FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smelt  (Read 10023 times)

thechief

Re: Smelt
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2009, 06:35 AM »
Smelt run in the spring to spawn and they lay there eggs up at the end of flowing creeks and when they are running up the creeks you can dip net for them. I am not sure how much you can take but that is in the regs some where.

Hopes this helps
It used to be 8 quarts.  However, since I have not been in years and years, hopefully someone with more recent information will post the current limit.

Gary

Chucker

« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:21 AM »
Page 22 of the 08-09 regs say eight quarts per day for Cayuga and Owasco, taken between 7PM and 2AM.  Season runs March 1 through May 21.  For Cayuga, no dipping in Willow Creek.  Nets have regs too - dip net not exceeding 14 inches in diameter or 13 x 13 inches if square,

** Seasons, times, nets, and limit vary by body of water - check the regs page!  **

fishman

« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:52 AM »
Smelt run in the spring to spawn and they lay there eggs up at the end of flowing creeks and when they are running up the creeks you can dip net for them. I am not sure how much you can take but that is in the regs some where.

Hopes this helps

thanks
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:30 PM »
Road Trip!!!!

Didn't they used to get smelt in the harbor in Oswego as well, I seem to remember my grandfather going there.

cny
Hey CNY I have never smelted lake Ontario! About that question about when smelt come in. I remember as a kid a monster snowstorm as big as the blizzard of "93" hit on march 29th in 1981 or 82. I remember that date because it was my cousin's birthday. Well any way the night before I was smashing the smelt in fall creek behind the high school(Cayuga trib.), there was so many people smelting that night you could read a news paper. Must have been 150 cars on the side of the road. Those were the days!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

slabspanker

• i love wood and wood products
« Reply #34 on: Mar 16, 2009, 09:26 AM »
I WAS TOLD THAT YOU CAN ONLY USE A COLLAPSABLE NET AS WELL... NOW I'VE GOT TWO USELESS NETS... BUTTERFLIES ANYONE?

slabspanker

• i love wood and wood products
« Reply #35 on: Mar 16, 2009, 09:38 AM »
??? ??? ??? i am new to this idea. could somebody explain it a little? it sounds like dipping a net in the water to catch minnows ???

ESSENTIALLY, YES YOU ARE RIGHT ON. BUT I USUALLY GO AT NIGHT, WITH A SIX PACK AND A COUPLE OF BUDDIES. THAT MAKES IT FUN. BUT THESE FISH SWIM UPSTREAM IN LARGE SCHOOLS. ONCE A SCHOOL COMES THROUGH YOU DIP YOUR REAR OFF.  IT IS FUN BECAUSE OF THE SHORT TIME THEY ARE THERE. MY FAMILY HAS DONE IT FOR GENERATIONS. AND THE LITTLE THINGS ARE DELICIOUS. I DIP THE LOWER NIAGARA RIVER SO THE RUSH /DANGER OF THE WATER ADDS TO THE THRILL... PM ME IF YA WANT TO TRY.

Chucker

« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:10 PM »
I WAS TOLD THAT YOU CAN ONLY USE A COLLAPSABLE NET AS WELL... NOW I'VE GOT TWO USELESS NETS... BUTTERFLIES ANYONE?

Regs don't specify.  On page 22 again -

Dip nets
Any person who has a fishing license or is entitled to fish without a license may operate one dip net as specified in the tables below; these are the only circumstances where dip-netting is permitted unless a commercial license has been obtained.
Note: smelt, suckers, alewives and blueback herring are the only fish that may be taken with a dip net.

Smelt may be taken in a dip net not exceeding 14 inches in diameter or 13 x 13 inches if square, as follows:

thechief

« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:23 PM »
Regs don't specify.  On page 22 again -

Dip nets
Any person who has a fishing license or is entitled to fish without a license may operate one dip net as specified in the tables below; these are the only circumstances where dip-netting is permitted unless a commercial license has been obtained.
Note: smelt, suckers, alewives and blueback herring are the only fish that may be taken with a dip net.

Smelt may be taken in a dip net not exceeding 14 inches in diameter or 13 x 13 inches if square, as follows:

As follows?   Where is the rest of the information?

Gary

Chucker

« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:56 PM »
The "as follows" is the full listing of smelt regs for NY bodies of water.

thechief

« Reply #39 on: Mar 17, 2009, 04:41 PM »
Today was 60 degrees, anyone know if this was enough to get them running in Seneca or Keuka?

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #40 on: Mar 17, 2009, 11:33 PM »
Anyone know where to buy a smelt net. Would like to get a good one and can't find anything on-line or Gander,Cabelas etc.  I'm from No. Tonawanda so would like to stay in general area or order one. Thanx

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #41 on: Mar 18, 2009, 12:03 AM »
Sorry, found one at cabelas. Was not the metal mesh,but I'll give it a shot. :rotflol:

goodiejay

« Reply #42 on: Mar 18, 2009, 02:14 AM »
Your close to Canada.  There's a chain store up there called Canadian Tire.  They have everything imaginable.  Try them if your in the area.  They don't deliver though >:(

zadvorney

« Reply #43 on: Mar 18, 2009, 04:34 PM »
The two streams south of Well's Col. used to be easy pickings.  The water has to be the right depth for it to work.  I live in WNY now and don't get down there often.  I'd like to try the lower niagara. 

orangegill

« Reply #44 on: Mar 18, 2009, 04:53 PM »
I USUALLY SMELT THE WEST SHORE OF CAYUGA, SOUTH SHELDRAKE A FEW OTHERS AROUND THERE, THE PROBLEM ON THE STERAMS THE PAST FEW YEARS IS THE MOUTHS ARE NARROW AND OR CLOSED, SOMETIMES HIT LODI, OR VALOIS ON SENECA LAKE, BUT THEY HAVE RULES THAT DIFFER FROM MOST STREAMS.... BUT THE BEST IS TAUGHOUNTIC ( no one can spell it without looking it up )south end of cayuga west shore...... anyways my best moment and there are many is sending an ass of a in a deep hole without him aware it was there, watching the suckers swap feet from underneath our drunken selves, all the while holding the lantern above water ........ gotta love the wierd ciggaretts while your playing in the strams as well,,,, helps you focus and laugh when your buudy misses.... 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.