Cod Canal. The Georges Bank cod  rules apply to all state-waters east of Cape Cod south of 42° 00’ and waters south and west of  Cape Cod   and the Islands. You may review NOAA Fisheries recreational fishing information sheet to see where these management area boundaries exist in federal waters. 

GOM Cod The prohibition on the retention and landing of GOM cod by all anglers in federal waters and by anglers on board for-hire vessels in state waters will remain in effect. Effective May 1, 2018, DMF will also be prohibiting the retention and landing of GOM cod by private recreational anglers. Accordingly, it will be unlawful for any recreational angler to retain or land GOM cod while in state or federal waters. 

GOM Haddock Rules governing the harvest of GOM haddock by recreational anglers will remain unchanged. These limits are described in the table below:

Georges Bank  Cod DMF anticipates emergency regulations will also be filed to increase the recreational minimum size from 22” to 24”for Georges Bank cod stock in southern New England. This will complement
2018 Haddock Rules Private Angler
Aboard For-hire Vessel Minimum Size 17” Bag Limit 12 fish
Open Season Year-round
Jan. 1 – Feb. 28 Apr. 15 – Sep. 16 Nov. 1 – Dec. 31

David E. Pierce, PhD. Director

Charles D. Baker Governor Karyn E. Polito Lieutenant Governor Matthew A. Beaton Secretary Ronald S. Amidon Commissioner Mary-Lee King Deputy Commissioner

federal rules currently under consideration by NOAA fisheries. Pending a final decision by NOAA fisheries, a subsequent notification will be made to update anglers on final rule changes. 

For more information regarding the management of groundfish, please visit our website at www.mass.gov/marinefisheries or call us at 617-626-1620. If you wish to obtain a copy of these regulations, please contact Jared Silva directly ([email protected] or 617-626-1534).

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2018, 09:14 PM »
What's the mortality rate if you bring these fish up from deep waters and release them? Do they have swim bladder issues or are they able to purge the air like some species? Just curious.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2018, 09:18 PM »
You can purge the air bladder.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2018, 09:39 PM »
You can purge the air bladder.

Are you talking about "fizzing" the air bladder? Because I've seen studies that showed that can actually add to mortality rates.

I was speaking of species that can naturally purge air:

'In fish with physostomous gas bladders, the pneumatic duct, which is a connection between the gas bladder and the gut, is retained in adults. This allows the fish to fill up the gas bladder by "gulping" air. Excess gas can be removed in a similar manner by dumping it into the gut. This condition is typical of more primitive soft-rayed teleosts."

http://www.digitalfishlibrary.org/library/ViewTag.php?id=164

http://web.utk.edu/~rstrange/wfs550/html-con-pages/n-gas-blad-func.html

Can't seem to find anything that says if the Atlantic Cod is a physostomous species. Anybody know?

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2018, 04:24 AM »
There was a study done like 2 years ago and the mortality rate was less than 15% (no fizzing) and with care, it was more like 7%.  This was a UNH study if I remember right.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2018, 08:34 AM »
There was a study done like 2 years ago and the mortality rate was less than 15% (no fizzing) and with care, it was more like 7%.  This was a UNH study if I remember right.

Good to hear. I've read just the opposite. Must depend on the study.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.