FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: early Autumn Landlocks  (Read 3911 times)

taxid

Re: early Autumn Landlocks
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2019, 08:17 PM »
That river is very tannic. Here’s the only one I’ve ever caught from there, not the brown trout look at all

While in the outlet of the same lake, where I believe mostly the stocked fish go, the water is gin clear and they look more like browns.

Thanks for sharing. Cool pictures!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: early Autumn Landlocks
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2019, 08:19 PM »
nope you are correct, the top fish is a male, bottom fish is a female.  I only know it's a male because it had a small kype (can't see it in that picture though because it's mouth is closed).  Males also typically get darker colored then the females (hence the black-ish fins)

both salmon are wild/native.  The salmon here have a very broad range of color variations.  I think the color pattern variations depend on age class/maturity, how long they've been in the river, and life history/origin.  Probably other environmental factors at play too.

Thanks for responding. Sounds right to me!

I wish my state would allow me to raise salmon. They would be a cool fish to produce in trophy sizes!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.