FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Imus is GONE!!  (Read 4242 times)

anthonyebola

Imus is GONE!!
« on: Apr 13, 2007, 06:49 PM »
  I just read in the press herald that Imus was taken off both CBS and MSNBC... Thats crazy hes been doing his thing for atleast 30 years....

Red

Re: Imus is GONE!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2007, 06:50 PM »
Yeah, guess he shoulda kept his mouth shut - can't say things like that on a public forum when you broadcast for companies like those...

fshnfool

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2007, 06:57 PM »
after all the major advertising companies pulled their ads......and all the controversy that will follow him till the day he dies......it was an inevitable decision on thier part.  Can't blame em.....guys an idiot

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2007, 06:59 PM »
yea pulled him yesterday I think

Fishing is life

MIRC!

HighlandLK

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2007, 07:17 PM »
i had been listening to him in the AM for about a month now- I am glad that there will be something else to take his place, his show sucked and it was his time to retire, lets hope no one else picks up the I-man.

madmichael365

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2007, 07:48 PM »
good ridence.

panfishpounder

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2007, 12:54 AM »
I agree that what he said was not appropriate at all,  But what about freedom of speech.  I do not condone what was said, but to lose you job over it.  I think the thing that makes me the maddest is Al frankton and Jesse Jackson.  They pretty much started, or brought it to every media outlets attention, demanding he apologize.  I think they should also be apologizing to those Duke students whose names they helped drag through the mud.  I am not racist in any way, but these two guys make............ Well, I will just leave that alone. 
This is your life, are you who you wanna be???

travisj88

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2007, 05:30 AM »
You knew as soon as sponsors started to drop him that they would let him go.  He will probably show up on xm radio (no FCC to follow).  Some people just don't think before they speak.

Grimace

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2007, 05:31 AM »
Freedom of speech has nothing to do with losing your job.   He can't be charged with anything but his boss doesn't have to keep him.   

Chucker

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2007, 09:30 AM »
You knew as soon as sponsors started to drop him that they would let him go.  He will probably show up on xm radio (no FCC to follow).  Some people just don't think before they speak.

I heard an interesting take on this yesterday.  If MSNBC and CBS were so outraged by what he said, why did it take them a week to can him?  They sat on their hands praying it would blow over because Imus made so much money for them.  He only got fired because the advertising money was angered, and severed their deals.

fozsey

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2007, 02:38 AM »
I am no fan of Mr. Imus but I think it is hypocritical for the powers that be to use him as a political sacrificial lamb. If what he said was so inflammatory that he should be put to death then I have a list of others that should have walked the plank first. Lets start with Rosie O Donnell. She deserves a big muzzle. CBS and MSMBC paid Don Imus to do exactly what he was doing AND each knew what they were getting. This story wouldn't have been a story without the drive-by media accompanied by Jackson and Sharpton. Speaking of hypocrites, those two let black rappers use that type of language every day (which is where it came from) and say nothing, but if one white idiot makes a stupid statement using the same language, and they circle the wagons to burn them at the stake. That doesn't make sense to me.

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2007, 07:48 AM »
General thoughts -

1. Jackson and Sharpton are big time problems with race relations themselves.  They cause more hatred than they eliminate.
2. Imus' employers only canned him because of the pulled money (loss of advertisers) - not because of any kind of sensitivity/PC concerns.
3. I have heard the arguement about rappers many times over recently.  I know they use language as bad and worse than Imus.  I think it's different though.  I'm not saying its good that rappers use that language, but different.  Think about it - you expect that kind of trash from rappers if you buy their music.  You don't expect it from Imus or someone on that type of format.  Kind of like movies.  You can't take your kids to see an R rated movie and then complain that they saw some woman naked.  But if you take them to a G movie from Disney, and there is a naked woman - that's worth complaining about.  The rappers and the attitude they put out there towards women/sex/drugs/cops/whatever is a problem - but not a fair comparison for the Imus situation.
4.  In general, the media is fickle and hypocritical.  They would all sell their sould to the devil for higher ratings.  Imus made his comment - and there is outrage in the media.  But they replay it over and over and over.  Don't be surprised if it becomes one of those cultural sayings that lingers in every day speech for a while.  The stuff on cable news shows is trash.  How many stories do we really need about Anna Nicole Smith?  It's not important news to more than a handful of people involved.  But the "real" news broadcasts can't walk away from it.  It belongs on one of those hollywood gossip types of shows like Extra.  News in this country is a real joke.
5.  And in the interest of letting everyone know where I stand - I have never listened to Imus.  Can't say that I liked or disliked his show.  I just don't know.

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2007, 08:29 AM »
but if he was black saying it about white people none of this controversy would have ever happend. the racsism card has been played to death in this country.
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

fozsey

« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2007, 08:49 PM »
General thoughts -

1. Jackson and Sharpton are big time problems with race relations themselves.  They cause more hatred than they eliminate.
2. Imus' employers only canned him because of the pulled money (loss of advertisers) - not because of any kind of sensitivity/PC concerns.
3. I have heard the arguement about rappers many times over recently.  I know they use language as bad and worse than Imus.  I think it's different though.  I'm not saying its good that rappers use that language, but different.  Think about it - you expect that kind of trash from rappers if you buy their music.  You don't expect it from Imus or someone on that type of format.  Kind of like movies.  You can't take your kids to see an R rated movie and then complain that they saw some woman naked.  But if you take them to a G movie from Disney, and there is a naked woman - that's worth complaining about.  The rappers and the attitude they put out there towards women/sex/drugs/cops/whatever is a problem - but not a fair comparison for the Imus situation.
4.  In general, the media is fickle and hypocritical.  They would all sell their sould to the devil for higher ratings.  Imus made his comment - and there is outrage in the media.  But they replay it over and over and over.  Don't be surprised if it becomes one of those cultural sayings that lingers in every day speech for a while.  The stuff on cable news shows is trash.  How many stories do we really need about Anna Nicole Smith?  It's not important news to more than a handful of people involved.  But the "real" news broadcasts can't walk away from it.  It belongs on one of those hollywood gossip types of shows like Extra.  News in this country is a real joke.
5.  And in the interest of letting everyone know where I stand - I have never listened to Imus.  Can't say that I liked or disliked his show.  I just don't know.

I disagree that there is no correlation between Imus's statement and rap music. When I was in highschool 20+ years ago I never heard the phrase ho's used in any music, hip hop or otherwise. That statement and others like it were coined by the rap industry and any white person using the, perfectly acceptable through the music, phrases is targeted as a racist. Imus was and is, by definition, a "shock jock." His tones, attitudes, statements, demeanor, vocabulary, and all included persona are all what was expected of him and what brought in the following along with the money. To me, this type of action reminds me of the Howard Stern incident when the FCC came in and started spreading fines around for language violations but when asked where the actual line was that was crossed the FCC made the statement that there is no "set in stone" line to cross but if and when you cross it we will let you know. For the record I don't buy rap music, nor do I allow my kids to. I don't expect to hear the language they use any more than I expect to see cialus ads pop up during my hunting and fishing tv programs or in the pages of my magazines. They both anger me. To me, each is in of itself wrong by its very virtue and although I fully support the first amendment I sometimes feel that the muzzles should be handed out much more frequently than they are and Don Imus shouldn't have been the first to get one.

OTIS

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2007, 11:45 AM »
The problem is that the laws are not enforced the same for everyone.  You don't see a White Entertainment Channel, or a Mrs. White America contest, and you never will.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.