FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 515309 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4170 on: Apr 22, 2021, 05:49 AM »
You got me thinking about making some window boxes for the farmers market we’ll be selling at this summer. Not a bad idea at all.

Hope our flowers come back from this cold snap. The tulips and daffodils look pretty sad right now. Garlic still looks ok though.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4171 on: Apr 22, 2021, 06:01 AM »
All my daffodils, crocus and tulips that just came up are shot. Hope it didn’t hurt my hostas..  Same with the apple and cherry blossoms..... :(
 18* here this morning...... >:(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4172 on: Apr 22, 2021, 06:09 AM »
It’s 28 here and supposed to get above freezing fairly quick I think. We'll hope for the best.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #4173 on: Apr 22, 2021, 03:19 PM »
My plants look pretty good here. It wen down to i think 28 also . We got a good 4-5 inches of snow that might have actually protected them. most of the snow is gone already

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4174 on: Apr 22, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Sun snow sun snow sun snow......
The auto louvres on the big greenhouse couldn’t make up there mind......
Another 18,000 plugs showed up this morning...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4175 on: Apr 22, 2021, 04:09 PM »
It’s been like that here all day. 40* and snow squalls on and off. Very weird weather.
Rg

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #4176 on: Apr 22, 2021, 04:47 PM »
Got about 3” and it was a whiteout off and on this morning. All my plants were covered in the white crap. It was all gone after lunch and I did a walk around this afternoon. All my plants look to have made it through just fine. Wind is brutal out there!

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4177 on: Apr 22, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Need some help. Bride is in charge of the flower beds. Problem is she broke her foot Saturday, so she’s unable to plant the next 4 weeks.

The issue she has had is that all her perennials are green. Looking to add some color other than annuals.

So my question is, what’s your favorite colored perennial? This is my chance to enhance the flower beds without having a debate as to what to plant.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Bartman44

« Reply #4178 on: Apr 22, 2021, 06:39 PM »
Sorry to hear about your wife's foot. I've broken a few too many bones here and there, not fun. Best wishes on her recovery.

My wife has 2 perennial gardens and she actually started growing cactus in them last year.  She's heavy into the purple stuff (like phlox and lupine) but also likes the Shasta Daisies.   

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4179 on: Apr 22, 2021, 08:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about your wife's foot. I've broken a few too many bones here and there, not fun. Best wishes on her recovery.

My wife has 2 perennial gardens and she actually started growing cactus in them last year.  She's heavy into the purple stuff (like phlox and lupine) but also likes the Shasta Daisies.

Thanks Bartman! Those look like they are great options.

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #4180 on: Apr 22, 2021, 10:03 PM »
ATC I hope the wife heals quickly. Phlox is an excellent ground cover and comes in many colors. Spreads quickly too. English Primrose is a beautiful spring bloomer with multiple colors.  Daisy varieties  ( shasta , black eyed susan and purple cone flowers bloom all summer ) I'm also a fan of lilies, both day and asiatic. I hope this helps. Look around your area. Soon people will be digging up and separating perennials and often sell or give them away

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4181 on: Apr 23, 2021, 04:37 AM »
Our shady perennials  consist  of hostas, plantains, oxalis ( green and purple) and bleeding heart. The sunny gardens have cone flowers, Shasta daisies, tulips, daffodils, asiatic lilies, balloon flowers, sedum, brown eyed Susan’s and others that I’m sure I’m forgetting.

I had to transplant the sedum and coneflowers from one garden. They grew way too tall and aggressively. So they got their  own corners around the vegetable gardens. The bees love them.

Our perennials vines are  4 varieties of clematis . This year I’m adding Passion flower and brown eyed Susan vines to our annual trellises.

We also spread a bag of wildflower mix every year in a few spots. It’s amazing the variety of constant blooms that appear from a few little packages of the mix. Some have become perennial and I suspect more will self seed each year.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4182 on: Apr 23, 2021, 05:00 AM »
You guys covered it pretty well. 
 If you google colorful perennials there’s a lot of those and more.
 Just make sure you get the right ones for the location and conditions...

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4183 on: Apr 23, 2021, 06:03 AM »
All great suggestions, thanks guys.

She has always threatened to spread wild flowers by the road, once leaf cleanup season wraps up. That sounds like it’s right up my alley.

Hostas are a plenty, which is why I want to add some color. hostas and other green plants. The color will be welcome.

I’ll make sure I take a before and after to share. Likely around Mother’s Day

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4184 on: Apr 23, 2021, 06:23 AM »
I use this one.

Huge variety and so easy. I just scratch up the soil with a hard rake, spread and walk around on it to push it in a bit. Stuff starts blooming by the end of may and continues right to the hard frost.

You’ll love it. We’re always amazed at all the flowers.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.