FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513889 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2070 on: May 04, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Pulled the piston this afternoon and lashed down the top. 45 mph steady and gusts to 60. Don't wNt the top to end up in the neighbor's yard. Blowing like hell right now.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2071 on: May 04, 2018, 07:17 PM »
The old greenhouses were rocking and rolling today...  Hope all is still there in the morning.... :P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2072 on: May 04, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Just chased down the top to my cold  frame. I had it strapped down till I got home and saw that the temps were approaching 100* so I unstrapped it and propped it open. Went over to the neighbors for some Friday Night  relaxation and got pretty relaxed. When I got home I saw the top about 30 yards from the planter. It took me a few tries in 45+ mph winds to get it back in place. It actually knocked me down a couple of times.

Then I noticed the top for my compost bin tornoff and laying on the ground.

Repairs tomorrow.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2073 on: May 04, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Sorry for your damage Bob.

Oh and me and my bride stopped to help this guy across the road on our way down the hill this evening..... ;D

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2074 on: May 05, 2018, 05:41 AM »
Big old snapper! Saw one the other day in the pond where I bullhead fish that was pretty huge.

Surveyed the damages this morning. Nothing I can't fix easily. Couldn't believe the whole cover flew 20 yards away. Tore the hinges right out and pulled the vent opener out of the bracket. I'll be putting some auxiliary latches on the lid when I do the repairs.The compost bin lid was just ripped off breaking the top boards where the hinges connected. The top weighs about 25 lbs. Don't know what the peak gust was but it's survived 60+ winds for many years now. There were reports of micro-bursts in the area, but not much real damage around here. The last big wind storm took care of anything that was ready to fall I guess.

Beautiful day ahead. 75, low humidity, light winds......what a difference a day makes.

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #2075 on: May 05, 2018, 09:37 AM »
Is there a significant difference between garden soil and raised bed garden soil? I want to add to some to my existing raised beds but wasn’t sure if there was a need a to pay a few extra dollars to get the raised bed garden soil.

Does anyone have any experience, one way or the other?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2076 on: May 05, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Only real differencei is the amount of perlite and sand. Buy the garden soil, a bale of Sphagnum Peat, bag of perlite and a bag of play sand and mix your own. Doesn't hurt to add blood and bone meal as well.

My beds get a generous layer of mulched leaves and grass clippings from the compost bin in the fall. Springtime I till that in along with composted cow manure, peat, sand, perlite and vermiculite.

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #2077 on: May 06, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Only real differencei is the amount of perlite and sand. Buy the garden soil, a bale of Sphagnum Peat, bag of perlite and a bag of play sand and mix your own. Doesn't hurt to add blood and bone meal as well.

My beds get a generous layer of mulched leaves and grass clippings from the compost bin in the fall. Springtime I till that in along with composted cow manure, peat, sand, perlite and vermiculite.

Rg

Thanks RG. I ended up buying the regular garden soil and will treat it the same way I’ve treated the dirt I dug up out back.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2078 on: May 06, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Good idea. That way you'll know what you have and haven't got.

I built a Bee Hotel today for our solitary bee friends that pollinate our gardens.

I repurposed the squirrel maze I made a couple years ago. They're too dumb to use it anyway. After laying it out and collecting a variety of nest tube materials I emptied it and gave it a coat of solid body stain. Still pondering where I'm going to hang it and I have a couple more nest tube ideas to work on.

We have a lot of different solitary bee species around here. The sunflowers I grow every year along with the flower gardens draws them in. So...I thought a free hotel would be a nice thank you for the service they provide.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2079 on: May 06, 2018, 03:57 PM »
All hung up and ready for business.

Next up....the wildflower patch.
Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #2080 on: May 06, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Well done RG, as usual. Thanks for sharing

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2081 on: May 06, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Self serving really. I need bees around to pollinate my veggies. Fun build though. Kept the old brain pan warm.

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2082 on: May 06, 2018, 07:36 PM »

Didn't play in the dirt per say.... But I did visit a coup[le local nurseries. Lasniki's and Hafners. Lisa got a clementines at Lasniki's and a Endless Summer Hydrangea at Hafners. I got a couple Raspberry plants. It's a start.  8)   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2083 on: May 07, 2018, 04:06 AM »
Picked my first asparagus last night. The potatoes have leave ps on them. Most of my seedlings are sprouted and working on their first set of new leaves. I'll probably be transplanting to the garden next week. Still have some blue hosta to put in the ground and the wildflower patch to put in.

I love this busy season.

Rg

tomturkey

« Reply #2084 on: May 07, 2018, 07:52 AM »
My son has 10 bee hives. They looked like they made it through the winter with our early warm up. Then it got real cold. Now it looks like he last 8 of the 10. he lost all 10 the winter before this.

He had more bees ordered wanting to increase the number of hives so it looks like there is not going to be a big increase of hives.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.