FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vintage fishing reels  (Read 3092 times)

fishinator

Vintage fishing reels
« on: May 19, 2023, 04:44 PM »

Anyone collect old reels? I picked these up at a yard sale for ten bucks.  Haven't done much research on them yet. The bottom one appears to be the oldest. It's a 1904 tripart. No gears,  just 1 to 1 and no level wind either.  Others are more common pflugers and shakespeares. Couple had metal rods but unfortunately they are in terrible shape. Going to clean them up and display them in the garage somewhere.

rivereddy

Re: Vintage fishing reels
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 05:09 PM »
On my "Go To" ultralight spinning rod is taped a 1972
Abu Garcia Cardinal 3 made for Zebco. Smooth as
silk. About the same time as I bought the Cardinal,
I built a rod for my father who seldom fished.  I bought
a Mitchell 300 for it. It was rarely used.  I still have it and
it sits in its original box.  I"ve also got a shoe box bull of
old Pfleuger and Shakespeare knuckle busters...

fish on,

rivereddy

myemmy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 06:07 PM »
Nice find, I have a small collection of old reels and a couple rods not much value but nice show pieces.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 09:22 PM »

Anyone collect old reels? I picked these up at a yard sale for ten bucks.  Haven't done much research on them yet. The bottom one appears to be the oldest. It's a 1904 tripart. No gears,  just 1 to 1 and no level wind either.  Others are more common pflugers and shakespeares. Couple had metal rods but unfortunately they are in terrible shape. Going to clean them up and display them in the garage somewhere.

Wow I bet those reels could tell some stories!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

iceman260

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 05:41 AM »
Nice find fishinator, I have a box full of old reels that people gave me. The ones i cherish were my grand fathers and my fathers they are mounted on old steel fishing rods.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 07:02 AM »
Nice find fishinator, I have a box full of old reels that people gave me. The ones i cherish were my grand fathers and my fathers they are mounted on old steel fishing rods.

When I was a kid my dad bought some of those steel rods at a garage sale. I hated those things as it was all I had until I got enough baby sitting money together to buy a more modern rod!  :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 07:24 AM »
When I was a kid my dad bought some of those steel rods at a garage sale. I hated those things as it was all I had until I got enough baby sitting money together to buy a more modern rod!  :rotflol:

fiberglass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 07:50 AM »
I’ve collected a few over the years.

There’s a few more. Most of the South Bend reels have their original box, paperwork and red vinyl case.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rivereddy

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 07:52 AM »
When I first began teaching, I was single and relatively debt free.  This allowed me to make most of
my fishing tackle from components.  I turned handles from portugese cork rings, used Fuji or Hardloy guides and,
of course, the blanks were honey colored Fenwicks. Top of the line stuff....I'd probably have a good
$40 invested in a spinning rod.  Rather than having all of he flex (action) at the tip of the rod, they had a
more parabolic flex. True, they were heavier than those new fangled graphite blanks, but they had a smooth
action that made them a joy to cast. To this day I still use some of them for trolling and tossing cranks.

Fish on,

rivereddy

myemmy

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 08:10 AM »
I have old spinning reel manufactured by the Lionel Company pretty neat ! Also I think that most fishers have an ocean city fly reel in their possession.

myemmy

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 08:48 AM »
Some of the better reels such as pfluger supremes ,summits ,akrons were pretty pricey for the working man in the era, rods also.

fishinator

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2023, 10:15 AM »
I'm actually surprised at how little these are worth, not that I planned on selling them anyway.  From what little research I have done the more valuable reels are from smaller companies.  The only one that I bought that has any value is a 1904 meisselbach tripart 580. It was made by a small company in New Jersey that later moved to Ohio and eventually went out of business in 1941. And it's not really that valuable , I found them going for $50 to $100 on fleabay.

myemmy

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2023, 11:59 AM »
I also can’t believe how little some of these vintage reels are worth,I gave a few to friends for there man cave, they are still neat to me😃

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2023, 04:54 PM »

fiberglass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup. I'm not usually sentimental but I had one fiberglass pole I bought with baby sitting money that I used so much as a kid I retired it as the metal guides had grooves in them from the fishing line. I could have replaced the guides but I hung it on the wall. When I was off to college my dad loaned it to a loser ex brother-in-law who promptly slammed it in a car door. I say he was a loser as he was a wife beater among other things. The sister that married him is now on her fifth marriage.

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2023, 05:48 PM »
I have a 7’ glass spinning rod I still use today.  It’s about 42-44 yrs old.
I put new guides on it a few years back.
I have caught a ton of fish with that thing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.