FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ballston Lake?  (Read 9985 times)

Gino@Rondout

Ballston Lake?
« on: Jun 24, 2015, 12:48 PM »
This weekend I'll be staying right down the road from Ballston Lake. I'll be shorebound, what is the fishing like off the public fishing dock? Any tips?
Thanks
Gino

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Ballston Lake?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2015, 01:45 PM »
it can be good, but sometimes crowded.   Your standard mix of senkos and topwaters would be a great choice.   

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Any tips for fishing here? I'll have my kayak, so I'll have some mobility. Looking for bass (LM or SM) or pike. Would put in on Outlet Rd st the state access. Thanks!

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Any tips for fishing here? I'll have my kayak, so I'll have some mobility. Looking for bass (LM or SM) or pike. Would put in on Outlet Rd st the state access. Thanks!

I wouldnt target pike, as you will waste a full day with no rewards.

Smallies are deeper right now, but early morning or late afternoon you can get them around the docks that are over deeper water. It will be a good ways for you to get there on a kayak. You wont get any smallies in the northern, launch end. They are in the middle area, but the bigger ones are in the southern narrows along the ledges and docks. Thats where the big largemouths are as well.

I get them 17-25' deep right now. Big largemouths and big smallies...believe it or not, they school together in that lake. Early morning in the first narrows along the weed edge and lily pads, you can get a good amount of near 4lb largemouths with a possible 5lber thrown in there on spinnerbaits parallel to the weeds and into the milfoil cuts.

There are some nice points, rock piles, sand bars, ledges, outer milfoil beds in the middle section. Cant tell you where, but they hold fish  ;)

Interesting fact...Ballston lake is 1 of 21 meromictic lakes in North America and it has Hundreds of Caves in it...it used to be part of the Mohawk river, and it was created by a meteor that carved the earth...Thats why most of the lake is Shale ledges.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2015, 07:04 AM »
Thanks for the info! I ended up taking the family out on the boat on Sacandaga, with no real results. I'm hoping to hit Ballston soon though. Is there another access site on the lake where I can drop in ny kayak, or just the north end? Thanks!

Zach

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Thanks for the info! I ended up taking the family out on the boat on Sacandaga, with no real results. I'm hoping to hit Ballston soon though. Is there another access site on the lake where I can drop in ny kayak, or just the north end? Thanks!

Zach

No other spots. Everything else is private.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Zach any day on the boat with the family is a great time...
I'm glad you are enjoying the camp and your summer...

Dom....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

venisonman

« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Can't you still pay to launch at the Good Times Restaurant? That would put him halfway to the narrows.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Snitchols

« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Can't you still pay to launch at the Good Times Restaurant? That would put him halfway to the narrows.

Yes you can but it is $10.00.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Zach any day on the boat with the family is a great time...
I'm glad you are enjoying the camp and your summer...

Dom....
Thanks Dom! Enjoying it for sure, although my fishing is likely coming to an end in 2 weeks. Wife is having baby #2 on July 21st. Time to get some fishing done while I can.  ;)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Wife is having baby #2 on July 21st. 

Congratulations to you and your wife...    :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

ghostchef44

« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2015, 10:41 AM »
Sorry but u can't fish ballston lake from one place u need to be Mobile . an Apparently I caught the biggest pike in the last 20 yrs a few yrs back.  over 4ft Lil Lil I love this place its Prolly the only lake around with a 12 lb bass . we caught 3 this yr between 8-10 lbs .. ID no how to post pics but if u I'm me ill email them.. Please please throw all ur bass back . it's a awesome place an we can't hurt this awesome Mystical lake

touge30

« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2015, 09:31 PM »
ghost i used to fish it alot i only caught one good largemouth didnt weigh it but it was 23 1/2 inches long.But i have caught numerous 4 lb smallies.Tried for three years to get a big pike caught one 40 inches ice fishing whites beach 1992. A LOT OF TIME FOR THAT FISH.It does not give up big ones easy.

ghostchef44

« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2015, 10:11 PM »
No joke I caught 4 an my buddy caught one .. People kill the good fish cause they think they have to .. I caught the 4.8 ft on in open water .. I am not bragging but I love to fish I cpr all of my fish .. I got a 9.1 lb walleye on south bay an we let it go . it all about respect. Catch an release . my 9 lb bass will be a record for NY in 3 yrs .. She will just get bigger ..

ghostchef44

« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2015, 10:15 PM »
I lost a pike on Ticonderoga that it's head wouldn't fit in a 10inch hole ice fishing in Feb . she came out like a lion an bit threw fireline 12 lb test .. Dam how do I post pics I have a Android phone no cpu

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.