FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Don't waste your green tomatos (pickled)  (Read 2386 times)

fishryc

Don't waste your green tomatos (pickled)
« on: Oct 13, 2006, 11:59 AM »
I usually pick and wrap my end of the season green tomato's in paper and let them ripen indoors. Well, last Wednesday, I was feeling especially ambitious after work and made something that my Dad had done every year while I was growing up, and that I have not done in many, many years: sliced and pickled them.
 Not dill pickled, but sweet pickled as in bread and butter crispies or gherkin pickles. I love both dill and sweet, but eat much more sweet; especially great with a hot sandwich such as grilled ham & Swiss on rye.
 Anyway, you salt and press them, boil shortly with alum and water, pack them in oven sterilized at 250 degrees jars, and then pack them with boiling brine made with cider vinegar, water, brown sugar, allspice, mustard seed, Cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and a cheesecloth sack of pickling spice that is removed.
 Great stuff-  I use the recipe that my Dad had in a coil spring note pad that I inherited upon his passing many years ago.
 There are recipes on line and I very highly recommend that anyone whom likes sweet pickles and is a gardener try some out.

S
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.