FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: red ears  (Read 1452 times)

abishop

red ears
« on: Jun 13, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Caught some nice red ears this morning. All were females with eggs a plenty. Do red ears spawn a bit sooner than bluegills? I know every lake is a bit different, but, in general do they spawn a little sooner?????? Or are they the same, bluegills???????

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
Re: red ears
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2020, 07:16 PM »
I typically see them dancing around the same time as gills which is right now on the lakes I hit in K County area. Unfortunately most people are finding it an easy meal and picking the beds clean. I don't ever keep fish, just enjoy catching them.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2020, 08:22 AM »
I have found they  usually spawn  a couple weeks ahead of  gills. If you look it up, the "experts" say this is true but I think it depends a lot on weather and temperature of the water.
Teach

Caught these males a couple years ago on Pine on beds. Couple were 11”.
Teach

Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

abishop

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2020, 11:07 AM »
I have found they  usually spawn  a couple weeks ahead of  gills. If you look it up, the "experts" say this is true but I think it depends a lot on weather and temperature of the water.
Teach
That is kind of what I was thinking also.

indianahooker

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2020, 04:54 PM »
I got 2 red ears yesterday.  was out in the sun too long. :laugh:

lot of guys I know say redears aren't fit to eat. I eat them tho.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2020, 07:28 PM »

I eat the redears i catch while gill fishing. I can deffinetly tell the difference in taste between the two species though. No doubt.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

gilldan

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2020, 08:21 PM »
I think they are a couple weeks behind this year with those couple of cold spells in May.  Buddies got couple doz. last Fri. all females with eggs.  I normally get them after Mothers Day when we have a good weather pattern.  Another buddy got some crappie last Thurs. that still were full of eggs.  I was getting some males this afternoon that were just spawning.  They went back.  Just been a weird year.

charlys1954

« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2020, 12:24 AM »

I don't get many only 1 so far this year. If its a big one its like any older fish they're not that good to me but gr8t fun to catch. I like the smaller younger ones they taste better. Caught a big one last year about 11" and I don't know why but it smelt like it lived in the sewer, tossed it back to big and it stunk.
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.