FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat rentals on the Q next year?  (Read 6252 times)

taxid

Boat rentals on the Q next year?
« on: Nov 12, 2020, 12:58 PM »
What'd think? Will there be boat rentals on the Q next year?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Ryan51993

Re: Boat rentals on the Q next year?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2020, 04:05 PM »
I have no idea but I sure hope so. I know a lot of boat owners would like to see the program done away with completely but contrary to what they say there is plenty of space and fish for all. As someone in my 20s trying to get established in life a boat isn't in the cards any time soon and being able to rent one a couple times a year is awesome. Also, must be nice to have a state job like the boat launch workers where you barely do anything and still get paid during the pandemic. If I have to work every single day interacting with hundreds of people and getting no hazard pay I think they can get off their asses and wipe a boat down with Lysol wipes once in a while, or don't even wipe it down and tell people to bring their own wipes. Especially since theres usually 3-4 of them there chit chatting all day. /end rant.

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2020, 04:11 PM »
I think it will come down to where we are in terms of the pandemic. I also think that most boat owners understand the importance of the rentals and how it helps to keep it open to all of us. That said, you will always find some that think they are the only ones that should get to use this AWESOME resource...

scooper47

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2020, 07:31 AM »
I have no idea but I sure hope so. I know a lot of boat owners would like to see the program done away with completely but contrary to what they say there is plenty of space and fish for all. As someone in my 20s trying to get established in life a boat isn't in the cards any time soon and being able to rent one a couple times a year is awesome. Also, must be nice to have a state job like the boat launch workers where you barely do anything and still get paid during the pandemic. If I have to work every single day interacting with hundreds of people and getting no hazard pay I think they can get off their asses and wipe a boat down with Lysol wipes once in a while, or don't even wipe it down and tell people to bring their own wipes. Especially since theres usually 3-4 of them there chit chatting all day. /end rant.

I've posted this before: sunlight kills the coronavirus in less than an hour. Plus, how many places on a boat do people touch: tiller, starter cord handle, primer bulb?

CMD1987

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2020, 12:16 PM »
I heard they had new rental boats arriving for next season? Could be wrong, it was hearsay. If so, they definitely plan on renting at some point again. I hope it is in the spring - I have to agree that those guys that check people in should either work or be fired and replaced. Plenty of people back at work now.

Steve H.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2020, 01:36 PM »
I saw an earlier post where someone said they saw new boats had been delivered.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2020, 02:03 PM »
I was at gate 8 the last day it was open this year and there were new rental boats stacked up upside down.  Nice welded aluminum hulls.  Same size as before.  I can't imagine they would have spent the money to not use them.

I think the issue you may face Cecil is if Mass/quabbin lets an out of state person in. Time will tell.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2020, 09:40 AM »
I was at gate 8 the last day it was open this year and there were new rental boats stacked up upside down.  Nice welded aluminum hulls.  Same size as before.  I can't imagine they would have spent the money to not use them.

I think the issue you may face Cecil is if Mass/quabbin lets an out of state person in. Time will tell.

Very true. I know I would be leery of letting in out of staters with the virus especially from states being hard hit.  And the virus in my state is going bonkers with people still refusing to follow guidelines contributing to the increase. The local RV industry is being hit really hard with 3 X the national rate.

And if gets as bad as projected this winter we will probably see stricter measures.  Not sure about Mass, but I know as of now Maine will let me in but I have to either quarantine for 14 days or get a negative test within 72 hours to stay at a VRBO.  Unless we can get the vaccinations on line by the second quarter I'm thinking I may be staying home again this summer.

Btw are the boats Starcraft? I know the older ones there are. If so they are made just down the road from me about 20 minutes away. At least they used to be.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2020, 12:06 PM »
No idea on what make they were aside from knowing they were not starcrafts. 

Baitbucket

« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2020, 05:00 PM »
Also, must be nice to have a state job like the boat launch workers where you barely do anything and still get paid during the pandemic. If I have to work every single day interacting with hundreds of people and getting no hazard pay I think they can get off their asses and wipe a boat down with Lysol wipes once in a while, or don't even wipe it down and tell people to bring their own wipes. Especially since theres usually 3-4 of them there chit chatting all day. /end rant.

I dont know you personally, but you really should refrain from commenting on things you Clearly know nothing about.

As a Quabbin boat owner, I know most attendants personally and i see how much work they do. They bust their asses every day for a wage that most "kids" these days wouldnt put down the xbox controller for. A majority of people who rent boats are absolute SLOBS!! Ive seen the attendants go out there and clean out vomit, piss, cigarette butts, spat out sunflower seed shells, cans, cups, chewing tabacco, bottles of urine, etc..

Not to mention they have to take money, forms, id's, and licenses for alot of renters to. All of which involve Direct contact, increasing their chances of getting covid.

Most of them are older and the impacts of contracting covid could be life threatening to them or their wives/loved ones. To ask them to knowingly endanger themselves or their loved ones SO YOU CAN FISH is an absolute selfish and shortsighted request.

And before you make another uneducated comment about the people who own quabbin boats. There is Zero contact between the owner and the attendant. We all wear masks, i hold up my card and they scan it, they take my tag off my boat (no i dont touch/lick my tag), and im on my way.

As for the rentals, i have no doubt they will be back next year.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2020, 05:38 PM »
delete

CMD1987

« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2020, 05:47 PM »
I dont know you personally, but you really should refrain from commenting on things you Clearly know nothing about.

As a Quabbin boat owner, I know most attendants personally and i see how much work they do. They bust their asses every day for a wage that most "kids" these days wouldnt put down the xbox controller for. A majority of people who rent boats are absolute SLOBS!! Ive seen the attendants go out there and clean out vomit, piss, cigarette butts, spat out sunflower seed shells, cans, cups, chewing tabacco, bottles of urine, etc..

Not to mention they have to take money, forms, id's, and licenses for alot of renters to. All of which involve Direct contact, increasing their chances of getting covid.

Most of them are older and the impacts of contracting covid could be life threatening to them or their wives/loved ones. To ask them to knowingly endanger themselves or their loved ones SO YOU CAN FISH is an absolute selfish and shortsighted request.

And before you make another uneducated comment about the people who own quabbin boats. There is Zero contact between the owner and the attendant. We all wear masks, i hold up my card and they scan it, they take my tag off my boat (no i dont touch/lick my tag), and im on my way.

Then replace them with someone willing to do the job. People are back at work and they should be too.

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2020, 06:22 PM »
What does the attendants being state employee's have to do with anything?  They are decent people earning a wage like a lot of other people.  In 15 years we only had one issue when one attendant missed the eye on the bow putting the tag on and then gave us crap when we returned.  Other than that they're cool. 

While I appreciate them I am not as overt as Will...we all risk our lives driving to work.  3 fridays ago I almost did....covid or not, everyone risks their arse to work and that's a choice those attendants and many of us make every day...

Anyways...rental boats yes...I think that's what we were talking about...

Baitbucket

« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2020, 06:26 AM »
Then replace them with someone willing to do the job. People are back at work and they should be too.

They were back at work, with changes and restrictions. Just like every other company on the face of the planet.

While I appreciate them I am not as overt as Will...we all risk our lives driving to work.  3 fridays ago I almost did....covid or not, everyone risks their arse to work and that's a choice those attendants and many of us make every day...

While I agree there is a degree of risk driving to work (38,000 people died in a car crash last year). If something were to happen to me, that car accident doesn't show up at my house and run over my wife, kids, parents, and grandparents.

Sometimes i think people cant see outside their own job, town, state, or country and forget there is an entire planet of people following similar guidelines trying to curb this pandemic. 88% of companies world wide have mandated work from home and non essential employee policies.

To think guys who rent boats to hobbyists shouldn't be afforded some sort of protection is mind boggling.

Ryan51993

« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2020, 06:51 AM »

I work 10x harder than they do and I interact with tremendously more people then they do on a daily basis. I also drive about 250 miles a day and have to go inside peoples homes who refuse to wear masks constantly, so my job is more dangerous in every sense of the word. I'm working 6 days a week and upwards of 60 hours right now. I never got any kind of a break, never got any kind of hazard pay. You're out of your god d**n mind if you think their job is more difficult and dangerous than everyone else's. I stand by what I said, they have the benefit of working for the state where they can get paid to do absolutely nothing because the money will keep coming from the taxpayers no matter what. They should WORK like the rest of us or not get paid. PERIOD.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.