FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Turtle lake  (Read 4312 times)

lnjr

Turtle lake
« on: Jun 10, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Anyone been fishing there lately ?

Whytie

Re: Turtle lake
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2014, 02:04 PM »
slow >:( water is still cold and the fish are biting light. plus with all the rain the water is pretty murky.

RoughRiderRowdy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I just got back from fishing turtle from july 2-7. What a slow week of fishing! Only managed 3 small walleyes in the 1.5-2 pound range. I was using a yellow jighead with a nightcrawler for bait and was just drifting slowly with the presentation on the bottom. Bites were very light, thought i was snagged. I tried everywhere from Indian point to bareass beach, to the yellow rock, to the south end drop off, to over across the lake to parkland.

Last year a guy could fish anywhere on the lake it seemed and catch a limit of walleye, at any time of the summer. My guess so far this year is that we had such a cold start of spring/summer and that has brought everything back about two and a half weeks. I think the bite will start to pick up middle of july, coming up soon here. Once more weeds start to grow as well.

I will update when i go fishing again or what my relatives catch while they are up there

-Tight lines

kenh

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2014, 12:27 PM »
With the bite the way it has been in the past few years I have to wonder how long that can keep up with all the fish that people keep.

RoughRiderRowdy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2014, 02:08 PM »
This is a good point you make ken. The bite the past couple summers at turtle lake has been exceptional, i think more people who fish need to be aware of how many fish they keep and what ones to throw back.

-A prime example of this was when i catch 7-25 lb jack fish in the winter at turtle. When i tell people and show people pictures of these big pike they ask "how did it taste?", i simply reply by telling them that A) those big fish dont taste the best, B) those fish are the ones that produce the little pike we catch today and they are the spawner fish and C) that i release all those fish.

-The reaction i usually get is "WHY WOULD YOU THROW BACK A FISH THAT BIG?!" , the point im making is that alot of people have no idea how to sustain a fishery. anything over 5 pounds i immediately release, but a big part of that is because i know WHY i need to throw them back from the above mentioned reasons.

-I do think Turtle is still trending upwards and will continue that way. the fishing is going to start getting hot here in the next couple of weeks

Whytie

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2014, 11:29 AM »
we have 3 pounder rule if the walleye is heavier than 3 lbs it goes back. I do this for most lakes i fish. I just snap a quick picture of the 3 plus fish and send them on their way. Only times I keep a larger fish is its been fouled hooked or bleeding alot from the gills.

RoughRiderRowdy

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2014, 03:01 PM »
we have 3 pounder rule if the walleye is heavier than 3 lbs it goes back. I do this for most lakes i fish. I just snap a quick picture of the 3 plus fish and send them on their way. Only times I keep a larger fish is its been fouled hooked or bleeding alot from the gills.

Have you heard how the fishing is there lately ?

Whytie

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2014, 09:28 AM »
mixed reviews but I'll find out myself if I can make it out there this weekend.

lnjr

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2014, 08:21 AM »
I was planning on going out this morning but raining and windy at the moment. Hopefully clears up later. I had good success earlier this month at the north end. Released some nice walleyes and kept a couple smaller ones to eat. I will give a report once I get out this weekend.

RoughRiderRowdy

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Aright ladies and gentlemen, i got some turtle lake fishing reports for july 20-22

-Fished kopps cove sunday evening for two hours my friend i was fishing with caught one small walleye

-Fished southend drop off didnt get a single bite, was using jighead and leech

-Fished parkland monday evening for 2 hours and managed to catch one small walleye on beefheart

-My uncles friends wife caught a 12.5 pound walleye out in front of sunset view drifting in 18 feet of water and using beefheart. Biggest walleye ive seen come out of turtle lake. She snapped a couple pictures and released it. Said it fought like a big jack and the head on the fish was scary big! I got pictures of the fish she landed and will try to post it when i can.

lnjr

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Just got in from fishing and it is slow. Was at keeley last week and the walleye fishing was awesome.

lnjr

« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Was out again his morning. Got a 15lb pike. That was it not even another bite.  She was released .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.