MFF US Northwest > Wyoming

Ask the Wyoming Game & Fish

<< < (30/31) > >>

wyofish218:
Can the cutt slam qualifiers be caught anywhere in the state, or do they have to be caught in their original native ranges per the map on the game and fish website? Asking because I caught  a Snake River Cutthroat on the Grey Reef section of the Platte. Thank you.

Dorado:

--- Quote from: wyofish218 on Apr 18, 2017, 10:24 PM ---Can the cutt slam qualifiers be caught anywhere in the state, or do they have to be caught in their original native ranges per the map on the game and fish website? Asking because I caught  a Snake River Cutthroat on the Grey Reef section of the Platte. Thank you.

--- End quote ---

They do need to be caught in their native range....the original idea behind the cuttslam was to get people excited about catching wild trout in their native range...

thirdeye:
I posted this on Ice Shanty, and now that I found this site I'm doing a cross-post

In looking at the 2017 Regs I see that trout beads can now be used above a bare hook, as well as a above an artificial fly (above meaning 2" or less from the eye of the hook), and further the Regs state that a trout bead used with a bare hook is considered an artificial lure in the same category as a jig, spoon, spinner etc. Within the definition for artificial lures the Regs state: "artificial flies and lures do not include living or dead organisms or edible parts thereof, natural or prepared organic food stuffs, or chemical attractants".  I'm thinking this is to further clarify the interpretation/definition of "artificial" when the lure itself is manufactured..., but I have a question below:

Q:  Provided one is not fishing in an artificial only area of water... Does this mean that a bare hook, with properly positioned trout bead can't be tipped with any type of bait like is common when jigging or trolling with a spoon or spinner?

WGFFishBio:

--- Quote from: thirdeye on Apr 29, 2017, 07:17 AM ---I posted this on Ice Shanty, and now that I found this site I'm doing a cross-post

In looking at the 2017 Regs I see that trout beads can now be used above a bare hook, as well as a above an artificial fly (above meaning 2" or less from the eye of the hook), and further the Regs state that a trout bead used with a bare hook is considered an artificial lure in the same category as a jig, spoon, spinner etc. Within the definition for artificial lures the Regs state: "artificial flies and lures do not include living or dead organisms or edible parts thereof, natural or prepared organic food stuffs, or chemical attractants".  I'm thinking this is to further clarify the interpretation/definition of "artificial" when the lure itself is manufactured..., but I have a question below:

Q:  Provided one is not fishing in an artificial only area of water... Does this mean that a bare hook, with properly positioned trout bead can't be tipped with any type of bait like is common when jigging or trolling with a spoon or spinner?

--- End quote ---
If you're not fishing an "Artificial Only" water, that means you can use bait, thus you can tip your hooks with any legal bait for that water.  Regardless if you want to use a bead or not. You are correct, the statements above were for clarification of beading and artificial. 

Hope this helped

thirdeye:
Thanks so much for the clarification.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version