FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: jerkbait rod  (Read 1676 times)

rshorter

jerkbait rod
« on: Dec 25, 2020, 01:39 PM »
All: My 15 year old son is looking for a jerkbait rod. He asked me for one that is $250 (shimano). Can any of you tell me of a good jerkbait rod that is less than $250?

Thanks.  Bob

Steve H.

Re: jerkbait rod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2020, 11:32 AM »
For Shimano, I like the Clarus ($80) or the Curado ($160).  I don't think you need to spend $250 to get a quality rod. 

Not sure if he's looking for a spinning rod or a baitcasting rod, but either one in a 7' Medium Heavy action should fish well with a jerkbait.  That's what I use anyway and really enjoy it. 

St. Croix makes nice rods at this price point also.  Might want to look into those.

Somewhat hard to find these days though.  Maybe will be better in the spring.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

slipperybob

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Shimano Curado should be a great rod.  The Shimano Zodias is quite an awesome rod at $200 retail. 

I've always been a St. Croix fan and it started with my first Premiere rod at around $100.  An Avid at around $200 and the Legend at around $300.

Phenix Rods is another good choice to look at.  Their M1 rods are very good at under $200. 

Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2021, 03:03 AM »
Check out FX Custom rods as well. Top of the line.
Wicked Wec

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2021, 05:06 PM »
You seem to be focusing on brand names and not what type of rod should he use.

Depending on his size and strength, you can't go wrong it a 6 - 6.5' medium to medium/heavy rod with a fast action.
Since he will be jerking the bait through the water, you want a rod that will transmit more of the action to the line/lure and not get lost in a soft rod action.

Go to a local tackle shop and try a few of the rods out to see what their actions feel like without any load. That will give you an idea of what to expect with a lure on the line....and hopefully a fish!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

ICEHOLE

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2021, 07:11 AM »
I catch plenty of bass on my 7' medium 1 peice cabelas tourney rod. $50...
1 piece for that application is key in my opinion if you want the right "feel"
i pretty much only sling jerk baits in the spring... lots of fish in the 5-6lb range on that rod.
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

fishingeek

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2021, 08:00 PM »
I picked up a St. Croix Avid AVS68mxf spinning this season for jerkbait. In my opinion, an extra fast tip is necessary to help impart the action and rip the jerkbait.

Hardwaterhonkey

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2021, 07:00 AM »
Dobyns! Kaden 6’10” cb special, made for the jerks

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2021, 08:16 PM »
They all work!  I've tried a bunch of brands...high end low end and in between.  You can spend a ton of money or a moderate amount or 50 bucks and they will all catch.  To me this isnt a question someone can answer, I have to answer it myself by buying trying, repeating.  All part of the fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.