FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flee-ball game-Shrooms galore  (Read 6328 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Flee-ball game-Shrooms galore
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2018, 10:25 AM »
What kind of mushrooms can be found this time of year....in northeast, I come across all kinds while squirrel hunting but don't know enough to try any....love shrooms.

icejohn, the list is endless to be honest. For boletes - 2 colored, russels, frosts, chicken fat, red capped scaber stalks, birch, zellers, cracked cap, old man, King, hedgehog. For Suillius boletes - dotted stalk, painted, slippery Jill. Chanterelles - Golden, smooth, yellow foot, Cinnebar red, blue and close relative the black trumpet or horn of plenty. You also have chicken of the woods, hen of the woods (might be a bit early) and oysters. I am sure i missed a few as well. Just get out for a walk and you will be surprised at what you find. It has been dry in my area for days so I have been staying put until we get some rain.

Wicked Wec

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #16 on: Sep 09, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Thanks sharps...I'll be getting out in the woods for squirrel hunting....supposed to get lots of rain tonight and tomorrow...maybe will help. Thanks for your reply.
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Thanks sharps...I'll be getting out in the woods for squirrel hunting....supposed to get lots of rain tonight and tomorrow...maybe will help. Thanks for your reply.
icejohn

Rain always helps. Keep an eye out for Chicken of the woods growing on hardwoods and with this cool weather, I can see some hen of the woods emerging soon as well. I have already found oysters so this cool weather is helping out for certain species that's for sure.
Wicked Wec

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Rain always helps. Keep an eye out for Chicken of the woods growing on hardwoods and with this cool weather, I can see some hen of the woods emerging soon as well. I have already found oysters so this cool weather is helping out for certain species that's for sure.

thanks will look out for them...will also do a little more researching on the identification of those schrooms...thanks again for the info.
john
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: Sep 23, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Cant beleave i found 2 nice puff balls while mowing the lawn this late in the season ...  Yum...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Sep 23, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Ok, just found these in my raised bed under zucchini plants.  What are they?

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Any clue what these are?

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Can’t help you with the ID Dom. Been picking honey mushrooms like crazy here.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: Oct 04, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Nice. Never seen any like that around but never looked..
A little google search says they should be in my neck of the woods...   ;)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Hey Dom,

Sorry for the delay. The white mushroom you pictured is "the" destroying angel. One of if not the most fatal mushroom on this planet.

The scaled caped mushroom looks to be the false parasol. Also a VERY poisonous mushroom that attacks the stomach. The problem with this mushroom is that it actually looks like the highly sought after Parasol Mushroom.

I know its late now, but you did not miss out on anything edible.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2018, 02:40 PM »
Scott,

I used to pick the honey as well but do not anymore by choice. There are MANY look alikes out there especially the Scaly Pholiota and I do know a few people that were hospitalized from these. The honey is a great edible mushroom because it keeps its crispy-ness and I make a killer marinated dip out of them. However, there are so many other edibles that I no longer pick these. I had a chance to pick about 20 lbs of them 2 weeks ago FYI.

Wicked Wec

seamonkey84

« Reply #26 on: Oct 04, 2018, 04:29 PM »
I’ve been reading this thread Just because I’ve always found mushrooms fascinating even though I hate eating them. Yesterday while out squirrel hunting, I saw many colorful mushrooms since we just had a nice rain.
Almost can’t see the brown caps right in the middle of the pic

This one was mooning me while I sat for a wait.

Sorry, couldn’t help it.

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
« Reply #27 on: Oct 05, 2018, 07:05 PM »
LOL I have a buttcheek puffball photo somewhere.

I've seen people get pretty ill/allergic eating the honey shrooms. They most likely should have gone to hospital.  :P  I was taught by my grandmother n uncle how to id them since a wee lad, been picking the same areas for decades helps, have to be sure. For honey mushrooms to be sure you can do a spore print and it should be white.

Kind of mean, but someone did this to me so I have passed it on. When I take a newbie out picking, I always suggest they eat one raw.  Taste like a raw mushroom. But in about 30' seconds a bitter horrible reaction takes place. Mouthwatering yuck lasts for quite awhile if you don't have something to cleanse with. They are always upset but we'll surely laugh about it years later.

Guess that's why you are supposed to cook them, dilute the poison. I'd sure like to learn more about what else is edible in my area, I see tons of pig snouts and puffballs, basically stick to morels and the honey buttons.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #28 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:24 AM »
LOL I have a buttcheek puffball photo somewhere.

I've seen people get pretty ill/allergic eating the honey shrooms. They most likely should have gone to hospital.  :P  I was taught by my grandmother n uncle how to id them since a wee lad, been picking the same areas for decades helps, have to be sure. For honey mushrooms to be sure you can do a spore print and it should be white.

Kind of mean, but someone did this to me so I have passed it on. When I take a newbie out picking, I always suggest they eat one raw.  Taste like a raw mushroom. But in about 30' seconds a bitter horrible reaction takes place. Mouthwatering yuck lasts for quite awhile if you don't have something to cleanse with. They are always upset but we'll surely laugh about it years later.

Guess that's why you are supposed to cook them, dilute the poison. I'd sure like to learn more about what else is edible in my area, I see tons of pig snouts and puffballs, basically stick to morels and the honey buttons.

Scott,

When you are out and about take some pictures and post them on here and send me a PM. I have no issue helping you identify them. Not sure how many morels you get but if you ever had enough to dry them and ship them, I would be more than willing to trade some of my local edibles for some of yours. I actually already do that with a few folks and it works out great. I also have a shipper from work so it would not cost you anything.
Wicked Wec

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2018, 09:18 AM »
What are these?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.