FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Perch Tips  (Read 10036 times)

Icedauber

Re: Perch Tips
« Reply #30 on: Aug 01, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I use 4lb fireline ice in the winter. Great for perchin. Will try the new line this winter.

FreezinGator

« Reply #31 on: Aug 01, 2011, 02:14 PM »
I like the one piece rods also - unfortunately I lost my favorite one in a pond last week crappie fishing in my canoe.  Had on a double and pulled in the first one and dropped it in the bucket still on the line and set down the pole.  After reeling in the second crappie I turned around to find the first fish had come off the line in the bucket and in the process bounced my rod into the water :'(.  Jigged with my heaviest lure for about ten minutes with no luck snagging it.  I guess that is how it goes some days...  at least I have a good excuse to buy a rod this time... ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  - Ben Franklin

Dark Cloud

« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2011, 02:55 PM »
I'm a firm believer in one piece rods.  Almost all the rods I own are one piece.  I also like the longer one piece rods, 7+ feet in length.

Im a firm NON-believer in one piece rods.  ;D
With modern blank technology, todays guides,  and "superlines" I refuse to believe a one piece is more sensitive. We need to compair apples to apples though, ie - same blank. Something like St Croix's ScII blank, the 2S70MLF is a 7ft fast action blank offered in one or two piece design. A blindfolded human fishing one of each would have a 50/50 guess of which was which...  8)

Plus I hate storing one piece rods...  ;D
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Gamma Fish

« Reply #33 on: Aug 01, 2011, 02:57 PM »
With modern blank technology, todays guides,  and "superlines" I refuse to believe a one piece is more sensitive. We need to compair apples to apples though, ie - same blank. Something like St Croix's ScII blank, the 2S70MLF is a 7ft fast action blank offered in one or two piece design. A blindfolded human fishing one of each would have a 50/50 guess of which was which...  8)

Thank You !     Totally agree !   Saved me some typing ! ;) ;)
Plastics are Fantastic !

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #34 on: Aug 01, 2011, 03:19 PM »

everything  you  said  is  correct    but.....   if  i   wanted  a  "cheap"  sensitive   rod  i  would   go  one  piece  ....  like  you  say   compair  apples  to  apples   not   everone  is   going  to   go  with a  top  quilty   blank   and  guides  nor   use   braided  line    ...remeber  this  is  perch  fishing  and  some  people  have  budgets  (unlike  the federal  government) ...  i'm  a  line  watcher  myself   but   my   one  piece  ultras  are  more  sensitive    then  2  piece
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

FreezinGator

« Reply #35 on: Aug 01, 2011, 03:29 PM »
I own both but prefer one piece rods because they don't:

1. Separate when casting - go ahead and have a laugh but I have seen just about everyone have this happen
2. Twist so the eyes don't line up
3. Get so stuck together that they will break when trying to be separated

I like the two piece rods for traveling but that is about it.  The difference in sensitivity might be small but I don't see how a two piece can be as sensitive as a one piece.  Just my opinion  :)  Eric

Dark Cloud

« Reply #36 on: Aug 01, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Just trying to make someone stop and think before they buy a one piece because they think the "extra" sensitivity will catch them more fish...  8)

everything  you  said  is  correct    but.....   if  i   wanted  a  "cheap"  sensitive   rod  i  would   go  one  piece  ....  like  you  say   compair  apples  to  apples   not   everone  is   going  to   go  with a  top  quilty   blank   and  guides  nor   use   braided  line    ...remeber  this  is  perch  fishing  and  some  people  have  budgets  (unlike  the federal  government) ...  i'm  a  line  watcher  myself   but   my   one  piece  ultras  are  more  sensitive    then  2  piece

There a too many "cheap" options out there. One of my all time favorite jigging and stickbait rods is a Rapala "long cast" rod I picked up  a few years ago at Bass Pro for $20 bucks. It is a 2 piece and when we fish eyes at night I close my eyes just because, plus with fireline it is that sensitive.  ;D An awesome perch panfish rod that is reasonable is BP' Wally Marshall series - right around 45 bucks. Im not talking high end blanks...

I own both but prefer one piece rods because they don't:

1. Separate when casting - go ahead and have a laugh but I have seen just about everyone have this happen
2. Twist so the eyes don't line up
3. Get so stuck together that they will break when trying to be separated

I like the two piece rods for traveling but that is about it.  The difference in sensitivity might be small but I don't see how a two piece can be as sensitive as a one piece.  Just my opinion  :)  Eric
1. - It can happen but for the most part they were not put together right...
2. - not built right - if that is happening the builder did not build on the straightest axis or the spline...
3. - dosnt happen with modern furrels...

Just my opinion but a human cant detect the difference...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Gamma Fish

« Reply #37 on: Aug 01, 2011, 06:14 PM »
Just trying to make someone stop and think before they buy a one piece because they think the "extra" sensitivity will catch them more fish...  8)

There a too many "cheap" options out there. One of my all time favorite jigging and stickbait rods is a Rapala "long cast" rod I picked up  a few years ago at Bass Pro for $20 bucks. It is a 2 piece and when we fish eyes at night I close my eyes just because, plus with fireline it is that sensitive.  ;D An awesome perch panfish rod that is reasonable is BP' Wally Marshall series - right around 45 bucks. Im not talking high end blanks...
1. - It can happen but for the most part they were not put together right...
2. - not built right - if that is happening the builder did not build on the straightest axis or the spline...
3. - dosnt happen with modern furrels...

Just my opinion but a human cant detect the difference...

Agree again here !      If you're fishing in the dark ages, you might have these issues but any mass produced rods in the 20 to 50 dollar range is good enough quality to not have issues with.
   Most rod/reel issues come from people who don't use the proper size reels for the rods or line that's too heavy or too light for the rod. !
Plastics are Fantastic !

FreezinGator

« Reply #38 on: Aug 01, 2011, 09:28 PM »
To each his own - if I have an option where I can buy or use a one piece rod I will.  It is possible that some of the issues I have had with two piece rods were self inflicted, but they just don't happen with a one piece.  I just know I like using a one piece and that works for me.  If it doesn't for you then go get yourself a two piece.  The vehicles I drive don't require me to break down a rod and I have plenty of space to store them.  I get out of my vehicle and pick up the rod and go, no putting it together, running the line through the eyelets and tying on a lure when I could be fishing.  One piece rods make sense for me.   :)

I tried out the Nanofil tonight.  AMAZING.  This stuff casts forever.  I was throwing 1/32 oz jigs like they were 1/8 oz.  When you make a cast you almost wonder if the lure is still attached because you feel zero drag from the line being pulled out. The stuff floats through air like a feather.  I really had to be careful that I wasn't hitting boats that were next to the docks I was fishing.  I tied on a fluoro leader so it was easy changing lures.  I had zero line memory issues.  You can still see the rings in the line when there is no tension on it but I had zero tangles or knots.  Can't wait to throw spinners in the streams.  Really good stuff.  Thanks Gamma for recommending it and providing the tips for using it.   :)  -Eric

kb

« Reply #39 on: Aug 16, 2011, 12:26 PM »
.    If you're going to rip Sonars, DON'T USE THESE LINES......or you'll only reel in chunks of fish meat or lips !

If you buy the NF line and don't like it, I'll buy it from you for what you paid for it !   Nothing to lose ! ;) ;)

What do you mean by rip sonars? 
Life isn't about just surviving a storm, but learning to dance in the rain.

TheDL

« Reply #40 on: Aug 16, 2011, 01:04 PM »
I was wondering the same thing  ???

All good tips...the switch from mono to braid/fused will make the biggest difference in sensitivity and feeling the bite, I switched this year from mono to braid and the difference is night and day.  Combine with a flouro leader when visibility is an issue and you'll be way ahead of the mono-users.
tight lines....

pike46

• looking for my 30 pounder
« Reply #41 on: Aug 16, 2011, 02:19 PM »
Gamma, what weight rods are you talking about? 9ft rod light action? moderate? i take it you could land a big walleye? would you recommend this kind of set up for pike fishing?.....obviously a little heavier. I like the idea of going lighter and longer rod for pike. i use 30lb fireline on a 7 foot rod now. what lb fireline you think i could get away with and still land big pike? lots of good info gamma.

Gamma Fish

« Reply #42 on: Aug 17, 2011, 12:33 AM »
Well.......It's basically a rip and drop technique that many times, snags more fish than it catches in the mouth !  Ripped with such vigor and speed so as to create vibrations (which the bait was designed to do) that attracts walleyes and other species.    As the bait falls back to the bottom or close to it, it's ripped aggressively again in hopes that some fish have been attracted to the area and will attempt to eat it.   Every now and then, they will but many times, they try to eat it with their chins, bellies, fins etc  ::) ::)
   A Sonar doesn't have to move fast to create the vibrations that attract fish.   They'll vibrate on a steady retrieve, jig or troll.
  Walleyes don't move fast when they feed but man do they move when they have a couple treble hooks burried in them at 40 miles an hour ! :o :o :o ;D ;D

Just my opinion......I could be wrong ! :whistling: ;D ;)

Gamma, what weight rods are you talking about? 9ft rod light action? moderate? i take it you could land a big walleye? would you recommend this kind of set up for pike fishing?.....obviously a little heavier. I like the idea of going lighter and longer rod for pike. i use 30lb fireline on a 7 foot rod now. what lb fireline you think i could get away with and still land big pike? lots of good info gamma.
Pike.
   The rods I use and have been using since the mid 80's are specialty rods designed for crappie fishing.  They were made originally by Loomis for Cabelas and then by companies in Japan, Korea and Taiwan.   Unfortunately, Cabelas stopped carrying them about 4 years ago so to find one these days, is like finding the holy grail but I'm hoping that Dark Cloud and his rod building expertise will be able to reproduce them in the near future ! :whistling: :whistling:
  My main rods are 9 foot Cabelas CS 900 Crappie System rods.   I also have them in 10, 11 & 12 foot models. 
  They were originally designed for tournament crappie fishermen in the Southern USA where trolling jigs and smaller baits is very popular and productive.
  The rods have a micro tip of solid carbon graphite which makes up the last 20 to 24 inches of the rod.   The rest of the rod is IM-6 Graphite and on a few models, IM-6 with Kevlar weave.
  They have a super stiff backbone that tapers down to the tip that's no bigger than most micro ice rods.   2/64ths.........They are built with high frame "Match Guides" which taper down to single foot micro guides like you'd find on a high end Thorne Brothers ice rod.  This makes the rod as light as most 5/15 to 6 ft ultra light rods...sometimes lighter !       With the stiff butt section, it allows you to muscle fish incredibly easy considering it's only rated for 2 to 8 lb line.
  Most people when they hear that someone is using rods that are 9 to 12 feet, their first thought is that it's a noodle rod or a super slow action rod.    These rods are just the opposite.   Super fast tip action with a long, strong butt section !    They're hard to describe any better unless you have one in your hand !
   Like I said, I fish primarily with the 9 foot models using 4 lb Fireline and have landed everything from bluegills to 38 pound carp !  (actually, the carp was landed on 6 lb Bagely Silver Thread long before Fireline hit the market !)
   The micro tip detects strikes long before you'd ever see or feel them with a standard rod.  There's no rearing back to set the hook !  Most times, when using Fireline, the fish hook themselves do to the lack of line stretch and the fact that they didn't feel any resistance from the rod tip.   Most times, just lifting the rod tip a few inches is enough to bury the hook in their jaws !
   If I'm targeting more aggressive fish, sometimes, I'll switch to 6 lb Fireline but that's a rarity !
  Even the smallmouths on Oneida Lake get whooped quicky with this rod/line combo.  You get much more control with the long rods !
  One of the main benefits and reason why I really like this set up is that you can pick up slack line off the water so much faster !   If you're a line watcher and you're using a 6 to 7 foot rod, you need to drop the tip, reel in slack and set the hook.    Sometimes, it's too late and the fish is gone.   With the long rod, raise the tip and for the most part, the hook is set !
  I've also found that after years of using this rig, I have far few fish that get hooked deeply in the throat.   The reaction time and strike detection time is so much faster that the fish are nearly all hooked in the mouth !
   Did I mention casting distance ?   It's out of sight !

OK...on to your question as to if I'd recommend a set up like this for pike fishing.   The answer is Yes & No !    Yes !    Some of the newer "Crappie Rods" made by several companies these days are rated for much heavier lines and double as great catfish or pike rods !    Dark Cloud mentioned "Walley Marshall" rods at Bass Pro.  They make several rods that would be suitable for pike fishing even thought they're designated for crappies !   B&M, Pinnacle, Quantum, and other companies make similar rods with the small tip section and what they refer to as a "Fighting Butt"   Unfortunately, we don't get too much to choose from up here in New York as Crappie fishing isn't seen or recognized as a way of life like it is in the Southland !    Not all is lost though as you can go on line and check some of the "Specialty" Crappie fishing sites or go to GrizzlyJig.com to see a huge catalog of these types of rods !      It's where I'll buy my replacements if Dark Cloud can't spin me up some new rods.
     On the NO end, I wouldn't recommend using this type of set up when tossing extremely heavy baits !     But, many of the specialty crappie rods you'll find at Grizzly Jig come with 2 or 3 tip section which allow you to fish heavier baits and fish in heavy cover !   They also sell replacement tips for most of the rods they sell and they're very reasonable !        You'll definitely be able to use much lighter line (especially Fireline) and with that, get better action from your lures plus the ability to use lighter baits and cast them much further than if using mono.
  It's one of those things that you have to try !  It's a system that you have to get adjusted to but the rewards are immense !  If you're ever in the Oneida Lake area and want to see my set ups, feel free to contact me and I'll meet up with you !

Plastics are Fantastic !

infectedtoe1952

« Reply #43 on: Aug 17, 2011, 05:58 AM »
if you cant catch a 1/2 lb perch on 6# test, learn how to fish!!!!!!!!! it aint the high price rod and super line, its the user!!!!!!!!

Gamma Fish

« Reply #44 on: Aug 17, 2011, 08:57 AM »
if you cant catch a 1/2 lb perch on 6# test, learn how to fish!!!!!!!!! it aint the high price rod and super line, its the user!!!!!!!!
The rods I use are high end but not in cost !  They're only $39.95 to $59.95 each.
  My question to you is....Why would you use 6 lb test for perch fishing ?  ::)  Maybe if you're a "meat Fisherman"  using a bullhead rig with 2 ounces of sinkers and the fish are commiting suicide right under the boat or close to shore but .........A specialize rig with the proper line size and weight will allow you to do things you can't do with a rig like you've described.
  Sounds like you've been to the "Trapper School of Fishing"  ::) ::) ::)
  There's a big difference between "Fishing" & "Catching" !     Being one dimensional doesn't benefit the former  ;)
Plastics are Fantastic !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.