FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Another good day on the river  (Read 961 times)

bigr

Another good day on the river
« on: Jun 04, 2020, 06:29 AM »
This has been a year I won't forget for Crappie. I've always caught crappie on the Wabash in the spring but I have never caught the size or number of fish I've seen this year or for so long. Conditions got right for a little wade fishing at the mouth of the Sally and Wabash for walleye. After fishing for an hr or so without any luck I was very disappointed. I switched over to a jig and bobber and started working a slack area expecting to catch a few late season small crappie just to get the monkey off my back. First cast produce a nice 12 incher but I had no intent of keeping any so I let it go. Next cast had the same result except fish was about an inch bigger. It's against my nature to throw such nice crappie back but I told myself this was just a fluke so released the second fish with the thinking if I caught anymore that size I would keep a few for supper. The next hr or so yielded maybe 40 to 50 more fish, nearly ever cast. By the end of my outing I had 8 crappie on the stringer ranging in size 13 to 15 inches. Females still full of eggs and males turning dark. I'm tired of catching crappie but whenever I can get fish of this size I have to make a few more cast. I'll be floating river in the morning or Saturday for a serious try for the eyes and will pop a bobber along the way in the slack areas. I'm going to force myself to keep nothing under 14 inches. I can say this today but after I lip that first fish my size and number of fish might change.   

RoeBoat

Re: Another good day on the river
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Great trip!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.