FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: canning salmon  (Read 9933 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
canning salmon
« on: Oct 04, 2012, 09:40 AM »
anyone  ever  try  to  can  our  salmon  ,  just  wondering  if  they  taste  like  store  bought  i  like  salmon  pattys  ??? ???
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

steelie24

• Hooked since first steel - 1965
Re: canning salmon
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2012, 10:38 AM »
yes I've done it, tastes better than store bought...also we use to add a little ketchup for color, otherwise the meat turns all white...I think using a pressure cooker for about 90 mins does it, haven't done the canning in years though...also when I was stationed at King Salmon Alaska, two of us canned 15 cases of salmon using regular canning cans. In Michigan and New York I used the glass jars

trapper2000

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2012, 10:45 AM »
very   cool  steelie  i  think  i'm  going  to  try  it  ! 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2012, 12:33 PM »
yes I've done it, tastes better than store bought...also we use to add a little ketchup for color, otherwise the meat turns all white...I think using a pressure cooker for about 90 mins does it, haven't done the canning in years though...also when I was stationed at King Salmon Alaska, two of us canned 15 cases of salmon using regular canning cans. In Michigan and New York I used the glass jars

Do you use a pressure cooker or a pressure caner??

This is what I looked like after spending 5 days in the Syracuse burn unit the last time I used a pressure caner......This was one week later...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

carpcatcher

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2012, 12:39 PM »
I never tried canning Salmon but I did steelhead the other year and then made salad out of it(like tuna salad) and it was good. I just used a regular canner, not a pressure one. I would think that the salmon would be just about the same.
Love 2 fish

Santo180

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2012, 01:37 PM »
Wow who knew cooking could be so dangerous.

gotabig1

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2012, 01:46 PM »
OUCH!!!

The Reel Deal

• Early Worm Gets The Lunker
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2012, 01:48 PM »
OMG! I would love to try it sometime but, they Syracuse Burn Unit doesn't look to great. Haha hope all is well Raquettedacker! Does anyone know of a good informational video or book?

esox v

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2012, 02:04 PM »
yes I've done it, tastes better than store bought...
Do you eat the can or the salmon ?? ;D ;D
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

trapper2000

« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2012, 02:34 PM »
omg  Raquettedacker what  happened????  i  have  used  a  pressure  canner  all  my  life  and  never  had  a  bad   experance  ,  if  it   doesn't  bother  you  please   shed  some  light  as  to  what  went  wrong  ,  perhaps  you'll  save  someone from  going  threw  the  same  type  of  accident !  ,  i  surely  hope  your  better

Lundin-loading

« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2012, 02:39 PM »
I always heard story's about them exploding, DANG!
Beauty

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2012, 04:43 PM »
canned salmon aint worth that :o

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

fishingjason

« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2012, 04:56 PM »
If anyone has questions on canning then buy the Ball Blue Book on Canning/Pressure Canning. Its' been around forever and is full of useful information.  If you are buying a pressure cannermake sure it is under the USDA Published Process.
That's a horrible accident. Man it looks aweful. I'm guessing its one of the many reeasons they mandated safety features on pressure canners. I certainly wouldnt look at a pressure canner after that.

raate

« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Do you eat the can or the salmon ?? ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D

River caught, or caught out in the lake in June?  ;)
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2012, 06:05 PM »
This happened about 18 years ago...   My wife and I were caning tomato sauce..   The gauge said no pressure on it and I went to remove the lid....   Was like a bomb going off...    The lid came off so hard it bent the range hood in a V... Through the jars out on the floor..  The only thing that saved me was taking off my shirt and jumping in a cold shower......   That's where the skin started sliding off... :o   Lucky I got my eyes closed in time, but it did burn up my nose..

Yes it was an older one, I'm sure the new ones are much safer... ::) ::)     Now all our caning is done in a hot water boil on the propane cooker out on the deck..... ;D ;D    But theres some things you cant can without a pressure caner, like caned venison.... :'(

Be careful using one...  Ya never know.... 8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.