FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any NY gar fishermen?  (Read 9949 times)

Joel Spring

Any NY gar fishermen?
« on: May 09, 2016, 07:38 AM »
I'm fascinated with toothy fish, like pike, and especially in dinosaur fish like bowfin (see my other thread) and gar.    I've caught lots of bowfin, but am interested in taking a trip to the 1000 islands to try and get some gar in my kayak.  I've never caught one.

Any tips or locations you'd care to share would be greatly appreciated.   I'm looking for relatively sheltered water, since it will be purely kayak fishing.   Thanks!

combsey going to catchem

Re: Any NY gar fishermen?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 08:32 AM »
Where are you located in ny

stratos122

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 10:11 AM »
Cross lake has always had a decent population of gar. I have caught a few in sodus bay as well too.

skinny40

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 11:45 AM »
I imagine sodus would be good on a kayak. But for bowfin AND gar in a kayak I would suggest oak orchard creek. Right near Sandy's marina where the creek splits. You could drift a with a minnow and bobber, and cast at the same time. If your having trouble hooking the gar use a piece of rope. YouTube gar fishing with cord or rope to see what I mean. The teeth get stuck in the rope and you wind em in. Not sure if it works for bowfin but it works great for gar there.

ericmic1

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:07 PM »
I have caught lots of Gar on rope flies.  It is fun as hell.

I would never fish for gar from my kayak though...How would you handle a fish with hundreds of needle sharp teeth inside your kayak?  Rope flies don't usually have hooks so in order to release the fish you need to control it so you can open its mouth and remove the fine strands of nylon or the fish will likely die of starvation.  Unless you have a good CR program and appropriate first aid gear with you it just seems risky,wasteful and irresponsible to me.

BUT...they are fun as hell to catch...

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 05:57 PM »
BLACK LAKE........... ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 04:22 AM »
I'm with eric on this , in the summer the power house in Oswego  has  hundreds of them .....cool to watch them
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

ryanrobb52

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 07:24 AM »
Butterfield lake in Redwood NY is full of them too and it's in the 1,000 islands region. Also plenty of Pike and Walleye there as well.

Good Luck!

Joel Spring

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 08:50 AM »

Joel Spring

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 08:51 AM »
I have caught lots of Gar on rope flies.  It is fun as hell.

I would never fish for gar from my kayak though...How would you handle a fish with hundreds of needle sharp teeth inside your kayak?  Rope flies don't usually have hooks so in order to release the fish you need to control it so you can open its mouth and remove the fine strands of nylon or the fish will likely die of starvation.  Unless you have a good CR program and appropriate first aid gear with you it just seems risky,wasteful and irresponsible to me.

BUT...they are fun as hell to catch...

Oh, you'd be amazed what you can do in a big fishing kayak.   Check out YouTube videos of guys landing sharks, groupers.   I've taken tons of pike and a big, nasty bowfin.   Not an issue, and I always get everything back in the water quickly.   Kayak fishing has come a long way.   It's not just fishing out of a kayak.   

Joel Spring

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 08:53 AM »
I imagine sodus would be good on a kayak. But for bowfin AND gar in a kayak I would suggest oak orchard creek. Right near Sandy's marina where the creek splits. You could drift a with a minnow and bobber, and cast at the same time. If your having trouble hooking the gar use a piece of rope. YouTube gar fishing with cord or rope to see what I mean. The teeth get stuck in the rope and you wind em in. Not sure if it works for bowfin but it works great for gar there.

I had no idea they were in Oak Orchard -- that's pretty close to home.   

ericmic1

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 12:22 PM »
There is a difference with removing a hook from a fishes mouth and removing the dozens of strands of nylomn rope that is entangled...takes time and Gar get upset when you touch them....also their teeth are readily accessible with the mouth is closed...and their scales are razer sharp too.

I fish bass and walleye in my kayak a lot, and I have watched people catch sharks and more...the difference is they are usually clubbing the fish dead before bringing it aboard or removing a single hook at the side of their boat.

Might just be me but no way in hell am I ever going to allow a GAR to sit in or around my lap while I try to release it.... :o :o :o

Joel Spring

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 07:19 AM »
There is a difference with removing a hook from a fishes mouth and removing the dozens of strands of nylomn rope that is entangled...takes time and Gar get upset when you touch them....also their teeth are readily accessible with the mouth is closed...and their scales are razer sharp too.

I fish bass and walleye in my kayak a lot, and I have watched people catch sharks and more...the difference is they are usually clubbing the fish dead before bringing it aboard or removing a single hook at the side of their boat.

Might just be me but no way in hell am I ever going to allow a GAR to sit in or around my lap while I try to release it.... :o :o :o

I'm not planning to use rope flies, as I'll also be targeting pike and bowfin.   And trust me, after having a 45" northern in the kayak last summer (released unharmed), I am not afraid of a gar.

Every bowfin I've landed has been pretty upset at being handled, too.    They get over it. 

devo

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Irondequoit Bay is loaded with them. They jump all over a jigging Rap worked quickly across the surface, they're a  blast to catch.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 12:33 PM »
bluefish in a  kayak cost  me  7 stitches and a  ruined  vacation ....  do what  you want  but  i'd never  try to  catch and release a gar in a  yak   also  get a  good  stainless fish grip to help control and  hold  them....good luck
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.