FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Michigan Perch today... and popsicles...  (Read 4378 times)

Spooled85

Re: Lake Michigan Perch today... and popsicles...
« Reply #15 on: Jul 02, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Thanks fellas , good luck AL I heard it really allowed down . Couples buddies out all day yesterday and did horrible

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #16 on: Jul 09, 2020, 03:30 PM »
Got a fantastic limit of perch today.Biggest just over 14witj the rest 13 to as short as 10😁😁😁

Spooled85

« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 2020, 04:13 PM »
Wtg percheyes !! Enjoy that meal

redjones

« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2020, 04:22 PM »
Well done,wanted to give New Buffalo a try this morning but couldn't find anyone with a MI. license.
Been hearing lots of different reports the last couple of days,some guys spanking big fish and other guys not doing so well with both numbers and size.

Greg

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Yea I was popping the bigger perch while two boats just west of where I was were getting next to none and all small.The perch gods were good to me today.Now the weather is going to turn the bite sour.North to northwest winds and 1-3 footers all weekend BOOOOOO😡😡

abishop

« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2020, 07:57 PM »
I will b going early. Hope to beat the waves.

Spooled85

« Reply #21 on: Jul 09, 2020, 08:28 PM »
1 to 3 footers won't hurt them at all. 5 plus would push them deeper . Jsut hope we don't get a bunch of lightning that relay messes them up when the are shallow

Spencerville

« Reply #22 on: Jul 10, 2020, 06:56 AM »
How far out do the perch go when they arent in shallow? Any of you guys ever chase them when they are our further?

Spooled85

« Reply #23 on: Jul 10, 2020, 07:34 AM »
50 + fow. It's a pain to get the rigs down to the bottom and feel a bite unless they really pound it. And everyone you bring up that deep has there are bladder sticking out their mouth so you have to keep all of them or you're wasting fish me personally I don't mess with them beyond 30 foot of water

Mac Attack

« Reply #24 on: Jul 10, 2020, 07:51 AM »
50 + fow. It's a pain to get the rigs down to the bottom and feel a bite unless they really pound it. And everyone you bring up that deep has there are bladder sticking out their mouth so you have to keep all of them or you're wasting fish me personally I don't mess with them beyond 30 foot of water

SOP here on Erie.
Pretty much always deeper than 60' and sometimes as much as 80'.
(Except in the late Fall and/early spring)
Go to braid if you haven't already.
As for the bladders, not much you can do except keep all of them.
I don't agree with "fizzing" and won't do it.
The bladders are the main reason I don't C&R perch - a shame because my wife and I love fishing for them occasionally between the walleye outings.

abishop

« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2020, 01:26 PM »
I did some perch fizzing experiments several years ago.  caught fizzed and put in fish tank.  couple died in first 24hr 2 more lasted 2 days and the rest lived.  I fizzed them threw belly.  now I see people are fizzing them threw the mouth.  maybe the new way is better?

not a fizzing fan either.
Please explain this fizzing. I have never heard of this before.

rivereddy

« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2020, 03:16 PM »
When one goes driving in the mountains or flies in a plane one's ears tend to "pop" with changes in altitude. This is the result of the
body's having to adjust to the even moderate changes in air pressure.  By the same token when one dives deep into the water the body must
adjust to the massive pressure changes brought on by the increased depth. Scuba divers have to account for this when they resurface from
 even moderate depths. They must rise part way to they surface then stop and let their body adjust to the decrease in pressure for a while, then rise a bit more and stop again to decompress.  If they come up too fast, dissolved gasses in their blood stream come out of solution and form microbubbles in the vessels result in "the Bends" which can be lethal.

A Perch 30 feet down has its body adjusted to the pressure at that depth.  When caught and brought to the surface quickly, the rapid change in
pressure causes dissolved gases in the fish to come out of solution and form large bubbles that cause the swim bladder to swell so greatly that
other organs get displaced.  Pressure may cause the eyes to bulge, the stomach to push out the mouth and the intestines blow out of the anus.
 Fish experienceing such "baroshock",,as Infisherman Magazine calles it, seldom survive.  If released they helplessly float on the surface unable to
return to the depths  they were taken from.

Fizzing is an attempt to relieve the massive gas build up in a fish by using a hollow tube, usually a hypodermic type needle to stick into the fish and its swimbladder to allow these built up gasses to escape - to depressurize if you will.  In theory once the built up but now decompressed gas is release the fish should be able to return to the depths. What sounds good "in theory" however doesn't appear to work too well in practice.

fish on,

rivereddy

filetandrelease

« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2020, 03:17 PM »

Lot of UTubes for different fish
 Some biologists like the practice and others don’t , the bass circuit does it and fizzing bass is different than let’s say walleye
 Another way to decompress is to put fish in live well and a weight to anal fin and pectoral and wait

http:// https://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/fizzing-fish-step-step-how

rivereddy

« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2020, 03:23 PM »
A tad more... Some fish species tolerate baroshock better than others. Lake trout can "cough" and expel built up gas thus avoiding
organ blow out when brought up from truly deep water and, when released, head right back down.  We have had yellow perch show
signs of shock when caught in only 20 feet of water...

fish on,

rivereddy

filetandrelease

« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2020, 03:37 PM »
 That’s True Eddie they say 25’ and greater , it can happen in 20’
 Lake trout have the ability to adjust their swim bladder , Your graph will pick up the belch many times or you will see them stop for a few seconds then continue to chase your bait or not 😉

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.