FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: canning salmon  (Read 9932 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: canning salmon
« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2012, 10:37 PM »
sorry  man  you  went  threw  that .  thanks   for  sharing  what  was  a  horrorable  experance 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

TinkerS

« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2012, 11:13 PM »
I have two pressure cookers, both purchased in the last 10 years, new in the box.  They both have #1 a pressure relief valve in the form of a rubber plug and #2 a pop up lock that will not allow you to open the lid until pressure drops.  Do not buy a pressure canner from a second hand store or garage sale as they are likely older and have neither of these features.  I haven't tried to can salmon yet but may try this winter if I get better at catching them on the hard water.  We haven't used the larger pressure canner to can much but my wife uses the smaller pressure cooker all the time.  Can you say 45 minute pot roast just like mom used to make by baking all afternoon, ummmm actually had london broil in the pressure cooker just tonight.

rakerdave

« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2012, 06:01 AM »

Do you use a pressure cooker or a pressure caner??

This is what I looked like after spending 5 days in the Syracuse burn unit the last time I used a pressure caner......This was one week later...

wow that's crazy man

carpcatcher

« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2012, 06:52 AM »
   But theres some things you cant can without a pressure caner, like caned venison.... :'(

I know the books say you can't but we do it all the time and have never had a problem.

Love 2 fish

coop47

« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:03 AM »
i have canned venison every year without a pressure cooker 3 hrs at a boil never had a problem

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:06 AM »

I know the books say you can't but we do it all the time and have never had a problem.

i have canned venison every year without a pressure cooker 3 hrs at a boil never had a problem

Thats good to know...   I was always told you need a caner....   I will kave to try it...   Thank you...   Any good recipes?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

carpcatcher

« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2012, 08:44 AM »
Just chunk the meat up into the size you want, fill the jar up to the neck, add a little water and some salt. Thats the simple way. Now if you want to get fancy you can add some of the powdered gravy mix in with it and then when your ready to use it just make some egg noodles or rice and heat up the meat and put over them. Thats about as simple of a meal as you can get.
Love 2 fish

reeleyz

« Reply #22 on: Oct 05, 2012, 09:11 AM »
RD - That looks scary, glad it wasn't worse.

Trapp - we can salmon, browns, and venison every year with a pressure cooker. I use the same method as carpcatcher but use a little vinegar instead of water. The canned salmon is great for tuna fish sandwiches and salmon patties.

Now you got me craving salmon patties, I think I know what's for dinner tonight!

trapper2000

« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2012, 10:54 AM »
well  i'm  going  to  try  it!  i  have  found  alot  on  the  internet  too  ...  i  agree  with  there  pressure  release  and  my  canner  locks  while  it  has  pressure  too  !  another  thing  (safty)  i  found  out  which  is  so  simple  i  feel  stupid  is  make   sure  the  gage  hole  is  not  pluged! 

skidplate

« Reply #24 on: Oct 14, 2012, 03:31 PM »
I just ate some canned king from last season and it is really really good.  Which is saying a lot because I generally do not eat chinooks because of their "mudshark" status. Followed the recipe in the Ball book which is pretty much stuff salmon in jars and process for 100 minutes. I am kind of a canning wacko and can well over 200 quarts of all sorts of things over a season.  No one should can salmon or any other low acid food in a non-pressure canner.  By low acid I mean anyhing less acidic than tomatoes.  If you pickle the salmon in a mixture of 2 parts vinegar 1 part sugar with some pickling spice it is nothing short of wonderful and is fine not processed at all, but one should not assume that waterbath canning would preserve the salmon for any amount of time because the max temperature of 212 F is not sufficient to kill off the bacteria present in the food.  That said, the Ball canning book is a wealth of information for anyone interested in canning and preserving food and is probably in the top 5 best things I ever spent $20 on.  They are available on Amazon.com and Tractor Supply.
There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
 Ron Paul

trapper2000

« Reply #25 on: Oct 14, 2012, 04:03 PM »
skid  plate  i   did  try  it  and   yup  it  was  great !  i'm  wondering  now  it  i  should  can  some   pickerel  !  i  bet  they  would  be  good  too

griz104

« Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2012, 04:08 PM »
I have two pressure cookers, both purchased in the last 10 years, new in the box.  They both have #1 a pressure relief valve in the form of a rubber plug and #2 a pop up lock that will not allow you to open the lid until pressure drops.  Do not buy a pressure canner from a second hand store or garage sale as they are likely older and have neither of these features.  I haven't tried to can salmon yet but may try this winter if I get better at catching them on the hard water.  We haven't used the larger pressure canner to can much but my wife uses the smaller pressure cooker all the time.  Can you say 45 minute pot roast just like mom used to make by baking all afternoon, ummmm actually had london broil in the pressure cooker just tonight.

Still gotta be careful..Had a friend decide he was going to Do Salmon up and got a phone call and wasn't watching the Pressure guage..o make a long story short it blew and when it did all the glass and Salmon came out that small hole.. Went up and ruined the ceiling and the wall behind stove.. and it stunk to high heaven..We tore all the Dry Wall off and replaced everything..About 6 months later we could sit and laugh about it but his Wife still didn't think it was funny...

skidplate

« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2012, 10:34 PM »
Haha, I was thinking the same thing trap, if I can just get a few more tomorrow.  I don't like running the canner for all that time and not processing a full load.   I think if you do pickerel they will be really good and the heat will dissolve or at least soften the bones.  If not, search "ice shanty pickled pike".  There is a great thread with the recipie I have been using on there, but I did the one that you add wine to.  ;)
There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
 Ron Paul

pipeline

« Reply #28 on: Oct 15, 2012, 04:46 AM »
anyone  ever  try  to  can  our  salmon  ,  just  wondering  if  they  taste  like  store  bought  i  like  salmon  pattys  ??? ???
[my mother inlaw cans trout every year . the first time she gave me some in a jar i wasent eat that! then she made tuna casserole /was good as always then she told me it was trout. just didnt look to apealing in the jar!!  should be good!quote]

trapper2000

« Reply #29 on: Oct 15, 2012, 04:52 PM »
skidplate  i  catch  a  lot of  big  pickerel   on  big  bay  ...  so  i  listened  to   the  guys  anf  tossed  them  in  a  food  processer  and  ground  them  up   egg  and  italian  bread  crumbs  and  it   was  great!  i'll  try  canning  them  lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.