FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Who is ready for the TURKS?????  (Read 10119 times)

Chainsaw

Re: Who is ready for the TURKS?????
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2006, 03:18 AM »
        If it's the last day today why am I still sittin' here? 'Cause it's foggy out, and by the time the smart ol' Turks come off the roost I'll be wet through and bug bit all around. Gimme another half hour though..... ;D

Pikeguy

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2006, 07:26 AM »
        If it's the last day today why am I still sittin' here? 'Cause it's foggy out, and by the time the smart ol' Turks come off the roost I'll be wet through and bug bit all around. Gimme another half hour though..... ;D

Go get em' ! ;D

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2006, 08:19 AM »
Its difficult to hunt this time of the year, the black flies will devour you, and the birds have been worked several times.
I have closed the deal several times this late but Its hard to get up and get out this hot and buggy!
Internet heros give it a rest!

Chainsaw

« Reply #78 on: Jun 02, 2006, 06:41 AM »
       Sorry 'bout the late post but..., I got my second bird on the second to the last day. Not much to brag about but it was walkin' n' talkin'. Though the fog was heavy on the fields it was quite clear in the woods. An older re-forested Red Pine lot with views along avenues of trunks long ago cleared of the lower dead branches, and just enough undergrowth to make it interesting, and a paradise for the Turks.
        Some bordering Oaks and Hickory trees provide scratchin' spots for nuts and stuff with some brush to hide in. I didn't bring the cam-corder again, darnit, as this would have made another great shot. This bird was in no hurry and the time he took to get in range had me wishin' you could use a rifle legally. That ol' Mossberg .22Mag has more reach but gettin' 'em to come in is the game.
         I have a scratcher I made from a Tom's leg bone for my slate. Sometimes it makes weirder sounds than a turkey normally makes but the Turks seem to respond with more intrest. I have to 'Hone' it on a semi oval stone to get the edges sharp but when it's on it'll bring 'em in, albeit more wary than with other good hen calls.
         Two steps forward, one back, then half a dozen to either side for a better looksee, then half a step forward and so on to the point where many hunters would have taken too long a shot and lost the bird, but being old and patient is what you waited to get this old for. I'm takin' this bird home. See ya in the Fall. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.