FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Perch Tips  (Read 10037 times)

conesusguy

Perch Tips
« on: Jul 24, 2011, 01:47 PM »
This summer I have missed a great deal of fish on lake ontario due to not detecting the bite.  I have improved slowly but am still missing a lot of strikes.  I try and keep my line as tight as possible, and keep my left hand loosely on my line to improve my detection.  I use 6lb mono and usually use a small jig weighted with the smallest sinker I can use depending on wind conditions on the bottom with the jig up top on a leader.

Do any of you seasoned perch (or panfish in general) anglers have any suggestions for a young angler?  I fish almost exclusively for perch because I am a meat fisherman and to me nothing in the world tastes better.  Specifically, any tips that will help me detect the bite more efficiently would be much appreciated. 

Also I am wondering about in-line spinners for perch, any recomendations? 

Gamma Fish

Re: Perch Tips
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2011, 02:01 PM »
This summer I have missed a great deal of fish on lake ontario due to not detecting the bite.  I have improved slowly but am still missing a lot of strikes.  I try and keep my line as tight as possible, and keep my left hand loosely on my line to improve my detection.  I use 6lb mono and usually use a small jig weighted with the smallest sinker I can use depending on wind conditions on the bottom with the jig up top on a leader.

Do any of you seasoned perch (or panfish in general) anglers have any suggestions for a young angler?  I fish almost exclusively for perch because I am a meat fisherman and to me nothing in the world tastes better.  Specifically, any tips that will help me detect the bite more efficiently would be much appreciated. 

First thing would be to use lighter line.  2 to 4 lb test is plenty for any perch fishing !
  If you've never used Fireline before, that would be the biggest and best change you could make.  2 lb Fireline has a very high breaking point.    Usually around 5 to 6 lbs.
  Depending on where you're fishing, a well balanced slip bobber rig will also help detect light strikes.  If fishing shallow, a fixed float is the way to go but make sure it's balanced to the weight on the bait, sinker or lure you're using.   Too many times I see people with floats that are much too big for the rig they have tied on below it.     You can test it out at home in a bucket of water to get the ultimate rig.  As little resistance as possible to pull the float under !.
  If you're not fishing with floats, Fireline will be your best bet to increase your feel.   Berkely also has a new line on the market called Nano Fil !    It's really an incredible line that is even more sensitive than Fireline but with a smaller diameter !    It makes casting a breeze with smaller jigs too !    It comes in all sizes from 1 lb up !
Plastics are Fantastic !

FreezinGator

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Gamma,

Are you fishing that nanofil tied straight to a jig/spinner or off a leader.  I am doing a fair amount of perch/crappie fishing but am also stream fishing for trout in clear water that can be pretty finicky.  Although I am having a pretty good summer, I have also missed alot of trout that follow then trail off using clear mono.  How clear is that nano?   I saw some ads for it and it looks pretty good.  I don't mind dropping the $20 if it is worth it.  Thanks -  Eric   
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  - Ben Franklin

Dark Cloud

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Gator - Nanofil has only been out a few weeks. Not many of us have gotten to use it much. The people I know that got to field test it rave about it.  I have had it out a few trips and I am completely impressed with it. Been lovin fireline since it first came out and Nanofil tops it. Smooth, thin, and strong...
As for a leader? It is not as clear as mono or florcarbon but most of the time tying direct is fine. In clear water I fish it like I did fireline or any other braid, and thats tied to a small #12 or 14 swivel then a 18 to 24inch piece of florcarbon. Not sure how much of a diff it makes to the fish but it sure helps with confidence. And confidence is a huge part of the success equation...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Gamma Fish

« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2011, 11:49 PM »
Gator - Nanofil has only been out a few weeks. Not many of us have gotten to use it much. The people I know that got to field test it rave about it.  I have had it out a few trips and I am completely impressed with it. Been lovin fireline since it first came out and Nanofil tops it. Smooth, thin, and strong...
As for a leader? It is not as clear as mono or florcarbon but most of the time tying direct is fine. In clear water I fish it like I did fireline or any other braid, and thats tied to a small #12 or 14 swivel then a 18 to 24inch piece of florcarbon. Not sure how much of a diff it makes to the fish but it sure helps with confidence. And confidence is a huge part of the success equation...
Nice response ! ;)
Plastics are Fantastic !

FreezinGator

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2011, 06:38 AM »
Cloud / Gamma,

Thanks guys - I am always looking for something to give me more distance on my cast - sometimes a few feet make the difference between a hit or not - esp with light lures.  Also, I fish mainly spinners for trout and line memory and twist are a constant issue.  I am going to give the nano a shot and throw on a Drennan fluoro leader and a micro swivel in clear water.  Some of those knots Berkley is suggesting look interesting also.  I appreciate the advice  :) - Eric

Gamma Fish

« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Cloud / Gamma,

Thanks guys - I am always looking for something to give me more distance on my cast - sometimes a few feet make the difference between a hit or not - esp with light lures.  Also, I fish mainly spinners for trout and line memory and twist are a constant issue.  I am going to give the nano a shot and throw on a Drennan fluoro leader and a micro swivel in clear water.  Some of those knots Berkley is suggesting look interesting also.  I appreciate the advice  :) - Eric
You'll be amazed at how much more distance you'll get with Nano-Fil or Fireline.  Especially with smaller baits/lures.
  One thing to remember though is that you need to fill your spools up with backing before you attatch the Nano-Fil.   Also, you'll only need 30 to 40 yards of the new line on your reels (less if you're using short rods as your casting distance is cut down a bit with the 5 to 6 ft rods.
   As far as the knots that Berkely shows, they're good but the Palomar knot is the strongest knot and works well with all of the super lines .  Easy to tie also !
  You're going to love the new line  ;)

Plastics are Fantastic !

tree-on

« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:03 AM »
One thing I have done which increased my pan-fish hookup from the boat is to use my ice fishing rig. I use to use a 6 foot UL rod, but with the little 26" rod I am hooking up more with a quick snap of the wrist. I run 4lb mono, and just keep a finger on the line.

Trakndwg

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2011, 02:11 PM »

I agree with Gamma on line size. I like 4# test. I fish 2 #4 Aberdeen hooks (or ice jigs) with bait on dropper loops tied about 6 to 18 inches up from a 1/4 oz. sinker. I'm convinced that perch often swim up to the bait and just sit there with the bait in their mouth. I set the hook and start reeling fast at the slightest movement or bump. In so doing I often hook up when friends fishing next to me are missing the bite. Also bend your hook points out slightly and keep hooks so sharp that they stick when pulled on your thumb nail. I'm convinced that dull hooks account for more missed bites than anything else. a friend who fishes with me a lot uses spinner blades. I don't see where they help or hurt his success. I think a lot of it comes with experience.
I might try these new lines they are talking about.   
"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

FreezinGator

« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Gamma,

Thanks for the tip on the backing - it never occurred to me to do that.  If you are $pending that kind of money on line it is a waste to not use backing.  I have two fly rods that use backing but never did it on my spinning rods.  I can spool up all three of my trout / perch rods with one spool of new line.  ;D

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Gamma,

Thanks for the tip on the backing - it never occurred to me to do that.  If you are $pending that kind of money on line it is a waste to not use backing.  I have two fly rods that use backing but never did it on my spinning rods.  I can spool up all three of my trout / perch rods with one spool of new line.  ;D
ive seen him hit the other side of a river no one else could touch with the flick of his wrist , pole and line do wonders  ;)

Gamma Fish

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Gamma,

Gator.
  Not only is the backing important as to not waste a hiogh dollar line but it also keeps your line anchored to the spool whereas if you tied Fireline or Nano-Fil directly to the spool, it would just spin as if your drag was loosened all the way.
   One more great aspect of these super lines is that when they start to look a little ragged on the business end (even ragged looking, they're still stronger and better than any mono line) you can just spool them right onto a different reel from the one they're on and get another couple years out of them !     That's the beauty of these lines !   You get so much more for your money than mono, copolymers and flourocarbons !
  I've been testing the lifespan of Fireline since it came out in late 1995.  I use the 4 lb exclusively not matter what I fish for.  I've had the same spool of line on one reel for over 4 years and it still performs the way it should !   It doesn't look pretty but it holds up just fine !
   My ability to use 4 lb for all warm water species without issues is attributed to my choice of rods.
I use nothing under 9 ft and a few that are 13ft.    They allow me to do things that are impossible with 5 to 8 ft rods and regular lines.    It's a system I've been using since the late 80's long before the super lines hit the market.   When they did come out in 1995, it turned a great system into a new generation and totally changed the way I fished.  Haven't looked back since !
  Most times, I can jig for walleyes, fish for deep water Seneca Lake perch, use a jig/float for panfish or fish for river catfish with the same rod, reel and 4lb test !
  Oh...and did I mention trolling ?     Same rig always ! ;D ;D

Let us know how you like the new line !
Plastics are Fantastic !

FreezinGator

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Gamma,

I just ordered it so when I get it and use it some I will let you guys know how it works.  From what you have said and what I have gathered on the net is sounds like it should work great.  I'll practice that palomar knot and look in my steelhead stuff for my small swivels.  Thanks again - Eric

Gamma Fish

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:08 PM »
Gamma,

I just ordered it so when I get it and use it some I will let you guys know how it works.  From what you have said and what I have gathered on the net is sounds like it should work great.  I'll practice that palomar knot and look in my steelhead stuff for my small swivels.  Thanks again - Eric
Where in CNY are you from ?     If you want to get together some day, I can show you some of the rigs and rigging that I've been using.   ;)
Plastics are Fantastic !

spoon-n-eye

« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2011, 11:34 AM »
in Cicero, show me, show me..........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.