FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Open water fish after ice out.  (Read 757 times)

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
Open water fish after ice out.
« on: Mar 22, 2021, 12:20 PM »
Couldn't make it north for a late season ice trip, so I stuck local and hit some open waters this past weekend.
One of my favorite early spring waters has always been productive for pickerel, but this weekend the bass took center stage.

This pond was one of many that suffered from a winter kill a few years back, and it was encouraging to see that bass were making a solid comeback.
I mean, the pickerel were always there as well as sunfish and perch, but the bass suffered most.
Now they seem to be on the rebound and it's a good feeling.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

stripernut

Re: Open water fish after ice out.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2021, 01:16 PM »
I am sure it felt good to get a bend in the rod!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
Re: Open water fish after ice out.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2021, 11:47 AM »
Sure did.
Hit a local river close to home and was able to sight fish for pickerel.
It's a blast to watch them "sneak up" on the lure, and when you twitch it, watch them pounce.
They are one of a few fish that even when they throw a hook/lure, will be willing to strike that same lure if you put it in front of them.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.