FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2 hour fishing trip  (Read 1894 times)

rivereddy

2 hour fishing trip
« on: Jun 10, 2020, 09:11 AM »
June 09, 2020

A cancellation in the schedule gave me a short window of time so I grabbed a small box of tackle,
light spinning rod and ran over to the local.  Hoping for some of that June surface action, I began
with a Zara Puppy and, other than a crazed goggleeye about half its size, drew a blank.  I hiked
on down to a deeper pool and tied on a 3.5 " swimbait & 1/8 oz jig.  I was rewarded with a nice
smallie that tail walked and spit small minnows before coming to hand.  15 minutes of tossing the
swimbait bought no more fish so I switched to a small crappie plastic bait about the size of the
minnows my first smallie spit out.  For the next 15 minutes I ran it up on several 11 - 13" bass.
Not large fish, true,  but they hit hard and gave good account of themselves.

fish on,

rivereddy

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: 2 hour fishing trip
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2020, 09:38 AM »
Sounds like a great day, nice work!

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Size isn't always what makes the trip. The chase and challenge and knowing you figured it out. Good job.

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2020, 03:20 PM »
Size isn't always what makes the trip. The chase and challenge and knowing you figured it out. Good job.
Absolutely agree , figuring out the bite

Unclegillhunter

• Green grass and high times forever!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2020, 06:35 AM »
Absolutely agree , figuring out the bite
Yep if the fish are hitting don't matter too much haw big they are.
Keep it safe! JDL
Keep it safe! JDL

rivereddy

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2020, 06:43 AM »
Had a little more time yesterday so I took the canoe and the missus over to the local to
see if the smallies were still active. We paddled and fished about a 2 mile stretch of river.
Each of us had two set ups,  A ML rig with a swimbait or plug, and an UL with a small
jig like I used the other day.  We got into fish right away -  a big gill on the first cast.
That was the last pannie we caught.  Smallmouth were on a binge and each time we
found "boulder gardens" with a little shade we connected.  At one point I hooked up, and,
as my fish swam by the canoe, 3 others chased it.  I didn't have to tell my wife what to do.
I led my fish along side the boat and she dropped her bait down and  we had ourselves a
double of 15 " fish.  A great day for both numbers and size.  I forgot to mention that all
of these fish came on the ultralights using 4# test line and pinched barbs. The big fish of the
day was a rather large channel that managed to snag itself on by the pectoral fin.  It took
about 5 minutes to bring the brute alongside.  Between the current, paddling, holding the rod
and the fact that I couldn't get my hand around the fish I could only pin it alongside of the
canoe long enough to try to get my jig back. Unfortunately, this put the line against the
pectoral spine which made short work of the 4#.  Yup, the big one got away - and I was
relieved...

fish on, Oh yez, fish off

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.