FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Perch Tips  (Read 10038 times)

Gamma Fish

Re: Perch Tips
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2011, 11:37 AM »
in Cicero, show me, show me..........
Anytime Bill ! ;)   Just let me know when & where ! ;)
Plastics are Fantastic !

Trakndwg

« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2011, 06:59 AM »
You guys talked me into it; I have 4# NanoFL and Fireline on order to see if I like them better than my florocarbon. I've used Fireline before and I'm still a little iffy on it but always willing to try new applications. Now I gotta go back and reread the thread and see what you suggested for backing. Thanks for the topic and tips.  8)
"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

Trakndwg

« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2011, 07:04 AM »
You'll be amazed at how much more distance you'll get with Nano-Fil or Fireline.  Especially with smaller baits/lures.
  One thing to remember though is that you need to fill your spools up with backing before you attatch the Nano-Fil.   Also, you'll only need 30 to 40 yards of the new line on your reels (less if you're using short rods as your casting distance is cut down a bit with the 5 to 6 ft rods.
   As far as the knots that Berkely shows, they're good but the Palomar knot is the strongest knot and works well with all of the super lines .  Easy to tie also !
  You're going to love the new line  ;)

What do you like to back your superlines with Gamma? No point in my trying to re-invent the wheel here.
"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

eyedoktr

« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2011, 07:10 AM »
What do you like to back your superlines with Gamma? No point in my trying to re-invent the wheel here.

You can just strip off a bunch of the line already on the reel and use a back to back uni knot to join the two. If there is no line on the reel, I just use cheap mono.
Pete Lewis

bcons

« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2011, 07:43 AM »
Agreed whatever is on the reel now, it's only taking up space, so you don't need 600 yards of expensive line, and as mentioned before superlines don't grab the spool well.
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

bcons

« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2011, 09:23 AM »
My only question about the new line is, how well will it work through the ice?  Most superlines are useless below freezing.
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

Gamma Fish

« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2011, 11:18 AM »
You guys talked me into it; I have 4# NanoFL and Fireline on order to see if I like them better than my florocarbon. I've used Fireline before and I'm still a little iffy on it but always willing to try new applications. Now I gotta go back and reread the thread and see what you suggested for backing. Thanks for the topic and tips.  8)
TD.
    Over the years, I've found many people who tried Fireline only to say they weren't real happy with it but upon further investigation, most never took the time to learn its qualities and how to utilize them.   Some just couldn't justify spending the extra money .   
   As mentioned originally, and talked about below, backing is important as a filler and an anchor to keep the Fireline from slipping on the spool.
  A few other tips that will increase your fishing pleasure with Fireline are:

1.  Drag.   Keep it looser than you would when using any mono based lines.   With zero stretch, you'll rip the hooks out of the fishes mouth or away from them before the hook is in their mouths.  Strike detection time and feel is highly increased !

2.  Longer, softer action rods.  Not noodle rods but something that had a moderately slow action.
 They help with the shock absorption do to the zero stretch and also, pick up slack line off the water much faster to increase your hook up ratio even more.
   Guide sizes on the rod make no difference.   I prefer the smallest diameter guides I can get but they'll all work fine !
  Also, with the softer action rods, the fish won't feel the resistance as readily as they do with a stiffer action rod.
  4 lb Fireline breaks at almost 9 lbs but is the diameter of 2 lb mono (or less) ..  Using short whippy ultra light rods with Fireline really takes away from its ability to perform.   It's definitely a specialty line ands with a little adjustment here and there, it can be used for most fishing applications.

3. The size of the spool on your reel !   The bigger the diameter, the better !     Reel technology is returning to old school with the major manufacturers designing many of their new spinning reels with huge spool diameters intended to be used with all super lines.    The large diameter reels allow for much smoother casting and better retrieve ratios plus the total length of the reel is shorter and weights lighter.  Long cast spools and reels are a thing of the past !

4. Fireline (and Nano-Fil) sink faster than mono based lines when a weight or lure is attached but Fireline will float if not weighted.  This can work to your advantage as it makes a great strike indicator !

5. Strength.  When using Fireline or Nano-Fil with baits or lures that are balanced to the pound test you're using, most snags can be pulled free by steady rearward pressure. (don't wrap these lines around your hand when doing this unless you want to bleed) .  With light wire hooks, they'll straighten out and pull free.   I've even felt my jig pull through rock snags when using these lines !
 Bend the hook back and start fishing again !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You'll like both lines once you get used to their properties and how they react on the water.  I believe that the new Nano-Fil will be HUGE !
Just remember that there's hardly a fish in these parts that you can't land with 4 lb Fireline.
  Some people believe that because of the smaller diameter, they can move way up in pound test and have a better chance at landing a big fish.    In my experience with these lines, I've found that they're highly underrated pertaining to the break strengths.      4 lb Fireline breaks at roughly 9 lbs and 8 lb Fireline breaks at 15 to 18 lbs but the 8 lb fishes more like 12 lb test whereas the 4 lb fishes like 2 lb !   

Let us know how you do with the new lines !

GF
Plastics are Fantastic !

Gamma Fish

« Reply #22 on: Jul 27, 2011, 11:28 AM »
My only question about the new line is, how well will it work through the ice?  Most superlines are useless below freezing.
Nano-Fil is not porous like Fireline or other super lines so it won't pick up water and freeze like they do.  It's very slick and very smooth.   It'll be a hit through the ice this winter.
  One word of caution though............don't fall for all of the hype about "Special Ice Lines" or Specially Formulated for Ice Fishing" hype
  It's been a bogus marketing tool that for years that has made the line company millions of dollars  ::) ::) ::)
  They reduce the spool size and amount of line on the spool and give it a different color and new packaging  then sell it for double to triple the amount of the standard open water lines that they offer ! ;) ;)

Oh yeah....IF you decided to buy the Nano-Fil for ice fishing this winter, buy the 1 lb test for all panfish and perch applications.    If you're going to rip Sonars, DON'T USE THESE LINES......or you'll only reel in chunks of fish meat or lips !

If you buy the NF line and don't like it, I'll buy it from you for what you paid for it !   Nothing to lose ! ;) ;)
Plastics are Fantastic !

jopes

« Reply #23 on: Jul 27, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Before I left NY I always use a 1/4-3/8 ounce sinker, Some times 1/2 ounce.  Tied two #6 gold arberdeen hooks 1 and 2 feet above the sinker and baited the hooks with worms when the water was warmer, minnows and spikes when it was colder. 

This setup worked well for me.

papa

« Reply #24 on: Jul 27, 2011, 05:51 PM »
I use 3lb fireline on all my ice jigging poles and i will never go back to mono in the winter time.I lost two jigs all of last year .The only draw back is that it can be difficult to retie the line is super slippery.

Trakndwg

« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2011, 03:27 PM »
My favorite light rod is now loaded with 4# Nano Fil. That stuff is like angle hair. I'll tie on a slider and put Nano to the test this week. 8)

FreezinGator

« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Just got the 4lb. Nanofil in the mail today.  I haven't spooled up yet but practiced tying some knots.  Holy crap is this stuff thin.  I see what you guys are talking about with the backing.  It really looks good  ;D - I have to work a couple more shifts before I can test it.  I will let you guys know this week how it goes - can't wait.   -Eric
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  - Ben Franklin

jawk

« Reply #27 on: Aug 01, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Hi,
Likely this suggestion is too simple. However, as no one mentioned it. I used two piece rods for years, the first time I spent a lttle more $ for a good one piece rod I was surprised at how strikes?nimbles felts. Remember the first day with new rod, as I was pullin perch on one end of the boat, while my partner was pullin empty hooks most of the day.

This summer I have missed a great deal of fish on lake ontario due to not detecting the bite.  I have improved slowly but am still missing a lot of strikes.  I try and keep my line as tight as possible, and keep my left hand loosely on my line to improve my detection.  I use 6lb mono and usually use a small jig weighted with the smallest sinker I can use depending on wind conditions on the bottom with the jig up top on a leader.

Do any of you seasoned perch (or panfish in general) anglers have any suggestions for a young angler?  I fish almost exclusively for perch because I am a meat fisherman and to me nothing in the world tastes better.  Specifically, any tips that will help me detect the bite more efficiently would be much appreciated. 

Also I am wondering about in-line spinners for perch, any recomendations? 

OTIS

« Reply #28 on: Aug 01, 2011, 11:10 AM »
Hi,
Likely this suggestion is too simple. However, as no one mentioned it. I used two piece rods for years, the first time I spent a little more $ for a good one piece rod I was surprised at how strikes?nimbles felts. Remember the first day with new rod, as I was pulling perch on one end of the boat, while my partner was pulling empty hooks most of the day.

I'm a firm believer in one piece rods.  Almost all the rods I own are one piece.  I also like the longer one piece rods, 7+ feet in length.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #29 on: Aug 01, 2011, 11:18 AM »
i'm  a  line  watcher   i  usually  set  the  hook  before  i  ever   feel  the  hit  anyways  ,,  golden  strean  or   solar   really  helps  me..... 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.