FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Did somebody say cobia?  (Read 876 times)

scooper47

Did somebody say cobia?
« on: Aug 23, 2022, 07:09 AM »

Mac Attack

Re: Did somebody say cobia?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2022, 08:10 AM »
Crazy how cobia are now being caught with regularity that far north these days.
Climate change they say.
Sweet fish for sure.
I'm sure it faught like crazy.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2022, 08:48 AM »
I know guys who have been catching cobia for decades.  They just kept quiet about it, now everyone goes to social media so you are hearing about them more. No surprise media metions climate change...Water temps over 70 or large filaments of warmer water off the gulf stream and cobia come in.  The one that dude caught was on long sand shoal near the mouth of the CT river which is a bit odd. 

Noaa notes their sesonal migration along the atlantic coast here:
https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/cobia

Whats funny to me is how the media presents these fish as being here becaise of climate change...when the ASMFC has had a commercial quota for them (50k pounds a year) specifically for cobia in the atlantic....anyways interesting fish with a long history of being on the east coast.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2022, 03:39 PM »
Yeah they have been caught in RI and CT for years. I've never caught one nor have I researched to find where to target or what they eat. Ill get there one day but the palegics have me learning new things this season. Its the trips I come home with nothing that make me go back.
Wicked Wec

mcully

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2022, 06:48 AM »
Fishing Stellwagen couple summers ago for giants we had a run off. Locked it down and a white marlin comes flying up right behind the boat. Threw the circle hook but was def a white and the 2 guys with me both lifetime Cape commercial salt guys had never seen that. Really wished it had stayed locked up but man did it get air and is etched in my mind.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2022, 08:01 AM »
Thats a great memory for sure!  Speaking off weird ocean catches I wonder if anyone will catch a drum this year in RI.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.