FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smelt  (Read 10024 times)

thechief

Smelt
« on: Feb 25, 2009, 10:00 PM »
Does anyone know if the smelt dipping on the finger lakes still happens?  I used to do this years ago, and would love to take my nephew if they still get them.  I prefer Cayuga or Keuka, but would go where ever they still get them.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

lpv89

Re: Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2009, 04:45 PM »
canadice i know has good smelt in it but im not sure if you can dip ???
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

twistedmentality

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2009, 10:54 PM »
i was thinking of doing this once spring comes. i know they used to do it at the south end of Owasco lake and at Cayuga where the gully runs into the lake near Union Springs.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2009, 02:14 PM »
i was thinking of doing this once spring comes. i know they used to do it at the south end of Owasco lake and at Cayuga where the gully runs into the lake near Union Springs.
I grew up there but no longer live there, keep bumping this post forward later in march, I think their on the comeback in Salmon creek at meyers( cayuga lake trib.) Somebody will tell you something eventually!                   GOOD LUCK ,LOVE THOSE SMELT! 
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

thechief

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:00 PM »
I grew up there but no longer live there, keep bumping this post forward later in march, I think their on the comeback in Salmon creek at meyers( cayuga lake trib.) Somebody will tell you something eventually!                   GOOD LUCK ,LOVE THOSE SMELT! 

thechief

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:04 PM »

Thanks SNAGGER.  I will do just that (keep posting until someone local replies).  Good luck this summer and hope you catch a boat load.

Gary

SNAGGER

« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2009, 11:48 PM »
Talked to one of my fishing buddies down there today. He said taughannock creek has been better than salmon creek last few years, usually around mid april. Me and my late buddy Travis used to be die hard taughannock fisherman and they would still be in there in may, but this was in the 80's & 90's. hope this helps!    SHANE
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

thechief

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:15 AM »
Thanks Shane.  I got your personal email and came back to this thread.

Gary

Trout6578

« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:24 AM »
I get them out of keuka, there are several small streams from branchport to hammondsport and along rt 54 from penn yan to bath. Usaully once we get a warm rain they will begin running. Usually from April 1st right up until middle of may. Actually the little stream north of the boat launch at Keuka State Park gets some suprisingly large runs when the conditions are right.

SNAGGER

« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2009, 11:28 AM »
I get them out of keuka, there are several small streams from branchport to hammondsport and along rt 54 from penn yan to bath. Usaully once we get a warm rain they will begin running. Usually from April 1st right up until middle of may. Actually the little stream north of the boat launch at Keuka State Park gets some suprisingly large runs when the conditions are right.
In those small streams do you guys still use those homemade speed nets, that's what we used to call them back in the 70's and 80's. the nets were like a small strainer and you would pick away at the smelt one at a time. I used to smelt a spot at the boy scout camps just north of taughannock(frontenac gulf creek) that way with my late buddy travis.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Trout6578

« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2009, 02:40 PM »
I use a standard smelt net but towards the end of a run on a small stream I have been known to just start picking them up by hand :D

thechief

« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I use a standard smelt net but towards the end of a run on a small stream I have been known to just start picking them up by hand :D
I can remember doing that when I was much younger and able to bend over......lol.  Trout6578 I sent you a PM, hope you get it.  THANKS for your posts and sharing of information. 

Gary

SNAGGER

« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2009, 07:29 PM »
I can remember doing that too as a kid. we used to snag them with ultra lite tackle in the day time at fall creek by the high school.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

weldingdude

« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:49 PM »
Does anyone know if the smelt dipping on the finger lakes still happens?  I used to do this years ago, and would love to take my nephew if they still get them.  I prefer Cayuga or Keuka, but would go where ever they still get them.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
i heard the smelt are hitting i small jig tiped with a spike on hemlock at the north end after dark with lantern next to hole. i have not checked that out yet, but two yrs ago a friend and i hammered them at the south end after dark.
good luck.   im goingto south end canandaigua lake tommorrow. spotty but not bad.

SNAGGER

« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2009, 10:41 PM »

Thanks,

Gary
Sounds like, hit the day after a rain over there on Keuka in early to mid april. Could have alot of fun on those smaller cricks. Probably less people than Cayuga lake. Got your work cut out though,looking at my Delorme map, alot of cricks on that lake. Wish I could be there to relive my youth again.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.