FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any NY gar fishermen?  (Read 9950 times)

Conundrum

Re: Any NY gar fishermen?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 07:54 PM »
No, we're not talking a Walmart kayak.   We're talking a full-sized, fully-outfitted 12' fishing kayak.   All of this is by way of getting more photos for a kayak-fishing book I have coming out in 2017.    Trust me, the kayak fishing community is huge, and growing and "catching fish from a kayak" isn't at all the same thing as full-blown kayak fishing.   If you don't know, you just have to trust me on this.    Trapper, I appreciate you worrying about my well-being, lol, but there's a whole big world of kayak fishing out there.    I encourage everyone to look into it (not just so I sell books).   It's a great way to access a lot of water that other boats can't navigate, yet the new kayaks are also plenty stable to be out on big water (Lake Ontario in my case) as well.    Here's my last toothy critter in my fishing kayak.   No blood.   No lost fingers.  lol. 

I enjoy going after the predators too.  Northerns, pickerel, well bass too, and I find bowfin a very interesting fish.  Don't fish for them though. They are not in my common fishing spots.   I haven't a gar in years.  Do New York gars have any size to them? 

greensider

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 08:14 PM »
i have measured them as big as 52 inches but have seen much bigger even weighed one heavier than the state record she was dumping eggs all over so i released her

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52 PM »
I agree with trapper. I have caught many long nose gar in lower Champlain (Ticonderoga) while bass fishing, and even in my 20' bass boat, you can not stumble or make a mistake with those things. I remember the first one I accidently caught was on a jerkbait....man did the scales on that thing cut my arms up. They are fun for sure but need to be handled with extreme caution....and putting one between my legs in a kayak....yeah, no thanks.

fishermantim4

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 05:43 AM »
Chatauqua is loaded with gar
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

Joel Spring

« Reply #34 on: Jun 04, 2016, 06:48 AM »
Success, after 2 trips.   All fingers intact!   Lots of fun in a kayak.   

greensider

« Reply #35 on: Jun 05, 2016, 04:57 AM »
great job now go get one of those 60 inchers lol i will be up there next weekend looking for some dinasour fish

scout57

« Reply #36 on: Jun 05, 2016, 05:41 AM »
actually saw one the other day in oneida lake.....surprised me

Gil_lunkage

« Reply #37 on: Jun 05, 2016, 08:59 AM »
I've seen hundreds in Cayuga too, lost a good hat once when I hooked one from silver bridge. I miss that hat!!

Joel Spring

« Reply #38 on: Jun 05, 2016, 03:12 PM »
I agree with trapper. I have caught many long nose gar in lower Champlain (Ticonderoga) while bass fishing, and even in my 20' bass boat, you can not stumble or make a mistake with those things. I remember the first one I accidently caught was on a jerkbait....man did the scales on that thing cut my arms up. They are fun for sure but need to be handled with extreme caution....and putting one between my legs in a kayak....yeah, no thanks.

I was hoping SSmokinn or Trapper would have replied and congratulated me on managing this in a kayak....haha.    That's ok.   I'm heading out again tomorrow with some new & improved flies (fished Texas-rigged).    And, for the record, here's a shot of him officially "between my legs".   Honestly, I found the gar (when grabbed by the beak) to be more docile than most bowfin I've handled.  Of course, when released, he did jump BACK in the kayak, which was a hoot...but all in all, uneventful.   

Fish Farmer

« Reply #39 on: Jun 06, 2016, 06:32 AM »
Awesome!

Could you post a photo of what you are using for a lure/fly? I mainly have been targeting them with rope flies, but have seen many caught with spinning gear.

I have yet to land one myself, but had a lot of fun searching for them the past couple of springs on spawning migrations.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #40 on: Jun 06, 2016, 06:39 AM »
.  The little guy catching gar on the fly rod..he landed it to.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #41 on: Jun 06, 2016, 06:44 AM »
that is a real  GREAT photo,thanks for sharing
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

big_guy_13021

« Reply #42 on: Jun 06, 2016, 06:50 AM »
Thanks rat I mite have another photo closer up of the gar on his line I'll look..if I do I will post it

big_guy_13021

« Reply #43 on: Jun 06, 2016, 06:52 AM »
.that's a closer photo of the gar.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #44 on: Jun 06, 2016, 08:12 AM »
I know he had one BIG smile ,fishing and kids that is what it is all about
that is a great photo thanks for sharing
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT